Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Shanghai R3: Murray vs Dolgopolov - Thu 11th Oct 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predict the Result
Murray in 2 - 11 (52.4%)
Murray in 3 - 9 (42.9%)
Dolgopolov in 2 - 0 (0%)
Dolgopolov in 3 - 1 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Down Reply
Author

Shanghai R3: Murray vs Dolgopolov - Thu 11th Oct

(Read 5783 times)
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Shanghai R3: Murray vs Dolgopolov - Thu 11th Oct « Reply #180 on: October 11, 2012, 08:02 PM »

Just had the chance to come on here now-delighted for Andy that he got the win.That's our boy!Now here's to  the same outcome in the QF Very Happy
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Shanghai R3: Murray vs Dolgopolov - Thu 11th Oct « Reply #181 on: October 11, 2012, 08:04 PM »

For folks who weren't able to watch, here's the last few points:

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Shanghai R3: Murray vs Dolgopolov - Thu 11th Oct « Reply #182 on: October 11, 2012, 08:06 PM »

And here's his post match interview with Sky:

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,12602_8158202,00.html
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Shanghai R3: Murray vs Dolgopolov - Thu 11th Oct « Reply #183 on: October 11, 2012, 09:48 PM »

I couldn't watch the interview, even after I signed in..... but thanks for puting out the URL.

It was nice this morning got out of bed and there was Andy playing, so got to watch while I got ready for work.

I missed the first set, but it seemed like Andy was tired or disgusted looking, and back to his old tricks of breaking racquets.  I really do not think this is the classy Andy I saw win the Olympics or US Open.  I understand him getting angry when he doesn't consolidate a break, but perhaps he needs to get some head help when it comes to consolidating a break.  It seems like he has problems doing that.  Is that just my opinion or do others see that as well.  I wonder if the little voice in his head says, "well you just broke the guy, but wonder if you will give it right back to him."

Glad Andy got that first match under his belt... I imagine it was just like having a delayed 1st round.

Good luck in your next match Andy, and please "win the last point"!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Shanghai R3: Murray vs Dolgopolov - Thu 11th Oct « Reply #184 on: October 12, 2012, 06:50 AM »

Apollo......Andy has improved immensley these past months, but he's bound to have the occasional slip! He already has 'head help' in Mr. Lendl. I think we should cut him some slack and not worry about it! He'll never be perfect......just like the rest of us and he wouldn't be Andy if he was!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Shanghai R3: Murray vs Dolgopolov - Thu 11th Oct « Reply #185 on: October 12, 2012, 06:54 AM »

I agree Caz. We wouldn't Andy to be like you-know-who now would we?  nah
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Shanghai R3: Murray vs Dolgopolov - Thu 11th Oct « Reply #186 on: October 12, 2012, 07:07 AM »

I agree Caz. We wouldn't Andy to be like you-know-who now would we?  nah
Funny you should say that BBH! It was the exact thought that went through my head too and then I remembered the "SHUT UUUP!"  w00t
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Shanghai R3: Murray vs Dolgopolov - Thu 11th Oct « Reply #187 on: October 12, 2012, 08:08 AM »

Actually I don't recall Andy being a racquet smasher in the past - he was more likely to smash his hands with the racquet in a rather painful looking form of self abuse.  Andy has always tended to turn his frustration inwards rather than outwards and perhaps this is a new strategy to get it out of his system quicker.  And you'll see on news articles thread that he is indeed now getting 'head help' though more with regard to the relationship between his off court and on court self it sounds like.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Shanghai R3: Murray vs Dolgopolov - Thu 11th Oct « Reply #188 on: October 12, 2012, 08:44 AM »

Andy was asked about the racquet on a Scottish news interview, and he said something along the lines of it getting the anger out and meant he wasn't letting it simmer.  He'd have to pay a fine, but it was worth it, because he played better after that.

I'm not a fan of racquet smashing myself, but it doesn't particularly bother me either.  I thought it was interesting that he chose to simply explain it, not to apologise for it.  I also think it's a bit silly when people say he should be more calm and collected because he was winning, and so on.  One of the reasons he, and the rest of the top players, are so successful is because they believe they should be getting all of those points back, and not making silly errors.  It's easy to be philisophical, or arguably realistic, about his chances of winning a particular point, but being a bit unrealistic about what they can achieve is driving them to be their best for every point in every game in every match.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Shanghai R3: Murray vs Dolgopolov - Thu 11th Oct « Reply #189 on: October 12, 2012, 09:45 AM »

Andy was asked about the racquet on a Scottish news interview, and he said something along the lines of it getting the anger out and meant he wasn't letting it simmer.  He'd have to pay a fine, but it was worth it, because he played better after that.

I'm not a fan of racquet smashing myself, but it doesn't particularly bother me either.  I thought it was interesting that he chose to simply explain it, not to apologise for it.  I also think it's a bit silly when people say he should be more calm and collected because he was winning, and so on.  One of the reasons he, and the rest of the top players, are so successful is because they believe they should be getting all of those points back, and not making silly errors.  It's easy to be philisophical, or arguably realistic, about his chances of winning a particular point, but being a bit unrealistic about what they can achieve is driving them to be their best for every point in every game in every match.
good post

And welcome.
IP Logged
Coldmarek
Top Seed

Andy Murray is better than you.

Re: Shanghai R3: Murray vs Dolgopolov - Thu 11th Oct « Reply #190 on: October 12, 2012, 09:48 AM »

Alright no worries. It is getting better now.
IP Logged
Coldmarek
Top Seed

Andy Murray is better than you.

Re: Shanghai R3: Murray vs Dolgopolov - Thu 11th Oct « Reply #191 on: October 12, 2012, 10:11 AM »

what were those two last balls?
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Shanghai R3: Murray vs Dolgopolov - Thu 11th Oct « Reply #192 on: October 12, 2012, 10:31 AM »

what were those two last balls?
wrong thread???
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Shanghai R3: Murray vs Dolgopolov - Thu 11th Oct « Reply #193 on: October 12, 2012, 12:22 PM »

Andy was asked about the racquet on a Scottish news interview, and he said something along the lines of it getting the anger out and meant he wasn't letting it simmer.  He'd have to pay a fine, but it was worth it, because he played better after that.

I'm not a fan of racquet smashing myself, but it doesn't particularly bother me either.  I thought it was interesting that he chose to simply explain it, not to apologise for it.  I also think it's a bit silly when people say he should be more calm and collected because he was winning, and so on.  One of the reasons he, and the rest of the top players, are so successful is because they believe they should be getting all of those points back, and not making silly errors.  It's easy to be philisophical, or arguably realistic, about his chances of winning a particular point, but being a bit unrealistic about what they can achieve is driving them to be their best for every point in every game in every match.

Good posting!

Andy smashing a racquet, or belting a ball as he did today, has to be better than stewing on the frustration like he used to do. The key is how he deals with the aftermath. Does he stay angry and play badly, or does he get better? If it makes him better, which it did against Dolgopolov yesterday, and also against Stepanek today, there is no issue. In my opinion the Andy who stews on errors for ages is gone, and has been replaced by a young man who is much calmer on the whole, but still has the fire that gives him and the others in that elite group, what they need to win.

It seems to me that the question is simple. Do we want someone who sometimes needs to let his frustration out at the expense of an inanimate object like a racquet to get the best out of himself, or do we want someone who rants at himself for points at a time, which can then stop him thinking clearly enough to get out of a tight spot? I know which I prefer, because you can bet that the Andy of old would probably have lost to Cilic in the USO, and may well have lost to Stepanek today.
[ Last edit by teejay1 October 12, 2012, 03:41 PM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Shanghai R3: Murray vs Dolgopolov - Thu 11th Oct « Reply #194 on: October 12, 2012, 03:28 PM »

I prefer him to let of steam it is far better for him to let it out than hold it in. He was becoming fustrated in today's match against Stepanek but came through in the end so if he got rid of his fustration all the better.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »