Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Down Reply
Author

Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012?

(Read 9254 times)
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #210 on: February 02, 2012, 12:45 PM »

Last time Andy was severely pressurised into playing Davis Cup, with an injury, he was out of action for two months. Do you want this to happen again?
No one player should be in the position of "saving" the team. Rather than criticising you should be asking the question why we have no other player in the top 100.
Incidentally I have NEVER forgiven John Lloyd for that and NEVER will.

I agree totally with what you say BBH!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #211 on: February 02, 2012, 12:47 PM »

Last time Andy was severely pressurised into playing Davis Cup, with an injury, he was out of action for two months. Do you want this to happen again?
No one player should be in the position of "saving" the team. Rather than criticising you should be asking the question why we have no other player in the top 100.
Incidentally I have NEVER forgiven John Lloyd for that and NEVER will.
thumb up  John Lloyd should have been thoroughly ashamed of himself, yet only a few months later he was slating Andy, in his absence from the UK no less, for not playing in the first GB tie against a load of tennis tiddlers.

Also (from The Scotsman) -
Murray had voiced doubts about his participation this time around because of the changes made to the calendar to accommodate the Olympics, with the Davis Cup weeks brought forward from the usual March and July to February and April.

As Andy said that a while back, we can't say we weren't forewarned.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #212 on: February 05, 2012, 07:50 PM »

Mod NoticeOff-topic discussion was moved to here.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #213 on: February 05, 2012, 07:55 PM »

The DC is a team event there is no I in team and Andy cannot be expected to do it all on his own.  He has to do what is right for him personally as 2012 is going to be a very important year for him.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #214 on: February 06, 2012, 02:30 AM »

The DC is a team event there is no I in team and Andy cannot be expected to do it all on his own.  He has to do what is right for him personally as 2012 is going to be a very important year for him.
Also our other male singles' players really do need to have a chance occasionally to show Britain their commitment to the sport, while at the same time gaining confidence and experience, by playing in these ties.  I don't care too much if they lose just so long as they play their hearts out and put up a fight and so give the country something to be proud of.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #215 on: February 10, 2012, 04:06 PM »

what a set from Dan Evans  cmon yeah  yay   clap  clap GB up a set 6-3  cmon yeah 
IP Logged
killieboyd
Satellite Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #216 on: February 10, 2012, 07:25 PM »

First match to Evans!
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #217 on: February 11, 2012, 12:30 PM »

I enjoyed the Dan Evans match, he showed a real ‘Lion heart’ from 0-30 down many times to fight back and hold. I did not get the feeling he was about to crumble. He has a great second serve, and a very good return.
I was disappointed with James Ward, he has a very good first serve, but he did not believe he could win and failed to go for some shots on numerous occasions.
Lovely enjoyable evening out at Braehead, despite no Andy!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #218 on: February 11, 2012, 06:38 PM »

I enjoyed the Dan Evans match, he showed a real ‘Lion heart’ from 0-30 down many times to fight back and hold. I did not get the feeling he was about to crumble. He has a great second serve, and a very good return.
I was disappointed with James Ward, he has a very good first serve, but he did not believe he could win and failed to go for some shots on numerous occasions.
Lovely enjoyable evening out at Braehead, despite no Andy!

Heard Ross Hutchins say in his post-match interview that he thought that the crowd today at Braehead was the best ever.   Now that's some food for thought!

If anyone can pull a win off tomorrow, I reckon it'll be Dan, provided he doesn't crumble under the huge responsibility here.  Unfortunately he's crumbled twice before in 5th rubbers, most notably in the Poland tie - but Lloyd was crazy putting him forward there because he was such a rookie - and it made an injured Andy's efforts totally in vain and at some cost to him.  Ward on the other hand never looked from the outset that he thought he could win.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #219 on: February 11, 2012, 09:36 PM »

Okay quick update live fae Braehead.......Dan Evans was magnificent and played well above his ranking.  James Ward I am afraid I just can't warm to him, he has a really bad attitude and seems to like to do a Djokovic roar such I find irritating from the No. 1 player in the world, let along someone outside the top 100.  Colin & Ross played well apart from a third set blip!!!!  Atmosphere is definitely flat in comparison to last time missing the Murray factor......  Still enjoyable tennis tho' and Leon Smith is a really encouraging and enthusiastic captain.   Would love to see Dan Evans seal the deal tommorow as he deserves it after the debacle that John Lloyd put hi through and then vilified him for.  Think Lukas Lacko will come back with a bang tomorrow, very below par on Friday. 
In summary the team are doing great but there is no getting away from the fact that if they get promotion, they need Andy badly to help them onwards and upwards. 
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #220 on: February 11, 2012, 09:55 PM »

Good on ye MM loon.  thumb up
IP Logged
dave_ladder
Junior

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #221 on: February 12, 2012, 01:32 AM »

Going to be an interesting end to the tie tomorrow. Hopefully Evans can pull out a win as I don't have much faith in Ward beating Lacko. I think it's right to say Slovakia are still favourites despite the scoreline.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #222 on: February 12, 2012, 01:43 AM »

Okay quick update live fae Braehead.......Dan Evans was magnificent and played well above his ranking.  James Ward I am afraid I just can't warm to him, he has a really bad attitude and seems to like to do a Djokovic roar such I find irritating from the No. 1 player in the world, let along someone outside the top 100.  Colin & Ross played well apart from a third set blip!!!!  Atmosphere is definitely flat in comparison to last time missing the Murray factor......  Still enjoyable tennis tho' and Leon Smith is a really encouraging and enthusiastic captain.   Would love to see Dan Evans seal the deal tommorow as he deserves it after the debacle that John Lloyd put him through and then vilified him for.  Think Lukas Lacko will come back with a bang tomorrow, very below par on Friday. 
In summary the team are doing great but there is no getting away from the fact that if they get promotion, they need Andy badly to help them onwards and upwards. 
Thanks for that, MM. Smile  I'm fully expecting an on-form Lacko to demolish Ward tomorrow, but like you would love to see Evans win his match.  John Lloyd has a lot to answer for.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #223 on: February 12, 2012, 07:02 PM »

Well done Team GB, 3-2!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #224 on: February 12, 2012, 07:29 PM »

It'll be interesting to see if Andy pulls out of the Belgium tie.  Whatever, this win has certainly taken a lot of the pressure off him.  And Evans wasn't originally selected to play but was brought in to replace an injured Jamie Baker!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »