Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 17 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012?  (Read 8335 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « on: September 19, 2011, 06:02 AM »

Murray a worry for Great Britain as busy schedule threatens Davis Cup hopes [Mail, 18 Sept]

A summer in which a few green shoots of recovery for British tennis ended with the Davis Cup team looking ahead to next year’s shot at gaining promotion back to the elite World Group.

But, as captain Leon Smith admitted after victory was wrapped up against Hungary, everything continues to rest on the participation of Andy Murray, who signed off by repeating his assertion that the ATP calendar is ‘ridiculous’.

‘The schedule’s messed up and we need to change it,’ said Murray, who beat Hungary’s Gyorgy Balazs 7-6, 6-4 in what was effectively an exhibition match.

Smith’s most important job continues to be that of persuading Murray to turn up, but that may not be so easy in 2012, which is already complicated by the Olympics.

If Britain are to return to the elite 16-team World Group they are likely to have to win rounds in February, April and September, and that could seriously test the commitment of Murray, who needs to play a minimum 18 ATP events already.

This was GB’s fourth consecutive victory since Smith took over, but all have been home ties and the odds are that there will be some tricky away trips if re-entry into the Davis Cup’s Premier League is to be achieved.

Having successfully helped GB to get out of the Davis Cup wilderness, but given the problems stated in the above article, should Andy realistically be expected to commit himself to playing in all or any of next year's ties?
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:15 AM »

You can be sure that Andy will be pilloried by the media if he doesn't participate whatever his schedule may be.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:46 AM »

No, he shouldn't play. It's pointless.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 09:31 AM »

No, he shouldn't play. It's pointless.
Doesn't he have to play to qualify for the Olympics?
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 10:41 AM »

Well I'm sure Andy will play if he cant fit in to his busy schedule, but he is only human and there is only so much he can do. What ever he decides I hope he thinks of himself first.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 02:20 PM »

Am sure he'll play if he can, but won't blame him if he decides not to. Having said that it's clear he gets a tremendous amount from being part of the team. Tennis is such a lonely sport.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 03:28 PM »

I'm sure Andy will play if he possibly can - the team obviously means a lot to him.  Seemingly, he didn't know that the DC schedule had been changed for next year to fit round the Olympics - strange that the powers that be didn't consult the players before deciding on the changes.  The players are going to have a meeting when they are altogether in Shanghai to try to sort it out.
IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 03:40 PM »

If he played DC this year in February he'd have lost his singles matches.

That's why he wants to dodge.

He can start winning 5 titles a year again if he wants to moan about the calendar instead of tanking every second tournament like he's been doing for 2 years, otherwise playing a couple of DC ties a year is hardly back breaking.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 04:32 PM »

Doesn't he have to play to qualify for the Olympics?
No Caz.  He's already met the criteria for that, which is that players wishing to represent their country must play in at least one DC tie in the year prior to the qualifying date, which is March next year.

I'm sure Andy will play if he possibly can - the team obviously means a lot to him.  Seemingly, he didn't know that the DC schedule had been changed for next year to fit round the Olympics - strange that the powers that be didn't consult the players before deciding on the changes.  The players are going to have a meeting when they are altogether in Shanghai to try to sort it out.
I'm sure he will too.  He's often said how much he enjoys being part of the team and playing for his country (and he does mean Great Britain).  I'm not surprised the players are up in arms about the scheduling.  It's very unfortunate that, although they're represented on the ATP board, they have absolutely no say in what the ITF does.  Of course the ITF are blaming the ATP for next year's schedule and say that the players' complaints should be addressed to them.  Talk about passing the buck!

If he played DC this year in February he'd have lost his singles matches.

That's why he wants to dodge.
Andy hasn't said he doesn't want to play in the DC next year, so please don't accuse him of trying to chicken out before he's opened his mouth.  Also what happened in February this year doesn't mean it'll happen again next year. 

IP Logged
LC the fan
Junior

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 04:33 PM »

I think Novak pulling out of the Davis Cup match says a lot.  It meant a lot to him to win it for Serbia last year and there is no way he would have defaulted by choice.
Obviously Rafa is also would up about this and someone does have to at least confer with the players.
The schedule is obviously far too demanding and it showed in Andy's below par performance yesterday afternoon.
Well done to him for playing and not disappointing the fans but - who can blame him for his doubts
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 04:38 PM »

No Caz.  He's already met the criteria for that, which is that players wishing to represent their country must play in at least one DC tie in the year prior to the qualifying date, which is March next year.
I'm sure he will too.  He's often said how much he enjoys being part of the team and playing for his country (and he does mean Great Britain).  I'm not surprised the players are up in arms about the scheduling.  It's very unfortunate that, although they're represented on the ATP board, they have absolutely no say in what the ITF does.  Of course the ITF are blaming the ATP for next year's schedule and say that the players' complaints should be addressed to them.  Talk about passing the buck!
Andy hasn't said he doesn't want to play in the DC next year, so please don't accuse him of trying to chicken out before he's opened his mouth.  Also what happened in February this year doesn't mean it'll happen again next year. 

Ah.....Thanks Aileen!
IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 04:39 PM »

Think the players want to support Davis Cup but as they are all getting tennis elbow it's up to the organisers and ATP ITF to get their act together.
somehow I missed the Davis must have been watching the rugby!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 05:22 PM »

Think the players want to support Davis Cup but as they are all getting tennis elbow it's up to the organisers and ATP ITF to get their act together.
The Slams and Davis Cup both come under the umbrella of the ITF, but one of the stumbling blocks here is that the ITF and ATP have little love for each other, which is why the ITF are trying to shove all the responsibility for the scheduling onto them, although the players are also saying that the ATP should make it's own scheduling less harsh in future years, mainly be making fewer Masters mandatory.  However, at least  from next year the ATP Tour will end two weeks earlier, thereby giving players more time to rest and recuperate.

We've already seen the effect the current scheduling has had on Andy and Djokovic, and Nadal was reported as saying he felt very tired.  The bottom line is that all players want to play for their country, but how can they be expected to give of their best when struggling with fatigue and possibly injuries which may be exacerbated, as happened to Andy in 2009 and seems to have happened to Djokovic in Belgrade? 
IP Logged
mcenroeforever
Satellite Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 06:36 PM »

I think it's great for both Andy and the team when he does play Davis Cup so i think he should, fitness allowing. Next year would provide matches that would appeal to his competitive spirit a bit more too against better quality players.
Re The Olympics..does anyone know how many players are allowed from each country in the singles? Not sure how the Olympic format works!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 06:53 PM »

Let's face it, if Andy doesn't play now that we have been promoted to E&A Zone 1, we have little chance of winning and could well be demoted again at the end of next year.  It does put an awful lot of pressure on him.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »