Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Shanghai QF: Murray vs Stepanek 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Murray in 2. - 22 (73.3%)
Murray in 3. - 6 (20%)
Stepanek in 2. - 1 (3.3%)
Stepanek in 3. - 0 (0%)
The world will implode. - 1 (3.3%)
Total Voters: 30

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Shanghai QF: Murray vs Stepanek  (Read 5949 times)
colin
Satellite Level

Re: Shanghai QF: Murray vs Stepanek « Reply #495 on: October 12, 2012, 12:00 PM »

Isner is third. With all his practice you would think he would do better, he had 38 wins and 14 loses. more wins and more losses than Darcis and Murray put together.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Shanghai QF: Murray vs Stepanek « Reply #496 on: October 12, 2012, 12:03 PM »

Night Linda wave Off to bed myself now. zz
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Shanghai QF: Murray vs Stepanek « Reply #497 on: October 12, 2012, 12:18 PM »

Good win today. Andy fought hard and did so well to come back in the third set. I like Stepanek's game, nice to see players who use a lot of variety on court as it's quite unusual in today's game. It was good to see Andy gradually work Stepanek's game out and raise his level when he needed to.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Shanghai QF: Murray vs Stepanek « Reply #498 on: October 12, 2012, 12:18 PM »

And I'm not long up! Good to follow the last few games of the match "live" on here. Andy has my sympathies. Have a cold myself and if I hadn't had today off work already certainly wouldn't have gone in! Can't imagine what it's like playing any sort of sport with one, never mind a highly competitive tennis match.

Will be interesting to see his rematch with Federer. Hope he's match fit by then
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Shanghai QF: Murray vs Stepanek « Reply #499 on: October 12, 2012, 12:31 PM »

tj someone posted a quote from Andy earlier today that mentioned he hadn't been well in Tokyo.

Yes, I saw. I just didn't know at the time. In a sense, it sounds awful to say, I am a little relieved. I was concerned that what appeared to be stiffness at times might be down to his back, but as he has had a bug maybe that explains it. It's funny to be honest, yesterday, after watching Andy play, I started to feel off colour. Woke up this morning with a cold. I doubt I've caught it from Andy, but it would be quite a claim to fame lol.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Shanghai QF: Murray vs Stepanek « Reply #500 on: October 12, 2012, 12:48 PM »

Hi All,

Ahh, it's Kim's birthday! That makes sense then, Andy must have a pet name for her. It definitely began with 'N' but I couldn't make it out. The young man needs to learn to write backwards, a clear neccessity for a modern tennis player  Whistle.

Anyway, well done to Andy for getting through when obviously not feeling 100%. He just looked a step or so slow in that first set especially, wasn't putting himself in the best positions for his shots. He wobbled again in the third there, but he sorted it. Good man clap.

The mark of a champion is getting through when your back is to the wall, and that is what Andy did today. I think responses like we saw today are so encouraging for the future.

I hope Andy is feeling better tomorrow and sorts his movement out. He'll need it whoever he faces. It's weird, but I kind of hope Fed wins today, and then Djokovic beats Berdych. Of course, Andy would have to be on form to win, but I just think he rises to the situation with the top players, so I'd still give him a good chance of retaining the title, but it would help if he could recover a bit.

Anyway, well done today Champ, clap clap clap clap and happy birthday Kim.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Shanghai QF: Murray vs Stepanek « Reply #501 on: October 12, 2012, 01:02 PM »

Great summary Teejay, I think Murray has certainly changed something this year. Although he's looked down and out on many occasions, he's pulled back and won like a true champ. The Andy of old would not do that and he would of not won the us open or come back today...
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Shanghai QF: Murray vs Stepanek « Reply #502 on: October 12, 2012, 01:14 PM »

Couldn't believe when Andy shouted out how he was feeling - and then goes on to win the match!  Playing a tennis match with a bad cold isn't easy - I know, I've done it, and that was at a much, much lower level.

Happy birthday Kim.  Hope Andy gave you a nice pressy!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Shanghai QF: Murray vs Stepanek « Reply #503 on: October 12, 2012, 01:30 PM »

While waiting for Fed/Cilic to start, comms have just said Andy has been struggling with his health this week. Says he's got a bad cough which started last week, when he had trouble breathing. Felt a bit better today.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Shanghai QF: Murray vs Stepanek « Reply #504 on: October 12, 2012, 01:31 PM »

Hi All,

Ahh, it's Kim's birthday! That makes sense then, Andy must have a pet name for her. It definitely began with 'N' but I couldn't make it out. The young man needs to learn to write backwards, a clear neccessity for a modern tennis player  Whistle.

Anyway, well done today Champ, clap clap clap clap and happy birthday Kim.
Sky comms say it was  Happy Birthday 'gorg' - his pet name for her - appropriate too.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Shanghai QF: Murray vs Stepanek « Reply #505 on: October 12, 2012, 01:34 PM »

Sky comms say it was  Happy Birthday 'gorg' - his pet name for her - appropriate too.
aaaw that's sweet!
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Shanghai QF: Murray vs Stepanek « Reply #506 on: October 12, 2012, 01:34 PM »

Aww, that's sweet!  wub
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Shanghai QF: Murray vs Stepanek « Reply #507 on: October 12, 2012, 01:45 PM »

Oh,that's so so lovely-and as you said Janscribe,what an apt nickname!
I once read a piece which said something like,"a winning Andy makes for a smiling Kim",so when he won the match and I realised,thanks to here,that it was her birthday,I thought how cute that he'd given her a reason to smile,even if he couldn't be at home with her.Now I've seen that I'll bet she was beaming!Ahh,I love them together,they're so cute Very Happy
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Shanghai QF: Murray vs Stepanek « Reply #508 on: October 12, 2012, 01:50 PM »

Good win today. Andy fought hard and did so well to come back in the third set. I like Stepanek's game, nice to see players who use a lot of variety on court as it's quite unusual in today's game. It was good to see Andy gradually work Stepanek's game out and raise his level when he needed to.

Yeah, I too like Stepanek's game. Always very interesting to watch. One of the few players I really enjoy watching.

But that was a tight win for Andy. I am glad he won but I don't feel he's quite there mentally after the USO and he's defending this title 3 years in a row now, so this itself, is a tough task. And he has a really tough challenge ahead of him - first Federer, second either Nole or Berdcyh - both equally tough. Federer did say that it will be interesting to watch Andy’s career the next 9 months, but I am willing to write the rest of the year off because I don’t think Andy has fully recovered yet. He may want to give it a real fight at WTF, but otherwise I don’t see him at the top of his game.

Federer isn't looking as sharp himself either but he may raise his level as he goes along. It's been a while for him too. As to Nole, I think Berdych might be craving for this one. I guess we'll find out.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Shanghai QF: Murray vs Stepanek « Reply #509 on: October 12, 2012, 01:59 PM »

Well it didn't look like 'gorg' to me, I could have sworn that first letter was an 'n'. Either his handwriting is rubbish, or my eyesight has deteriorated lol. Everyone is absolutely right though, it's sweet, and very appropriate.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »