Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 Go Down Reply
Author

Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012?

(Read 8824 times)
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #180 on: January 31, 2012, 05:27 PM »

I am totally gutted that Andy is not going to be there – I bought tickets for the whole weekend and can’t help but think it is going to be a bit of an anti-climax.  Last year the whole atmosphere was due to there being a global sports star in the arena.  I hope that GP get the win but without Andy just can’t see it.  Am sure that Colin and Ross will do us proud but can see it being a disappointing result.

I think Andy is doing the right thing, he needs to prepare for the long season ahead, he really is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t – everyone wants him to win a GS so when he puts that above DC he is slated – if he plays DC and then risks damaging his GS preparations – guess what he is slated !!!!  It is not Andy’s fault that he is the only player that can practically guarantee a win for Team GB.  Andy winning his two singles each time is only papering over the cracks – I bet he is gutted that he cannot play and support Leon Smith but he has to do the sensible thing.  There are a lorry load of points available for him to snap up and secure third place before the next GS he has to do what is right for him.

If there are Scottish songs at the Braehead then that will be because it’s in Scotland – nobody objected last time and there were only 2 scots in the team !!!!  I don’t agree there is political unrest just now – devolution is something that will either happen or won’t there are pro’s and cons to it that the people of Scotland need to be made fully aware of before we can vote on it.  Be interesting to see if we do go down the road of independence what will happen to GB tennis – a lot of the up and coming starts being tipped to succeed are Scottish and due to the influence to Andy, Jamie and Judy Murray.

Will still go to down to Braehead and support the team but not really as excited as I was last time and it has made my mind up to save like fury for a wee trip to the O2 in November!!!!

Lovely words, I remember seeing your post when you received your tickets and know how gutted you must be, but as a true Andy fan you are looking at the situation from Andy's point of view.  Of course he must rest and heal after his amazing Australian campaign.  He would've loved to have played at Braehead after the wonderful atmosphere last time but once again is making a personal sacrifice to advance his cause right at the very top.  He is so very nearly there and knows he must now push himself to the very pinnacle.  2012 is shaping up to be an iconic year and Andy clearly means business. 
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #181 on: January 31, 2012, 05:37 PM »

Well I am Scottish first and Australian second and God Save the Queen offends me. Perhaps you should listen to the second verse of God Save the Queen. Perhaps before you make comments about National Anthems you should check your facts. Tell me what has the LTA got to do with anything. The second verse is insulting to Scots and that has been the GB anthem for a lot longer than Flower of Scotland.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #182 on: January 31, 2012, 05:49 PM »

Without getting into this rubbish again - the team represent GB and so questioning an anthem specific to only one country within the union (the lyrics of which do carry anti-English sentiment) is surely reasonable, isn't it?

The entire situation is ludicrous. Scotland has been part of the UK for over 300 years now, time to get over this and realise that you Sweaties do very well out of it.

GSTQ is not really an anthem you hear in Scotland unless England are visiting.  I'm going to the rugby at the weekend and I'll hear GSTQ but it will be the English singing it as their anthem.  I'll be at Braehead the week after and I'll hear it again as my anthem as a Brit.

I think people are too sensitive. Some Scots regard GSTQ as anti-Scottish. The offending verse is no more but people don't forget the fact that it was once a part of the anthem.  I know people in Wales that don't like the anthem either.

We Scots don't get a chance to see Andy at home too often.  Is it really wrong that we want to make a fuss of him when we do?

"Scotland has been part of the UK for over 300 years now, time to get over this and realise that you Sweaties do very well out of it."

Just the sort of nonsense that starts arguments.  I don't want independence because I feel we're stronger together.  If Cameron et al really felt that they were better off without us don't you think they'd want rid of us. The Scots aren't subsidised by the English.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #183 on: January 31, 2012, 05:53 PM »

time to get over this and realise that you Sweaties do very well out of it.
As part of the UK, why shouldn't we?  Your comment above is probably the most inflammatory, Joe.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #184 on: January 31, 2012, 05:53 PM »

I wouldn't have the first idea of the lyrics to Flower Of Scotland just as I only know the first verse of God Save The Queen.  Neither anthem offends me as long as I'm not expected to sing along.  I think all national anthems should be instrumentals then there would be nothing to offend anyone.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #185 on: January 31, 2012, 06:00 PM »

If these guys are so easily insulted, then there's really no hope! 
Quite right Elly.
No wonder there's not peace in the world when things can get so petty. Could they show diplomacy and pehaps play both at some stage, to do honour to the Scots?

I'm English (and Australian) by the way and have nothing against the Scots, Welsh, Irish or Manx Smile  keeping their national identity.
Seriously do we need to go down that road here? Dont we have enough problems with non-Andy fans and the proverbial joke "I'll never forgive Andy Murray, he said to Tim Henman..."

IP Logged
toady
Junior

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #186 on: January 31, 2012, 06:27 PM »

I'm English but have lived in Scotland for 25 years. Don't care for Flower of Scotland but whilst I live here, I figure it's the Scots' right to sing it. I don't have to, and don't.

Murray won't play back at Braehead for years in the DC, can't see it coming back here in the forseeable. I'll still be there but I feel for those like my son who is travelling from Amsterdam for the weekend, he works there and was so taken with our description of the past 2 ties he decided to come along too. Will be interesting to see what the attendance/atmosphere is like without Murray playing. My daughter hates Lendl already as she is convinced this is down to him.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #187 on: January 31, 2012, 06:39 PM »

I think not playing DC is a very wise decision, although I feel sympathy for everybody with tickets (and yes, I do have tickets for R'dam....was a bit premature, I admit...)
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #188 on: January 31, 2012, 07:10 PM »

4 out of the 5 top players are not playing Davis Cup this time round - says it all really!  (Sorry if someone has already posted this.)
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #189 on: January 31, 2012, 07:26 PM »

Don't much like FoS either- Ok as a song but not as an anthem.    But GSTQ is worse - an anthem should be about the country and its people not just about one woman (or man)
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #190 on: January 31, 2012, 07:26 PM »

I am totally gutted that Andy is not going to be there – I bought tickets for the whole weekend and can’t help but think it is going to be a bit of an anti-climax.  Last year the whole atmosphere was due to there being a global sports star in the arena.  I hope that GP get the win but without Andy just can’t see it.  Am sure that Colin and Ross will do us proud but can see it being a disappointing result.

I think Andy is doing the right thing, he needs to prepare for the long season ahead, he really is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t – everyone wants him to win a GS so when he puts that above DC he is slated – if he plays DC and then risks damaging his GS preparations – guess what he is slated !!!!  It is not Andy’s fault that he is the only player that can practically guarantee a win for Team GB.  Andy winning his two singles each time is only papering over the cracks – I bet he is gutted that he cannot play and support Leon Smith but he has to do the sensible thing.  There are a lorry load of points available for him to snap up and secure third place before the next GS he has to do what is right for him.

If there are Scottish songs at the Braehead then that will be because it’s in Scotland – nobody objected last time and there were only 2 scots in the team !!!!  I don’t agree there is political unrest just now – devolution is something that will either happen or won’t there are pro’s and cons to it that the people of Scotland need to be made fully aware of before we can vote on it.  Be interesting to see if we do go down the road of independence what will happen to GB tennis – a lot of the up and coming starts being tipped to succeed are Scottish and due to the influence to Andy, Jamie and Judy Murray.

Will still go to down to Braehead and support the team but not really as excited as I was last time and it has made my mind up to save like fury for a wee trip to the O2 in November!!!!

Gutted for you  M.M, and your still putting Andy 1 st, still I agree it was the right decision , come down to London in november ,although we had tickets for the wednesday and Andy had pulled out.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #191 on: January 31, 2012, 07:27 PM »

I think not playing DC is a very wise decision, although I feel sympathy for everybody with tickets (and yes, I do have tickets for R'dam....was a bit premature, I admit...)
oh no feel for you.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #192 on: January 31, 2012, 10:16 PM »

Well I am Scottish first and Australian second and God Save the Queen offends me. Perhaps you should listen to the second verse of God Save the Queen. Perhaps before you make comments about National Anthems you should check your facts. Tell me what has the LTA got to do with anything. The second verse is insulting to Scots and that has been the GB anthem for a lot longer than Flower of Scotland.

No room for being British in there then? I don't recall anyone saying that they thought God Save The Queen should be sung instead - personally I hate it as I'm a republican atheist, so there you go. If it were up to me then no anthem would be sung, but if it must be then surely an anthem relevant to the whole of Great Britain is more suitable. I think you mean the sixth verse, by the way.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #193 on: January 31, 2012, 10:19 PM »

As part of the UK, why shouldn't we?  Your comment above is probably the most inflammatory, Joe.

Thank you for reacting to the TIC part of my post intended only to poke fun at Littlebuddha's special brew of nationalistic fervour and bigotry! wink
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #194 on: January 31, 2012, 10:30 PM »

I hope people don't think that FOS was played and GSTQ wasn't - not the case at all.  Both were played. The whole team entered the arena with GSTQ playing.  We only heard FOS when Andy was introduced for his match.   The Red Hot Chilli Pipers were fantastic and Andy seemed to like the introduction.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »