Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 Go Down Reply
Author

Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012?

(Read 9702 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #225 on: February 12, 2012, 07:34 PM »

Brilliant win for Team GB.  Do I think they can do it against Belgium with Malisse and Rochus, who both play doubles as well as singles? Without Andy - I honestly don't think they can.  I just hope that April in Scotland fits in with Andy's plans - I'm sure he'll play if he can.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #226 on: February 12, 2012, 07:41 PM »

Brilliant win for Team GB.  Do I think they can do it against Belgium with Malisse and Rochus, who both play doubles as well as singles? Without Andy - I honestly don't think they can.  I just hope that April in Scotland fits in with Andy's plans - I'm sure he'll play if he can.

6th - 8th april = over the easter weekend.
I think it falls a week after the final of Miami and a week before the clay of Monte Carlo [16th April]
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #227 on: February 12, 2012, 07:55 PM »

Yes they'll need Andy for this, if he feels he can play, but at least some of the pressure will have been taken off him.
IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #228 on: February 12, 2012, 08:56 PM »

He really should.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #229 on: February 12, 2012, 10:03 PM »

Btw, Malisee retirement from Davis Cup a few months ago.

They do though have David Goffin (who beat Malisse and took a set off of Tipsy in Chennai last month), Olivier Rochus, Steve Darcis and Ruben Bemelmans in the top 200
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #230 on: February 12, 2012, 10:28 PM »

Great. All these guys are beatable by Evans on hard court
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #231 on: February 12, 2012, 10:29 PM »

They do though have David Goffin (who beat Malisse and took a set off of Tipsy in Chennai last month), Olivier Rochus, Steve Darcis and Ruben Bemelmans in the top 200

Malisse not being there is good news - he's a streaky player and can be very dangerous.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #232 on: February 12, 2012, 11:21 PM »

Just got home from Braehead, great weekend, must admit I was not really looking forward to it given that Andy was not playing, but Dan Evans today was brilliant, his play was great and he never once, not even when he lost sets 3 and 4 let his head go down, he kept going for his shots and taking the game on.  Brilliant performance and one that belied his ranking.  There is a great team atmosphere and the captain is just that a CAPTAIN (take not Mr Lloyd!!!). 
James Ward was very disappointing, his only strength appears to be his serve, which when it works is good but his other shots and selection are poor. 
The support was great and the atmosphere got better as the weekend progressed, very pleased but surprised when it was announced at the end of the Dan Evans match that the next tie was being played at Braehead, mind you three ties, three wins why fix it if it ain't broke!!! 
Would love Andy to play in April but can't see it fitting in with his schedule.
So in summary, good weekend, Dan Evans a revaluation, good for him because the way he was treated by JL was poor and out of order, James Ward was disappointing, the doubles pairing are getting better with each tie, the Team Captain is leading the team brilliantly and creating a real fighting spirit.  Andy will be required if progress continues to be made.   And finally the wine in the hotel bar was rubbish and expensive!!!!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #233 on: February 13, 2012, 11:32 AM »

With the win at the weekend, GB's place in Group 1 is presumably safe, which is fantastic. Further wins would be nice, although I'm not sure that they're ready for World Group yet. That really would put pressure on Andy to play every time.
IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #234 on: February 13, 2012, 06:21 PM »

With the win at the weekend, GB's place in Group 1 is presumably safe, which is fantastic. Further wins would be nice, although I'm not sure that they're ready for World Group yet. That really would put pressure on Andy to play every time.

There as ready as there ever going to be in Murray's prime.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #235 on: February 14, 2012, 02:41 PM »

Didn't know that, so thanks.  One less to worry about ... Smile
Great. All these guys are beatable by Evans on hard court.
Especially with Leon to guide him and keep him calm, like he did at Braehead.  Also Dan's confidence and self-belief must now surely be greatly boosted, and the relative nearness of this tie would seem an ideal time to select him again while it's all still fresh in his mind.  But, whether or not Andy plays, we have to trust and respect Leon's judgement and I, for one, have great faith in him.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #236 on: February 15, 2012, 11:33 AM »

If Murray plays, drop Ward in Aprils draw. Dan will draw even more confidence playing alongside Andy in the team.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #237 on: February 16, 2012, 01:38 AM »

If Murray plays, drop Ward in Aprils draw. Dan will draw even more confidence playing alongside Andy in the team.
My thoughts exactly.  Also I thought Ward's performances at the weekend were pretty poor, given that he's our No.2.  For one thing, he never looked as though he believed he could win.   If Andy opts not to play, then I'd like to see Dan play alongside Jamie Baker, provided he's fit by then.  Jamie's another fighter.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #238 on: February 16, 2012, 10:20 AM »

It would seem that James plays better when Andy is in the team - perhaps he finds it difficult to cope with being the 'no 1' player.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #239 on: February 16, 2012, 08:33 PM »

It would seem that James plays better when Andy is in the team - perhaps he finds it difficult to cope with being the 'no 1' player.
That wouldn't surprise me.  He doesn't exactly ooze confidence and not everyone is suited for leadership.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »