Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 17 Go Down Reply
Author

Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012?

(Read 9076 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #45 on: September 23, 2011, 12:14 AM »

This has all happened before. We will never achieve anything in the World Group with one good player. Andy got us to the World Group in 2008 by playing three matches in every single tie, when we got there we got thrashed by Austria and Argentina because they have solid teams, after which Andy stopped playing "because of demanding fixtures" and we got demoted to E&A Group II again. He should scrap it for good, its a vicious cycle. Andy is a world class player but Team GB is not.
I seem to recall that Andy missed the Argentina tie because of much-disputed knee injury.  Anyway, I don't want to see him wrecking himself next year to possibly no good effect - and here the Poland tie springs to mind - but the one consolation is that I consider Smith to be a far better captain than JL was, and hopefully that might have a beneficial effect on the other players.  I realise you can't make silk purses out of sows' ears, but we do have Ollie Golding coming through who strikes me as being a solid if slightly feisty player who shouldn't be fazed by performing in front of the public, something which caused Ward to tighten up at Braehead because he knew was the favourite to win.   Also Fleming/Hutchins seem to be on the way to making a name for themselves as a good doubles pairing.  So maybe the future of the British DC team isn't all doom and gloom.

Interesting that Martina Navratalova has come out in support of Andy and the other top players complaining about the number of matches, and she said that the players have to travel more than, when she played they played mainly in America, Europe and Australia, she also made the point that the game is much harder now and puts more strain on the body, so I hope that Stitch and LLoydd will go back in their boxes as they have not given a true picture of the game now and when they played.
I liked what she said - that such a level of intensity without couldn't be maintained "and not put your body in hospital eventually.  I don't know why Andy Murray should be criticised for taking charge of his life.  Just a pity Martina isn't British!

I see Bouncy has added his twopennorth!

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/876082-andrew-castle-threatening-to-strike-is-not-playing-the-game

The point he seems to miss is that Andy was asked about this in interview - he didn't offer the information in a press release.
Never heard Castle being called that before. lol  Another has-been who should realise that things have moved on in the last two decades

IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #46 on: September 23, 2011, 07:04 AM »

"Bouncy" doesn't quite suit IMHO, it sounds sweet. He's far too oily.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #47 on: September 23, 2011, 10:01 AM »

................  but bouncy castles are full of wind!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #48 on: September 23, 2011, 10:05 AM »

I realise you can't make silk purses out of sows' ears, but we do have Ollie Golding coming through who strikes me as being a solid if slightly feisty player who shouldn't be fazed by performing in front of the public, something which caused Ward to tighten up at Braehead because he knew was the favourite to win.   

Well, with his background in musical theatre, Ollie should be used to be big stage and then there's George Morgan and Liam Brodie too, which does augur well for the future.  It might just take some of the media attention off Andy if they have some 'future stars' to focus on.
IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #49 on: September 23, 2011, 06:22 PM »

We don't need a Davis Cup now as in the past. Too many events too many sponsors wanting their pound of flesh. When will the tennis season end so that players can recharge and develop their game further? Never it seems. I am now waiting for there to be an arctic open where top players have to play in zero temperatures with skis on!! I pity young Ollie lets hope he continues the promise he shows and does not get killed off with the pressure-there is a long way to go before he can claim the heights that Murray has reached.  whip
IP Logged
toady
Junior

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #50 on: September 23, 2011, 10:24 PM »

thumb up

I really enjoy watching Davis Cup ties, and would like to see it given more prominence- maybe held in alternate years but run more like a World Cup, with the matches being held over a set couple of weeks and in one place. Haven't thought through the details, but that sort of idea. If the UK had a chance to host, (different continents taking turns?) I'd like to see the ties spread out around the country.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #51 on: September 29, 2011, 05:48 PM »

Well, with his background in musical theatre, Ollie should be used to be big stage and then there's George Morgan and Liam Brodie too, which does augur well for the future.  It might just take some of the media attention off Andy if they have some 'future stars' to focus on.
Just catching up with some threads having been away for a few days.  I hope that the media don't sit too tightly on Ollie now, although with his theatrical background he should be able to handle media attention.  He certainly seems to have the confidence to do so.

I really enjoy watching Davis Cup ties, and would like to see it given more prominence- maybe held in alternate years but run more like a World Cup, with the matches being held over a set couple of weeks and in one place. Haven't thought through the details, but that sort of idea. If the UK had a chance to host, (different continents taking turns?) I'd like to see the ties spread out around the country.
It has been suggested that the DC be played every two years but I can't see any change in the current format because anything else would disrupt the schedule too much, and they struggle as it is every four years with the Olympics.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #52 on: September 29, 2011, 06:00 PM »

Anyone else got a problem with the DC format? Two dead rubbers that you've paid a premium price for, hoping to see two quality singles matches? What's that all about?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #53 on: September 29, 2011, 06:19 PM »

How often are there two dead rubbers?  Very rarely I think.  Although as I understand it from the recently revised DC rules, if one team is leading 3-1 after the 4th rubber, then it's up to the teams to decide whether or not to play that one dead rubber.  Strange thinking!  I have no problem with dead rubbers, but feel they too should be the best of five and should be played regardless of the score, although what sort of incentive the players would have, goodness knows, other than a possible damage limitation exercise.
IP Logged
Bailey
Satellite Level

Come on Andy!!!!

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #54 on: October 02, 2011, 01:10 AM »

How often are there two dead rubbers?  Very rarely I think.  Although as I understand it from the recently revised DC rules, if one team is leading 3-1 after the 4th rubber, then it's up to the teams to decide whether or not to play that one dead rubber.  Strange thinking!  I have no problem with dead rubbers, but feel they too should be the best of five and should be played regardless of the score, although what sort of incentive the players would have, goodness knows, other than a possible damage limitation exercise.
that would just tire the players even more, because there is no objective
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #55 on: October 02, 2011, 02:23 AM »

that would just tire the players even more, because there is no objective
There might be if  teams weren't required to put the players who had already played on in the dead rubber(s).  That would give the lower ranked players a chance to do something for their respective countries.  For instance, in the last GB tie Jamie Baker was on standby in case of injuries, so he could easily have played in one of the dead rubbers.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #56 on: October 28, 2011, 12:37 PM »

Looks like a home tie for GB against the Slovak Republic - 10th-12th February.  This is be winable if Andy plays - wouldn't it be great if he played as the newly crowned Aussie Open champion?!
And Braehead Arena it is, again, then. lol  yay
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #57 on: October 28, 2011, 01:14 PM »

I've heard....If you want to play in the Olympics you must have played for your country in Davis Cup in the preceding 12 months of the games.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #58 on: October 28, 2011, 07:06 PM »

Tha
And Braehead Arena it is, again, then. lol  yay

Thanks for the heads up!  I;ve just been online and booked tickets for my son and I.  The event last July was phenomenal.  I saw Andy destroy some poor Luxembourger with a triple bagel.  It might have better to have watched more competitive match, but hey!  I saw Andy play, and how many chances am I going to have to do that, up herre in our native land!  And - I saw the great man do the famous bagel - and there's only a few thousand of us who can say that!

So guys - get some tickets and get up here!  Braehead is a great venue.  The crowd are phenomenal.  Make a weekend of it.  Glasgow's a fabulous city!
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #59 on: October 28, 2011, 07:09 PM »

How often are there two dead rubbers?  Very rarely I think.  Although as I understand it from the recently revised DC rules, if one team is leading 3-1 after the 4th rubber, then it's up to the teams to decide whether or not to play that one dead rubber.  Strange thinking!  I have no problem with dead rubbers, but feel they too should be the best of five and should be played regardless of the score, although what sort of incentive the players would have, goodness knows, other than a possible damage limitation exercise.

That's a good point.  One improvement would be to introduce a meaningful amount of ranking points per rubber.  Then players would be motivated to play in dead rubbers.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »