Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 17 Go Down Reply
Author

Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012?

(Read 9660 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 01:10 PM »

Let's be honest - he played this year only so he could compete in the Olympics.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 01:19 PM »

Looks like a home tie for GB against the Slovak Republic - 10th-12th February.  This is be winable if Andy plays - wouldn't it be great if he played as the newly crowned Aussie Open champion?!
IP Logged
toady
Junior

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 01:25 PM »

We've got another home tie!! (5th in a row and 7th of the last 8) lol  This time we play Slovakia. On the 10th - 12th Feburary.

I was listening to the draw via DC radio, and heard the snarky comment afterwards from one of the commentators about a home tie and 'a shopping centre near Glasgow'. The digs about Braehead are *really* annoying me now, it's a perfectly decent arena which hosts lots of events, which has been sold out for the last 6 days of DC, and is completely accessible without going into the shopping centre. It is, of course, very unlikely to host the Feb tie, but the asides are just snobbery. Grrrrr.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 01:30 PM »

You're certain? Seems to me he likes Leon and would put himself out for him, unlike Lloyd.

toady, deep breathing, calm thoughts....Wink Uk totally London centric isn't it?
IP Logged
toady
Junior

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 01:49 PM »

toady, deep breathing, calm thoughts....Wink Uk totally London centric isn't it?

The irony is I grew up 15 mins away from the All England Club, and only moved to Scotland aged 26. Having been starved of access to live tennis locally for so long, I feel very protective of Braehead, that's all :-) 'A hall next to a shopping centre' (as described by the Mail last week) makes it sound like an aging Scout Hut with a leaky roof and dodgy plumbing...

I agree too, that Leon Smith is the key to AM playing DC...plus the fact the team seems to have a genuinely good relationship, there seemed to be lots of chatting, banter and communication going on over the weekend. Was interesting to observe.

IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 03:18 PM »

Oh ye of little faith - Andy had qualified for the Olympics before this tie.  Did he need to pay a dead rubber to qualify - no!  My feeling is that he really gets on with the other guys in the team - his best friend is Ross and he has known Colin since he was knee high to a grasshopper - Leon was his first coach after his mum.  He likes being with these guys - he likes playing for his country - give him a break!

Perhaps you were just throwing a pebble in the pond to watch the ripples - or were you talking about Fed .....?????
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 03:58 PM »

Oh ye of little faith - Andy had qualified for the Olympics before this tie.  Did he need to pay a dead rubber to qualify - no!  My feeling is that he really gets on with the other guys in the team - his best friend is Ross and he has known Colin since he was knee high to a grasshopper - Leon was his first coach after his mum.  He likes being with these guys - he likes playing for his country - give him a break!
Perhaps you were just throwing a pebble in the pond to watch the ripples - or were you talking about Fed .....?????

Well said, why has Andy got to continually put up with doubters and those who always seem to think he has an ulterior motive. Andy has always wanted to play for his country, but he also his own career to pursue and playing in out of the way countries, which would have meant a lot of travelling on top of what he already does did not make sense. He played last week when he was exhausted, played the dead rubber so as not disappoint those who had payed to see him play. There are enough bl...y ditractors in the press,media and greeneyed ex players without having them here.

[ Last edit by michelle September 21, 2011, 04:01 PM ] IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 03:59 PM »

Another home tie is great news - wherever it is held.  The Braehead Arena is a great venue  and having been there all weekend in my opinion they put on a fantastic weekend of entertainment - very professional.  The fact it is on top of a shopping mall only had added bonus points for me  !!!!  But is a great arena which hosts lots of concerts and sporting events.  Although I would liove to see the February tie back at Braehead don't think they will take the risk of being accused of choosing the venue to suit Andy.  I personally don't think it is anything to do with that - I think after having been there it is just a great venue and very suitable for the event.  Totally selling out the tickets ensures a brilliant atmosphere.  Andy has already said that he will play if it fits in with his schedule - of course he has an allegiance to Leon Smith that he did not have for John Lloyd and who could blame him - John Lloyd blamed his failings on Andy - but why would you go the extra mile and make the extra effort to play for a Captain that openly criticises you in the media?  I hope, hwerever the tie is held - it is somewhere that will be able to emulate the sucess of Braehead and create the electric atmoshpere that was evident at the weekend.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #38 on: September 21, 2011, 04:57 PM »

toady, Please take my advice, I'm not using it myself at the mo......stop reading The Mail. Life will become calm again Wink
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 01:47 AM »

We've got another home tie!! (5th in a row and 7th of the last 8 or 12th of the last 15) lol  This time we play Slovakia. On the 10th - 12th Feburary.
Great!  Thanks Allan.  I don't think Braehead will be the next venue.  If it was I'm sure  questions would be asked in Parliament. Very Happy  But wherever it is I'm sure that our team will still get great support.

He only needed to play one DC tie to qualify for the Olympics, so it's pretty obvious that he was keen to help GB get promotion.

Anyway why all the fuss about a strike in tennis?  Other sports haven't been immune to strike action - and as far as I'm concerned the pulling out of seven(?) players just prior to the Shanghai Masters two years ago citing a variety of reasons was effectively a protest walk-out.

IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 06:51 AM »

Anyway why all the fuss about a strike in tennis?  Other sports haven't been immune to strike action - and as far as I'm concerned the pulling out of seven(?) players just prior to the Shanghai Masters two years ago citing a variety of reasons was effectively a protest walk-out.

Half the the people commentating on Murray are right wing Brits.
The other half are tournament directors.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #41 on: September 22, 2011, 10:10 AM »

This has all happened before. We will never achieve anything in the World Group with one good player. Andy got us to the World Group in 2008 by playing three matches in every single tie, when we got there we got thrashed by Austria and Argentina because they have solid teams, after which Andy stopped playing "because of demanding fixtures" and we got demoted to E&A Group II again. He should scrap it for good, its a vicious cycle. Andy is a world class player but Team GB is not.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 10:18 AM »

Half the the people commentating on Murray are right wing Brits.
The other half are tournament directors.
Interesting that Martina Navratalova has come out in support of Andy and the other top players complaining about the number of matches, and she said that the players have to travel more than, when she played they played mainly in America, Europe and Australia, she also made the point that the game is much harder now and puts more strain on the body, so I hope that Stitch and LLoydd will go back in their boxes as they have not given a true picture of the game now and when they played.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 10:29 AM »

I see Bouncy has added his twopennorth!

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/876082-andrew-castle-threatening-to-strike-is-not-playing-the-game

The point he seems to miss is that Andy was asked about this in interview - he didn't offer the information in a press release.
IP Logged
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 11:29 PM »

...YES
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »