Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 17 Go Down Reply
Author

Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012?

(Read 9153 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #60 on: October 28, 2011, 08:02 PM »

I've heard....If you want to play in the Olympics you must have played for your country in Davis Cup in the preceding 12 months of the games.
Almost correct - you only need to play in one Davis Cup in the 12 months prior to the qualifying date for the Olympics, which is March next year.

And Braehead Arena it is, again, then. lol  yay
Great for Braehead - but I can see trouble looming here.  I really think that, in fairness, another venue should have been chosen for this tie.

IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #61 on: October 28, 2011, 08:12 PM »

I really think that, in fairness, another venue should have been chosen for this tie. 
Yeah, I thought somewhere else would have been chosen.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #62 on: October 28, 2011, 08:22 PM »

It really does not sound good.  Leon Smith is Scottish, as you know, and he stands to be accused of favouritism here.  Also it make sense to keep changing the venues.  Not everyone is able to travel long distances to watch these ties.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #63 on: October 28, 2011, 08:39 PM »

It would be fairer to spread it around...

But, hey, most of the team are Scottish.  And the support from the crowd in 2011 was phenomenal.  Get yourself up here!  You'll have a great weekend!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #64 on: October 28, 2011, 08:47 PM »

But, hey, most of the team are Scottish.  And the support from the crowd in 2011 was phenomenal.  Get yourself up here!  You'll have a great weekend!
That was the point I was making.  Not everyone has the time or the money - and with regard to the latter, I'm not only thinking of travel costs, but hotel accommodation as well, which could be quite a consideration in the current financial climate.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #65 on: October 28, 2011, 09:18 PM »

Quote from: Aileen link=topic=19170.msg676252#msg676252 date=1319831268.....
That was the point I was making.  Not everyone has the time or the money - and with regard to the latter, I'm not only thinking of travel costs, but hotel accommodation as well, which could be quite a consideration in the current financial climate.

Point taken - I intended no offence.  I suspect that Smith wanted to eke out every advantage he possibly could, and the response and support of the Glasgow crowd might just be an edge........
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #66 on: October 28, 2011, 10:02 PM »

Tha
Thanks for the heads up!  I;ve just been online and booked tickets for my son and I.  The event last July was phenomenal.  I saw Andy destroy some poor Luxembourger with a triple bagel.  It might have better to have watched more competitive match, but hey!  I saw Andy play, and how many chances am I going to have to do that, up herre in our native land!  And - I saw the great man do the famous bagel - and there's only a few thousand of us who can say that!

So guys - get some tickets and get up here!  Braehead is a great venue.  The crowd are phenomenal.  Make a weekend of it.  Glasgow's a fabulous city!

Will be there its booked!
IP Logged
toady
Junior

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #67 on: October 28, 2011, 10:19 PM »

Got our tickets today, 3 days again. Not as good seats as last time, no idea where they all went in the 2 hours between announcement and getting to box office! Was UTTERLY GOBSMACKED (no apologies for caps) to see it at Braehead again. Thrilled to pieces,  if the atmosphere is as great as the last 2 ties have been, it will be another astounding weekend and after so many years it's wonderful to be only 10 minutes away from some great tennis. However I just could not believe it when I saw the announcement. Thrilled to be able to take my kids and my grandson to see some first class tennis live again though.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #68 on: October 28, 2011, 10:45 PM »

But, hey, most of the team are Scottish. 

That raises an interesting point. If England played Scotland (and even if you took Andy out of the equation), I reckon Scotland would win.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #69 on: October 28, 2011, 11:02 PM »

I'm delighted that Braehead is the venue again.  I really hope Andy turns up with the AO trophy.  To be honest I really wasn't expecting Scotland to get it again.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #70 on: October 29, 2011, 12:44 AM »

That raises an interesting point. If England played Scotland (and even if you took Andy out of the equation), I reckon Scotland would win.
I don't quite see how you reach that conclusion, because England has a bigger pool of players to chose from - but Alex Salmond would love you for that one!

Point taken - I intended no offence.  I suspect that Smith wanted to eke out every advantage he possibly could, and the response and support of the Glasgow crowd might just be an edge........
Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% Scottish (and part Glasgwegian!), but, whilst I agree with you about Smith, surely anywhere Andy played is going to attract a lot of support?  Contrary to the views of some on here, he does have quite a following in England too.  Mind you, I've just been thinking - I know Braehead has only been in existence since 1999, but I don't recall it being used for a DC tie before Andy burst onto the scene, so perhaps we're reaping our just reward now.  
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #71 on: October 29, 2011, 10:32 AM »

Although I agree that the venue should be moved around, I say let's make the most of it while it lasts - we don't have many opportunities to watch good quality live tennis here in Scotland.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #72 on: October 29, 2011, 10:37 AM »

I don't quite see how you reach that conclusion, because England has a bigger pool of players to chose from - but Alex Salmond would love you for that one!
Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% Scottish (and part Glasgwegian!), but, whilst I agree with you about Smith, surely anywhere Andy played is going to attract a lot of support?  Contrary to the views of some on here, he does have quite a following in England too.  Mind you, I've just been thinking - I know Braehead has only been in existence since 1999, but I don't recall it being used for a DC tie before Andy burst onto the scene, so perhaps we're reaping our just reward now. 

I'm sure Andy has support in England and other parts of the UK too.  But the support from his native Scots will always be more fervent.  Hell, we have two world-class sprtsmen (the other's a cyclist) and Andy's one of them!
IP Logged
toady
Junior

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #73 on: October 29, 2011, 11:01 AM »

Mind you, I've just been thinking - I know Braehead has only been in existence since 1999, but I don't recall it being used for a DC tie before Andy burst onto the scene, so perhaps we're reaping our just reward now. 

Was the Ukraine tie the first? Maybe it's Braehead's pay back. They took on the tie when the team plummeted down the pile, and I do wonder if other venues would have sold out in the way Braehead has the previous two ties (and seems on course to do so again, I think). Am fully expecting that, when (note the confidence!) we get back up the tree a bit in DC, the more prestigious ties will be played down south, so we might as well make the most of it now.  That will be the slap in the face which will be hard to take- we'll be good enough to host Ukraine, Luxembourg, Hungary, Slovakia but when we get to the World Group, no chance...and I write that as an Englishwoman.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #74 on: October 29, 2011, 11:41 AM »

For those that don't want to travel too far north... you can go to the O2 for the WTF. I can't aford to travel down there and the hotels in London!! forget it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »