Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] Go Down Reply
Author

Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012?

(Read 9291 times)
Philip
Seed

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #240 on: February 16, 2012, 08:38 PM »

It is nice being the number 2 where the expectation and needs are much less. Andy more or less guarantees 2 points and Colin/Ross the 3rd point so that relieves all pressures off the 2nd Singles player. This is what made Evans achievement all the more remarkable last week-end.  Hopefully Dan will fly from here and get into the top 200 so that selection becomes easier for Leon.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #241 on: February 16, 2012, 10:10 PM »

I feel a bit sorry for James - it's not as though he lost to lower ranked players, and he did have a 7-2 winning record in Davis Cup before this tie.

I think following on from Dan's extraordinarily emphatic win against Lacko on Friday must have been tough - easy to say he should have fed off the postive mood at Braehead.

If Dan hadn't done so well, maybe people wouldn't be so harsh about James. Maybe he should have done better. It will be interesting to see how they both do in the coming months.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #242 on: February 16, 2012, 11:16 PM »

Ward played very well in the 1st set against Lacko. Unfortunately that was over just 1 set and in a best of 5 sets, that is insufficient.  His play style is relatively high risk as he has little top spin so the ball doesn't clear the net with much margin.

Evans on the other hand has every shot in the book.  He served well and volley accurately, hit the ball cleanly and powerfully, can slice and lob, and had a good temperament.
On last week-end performance, I would pick Evans over Ward every time.  However, we also saw what happened when his level dipped a little in the 3rd / 4th set.  Dan needs to build up his endurance so he can last the distance and not having to go for his shots so much.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #243 on: February 16, 2012, 11:36 PM »

I expect you're right Philip. I wasn't able to watch any of Sunday's matches, and found the 2nd of Friday's hard to watch after the excitement of Evans/Lacko - also it semed to be full of line challenges but without hawkeye to help.

Dan did seem an exciting player, on good form coming into the DC, so let's see what happens over the nrxt few weeks.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #244 on: February 17, 2012, 02:05 AM »

Ward Vows To Fight For Place [Sky Sports, 13 Feb]
Murray's return could see axe fall on Londoner

British number two James Ward has warned man-of-the-moment Dan Evans he will not give up his Davis Cup spot without a fight.

Ward was the key player in Britain's climb back into Europe/Africa Zone I but was overshadowed by compatriot Evans during Great Britain's dramatic victory over Slovakia at the weekend.

The Londoner, ranked 156 in the world, won only one set in clashes against Lukas Lacko and Martin Klizan, while Evans beat both Slovaks in Glasgow.

The pair will return to Braehead Arena in April to take on Belgium and should Andy Murray, absent this time, choose to play, captain Leon Smith will have to choose between Ward and Evans for the second singles spot.

Ward told Press Association Sport: "I've been here for two and a half years and my Davis Cup record's a pretty decent one, even with these two losses.

Dilemma

"I've won a lot of big matches so it would be difficult for me to chuck myself out of the team at the moment, but it's up to Leon."

Ward headed off to the United States on Monday for a series of tournaments as he bids to lift his ranking above its current 156, something he feels Davis Cup has not always helped.

The Londoner added: "It's a good run of tournaments and I know I'm playing a good level so I'm looking forward to it. It doesn't help taking weeks off and not gaining points but you've always got to play for your country when asked and that's what I've done.

"Sometimes it's not beneficial to the ranking but I'll concentrate on trying to boost my ranking for the next few months and get into the top 100, which has been my goal for a while."

Smith welcomed the potential selection dilemma, with Jamie Baker, who was injured for this tie, and Josh Goodall also hoping to come into contention.

"That's what we want," said the Scot. "It's not as healthy having a clear number one and a clear number two and then the rest, you want everyone challenging for a spot on the team.

"What Dan's done this weekend, other people will think, 'I'm not that far away from Dan, I want a bit of this', and they should be thinking, 'If he can do it, I can do it'."

http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/7518734/Ward-vows-to-fight-for-place
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #245 on: February 18, 2012, 04:08 AM »

Should ranking points be awarded in Davis Cup?  [10sballs.com, 17 Feb]

With concern growing about top players skipping Davis Cup play, and faced with the evidence of last weekend when three of the world’s elite quartet of male players opted against representing their nations in important Davis Cup matches, the tennis authorities know something needs to be done to regenerate interest in tennis’ longest standing team competition.

The International Tennis Association and the ATP World Tour have long debated the pros and cons of awarding ranking points for Davis Cup victories but anomalies are everywhere and not easily resolved.

While John Isner, playing in the World Group for the United States against Switzerland, was rewarded with 40 ATP ranking points for his upset of former world no.1 Roger Federer in Fribourg, Britain’s Dan Evans was playing a level lower in the Euro/African Zone Group One.

Although Evans, ranked a lowly 273 in the world and clearly in need of any help he can get to boost his ranking, received no points despite scoring two creditable victories against opponents from Slovakia far higher up the ATP World Tour pecking order.

World no.4 Andy Murray, the man Evans replaced in the British line-up, was quick to point out the injustice of the current system. “It’s not something I think about when I make a decision whether or not to play,” said Murray, “but that doesn’t alter my opinion. We had a young player, Dan Evans, who did really well and won both his singles but has a low ATP ranking. He really could have done with some points but the system doesn’t allow for that.  It should do.

Murray opted against playing to heal some minor injuries following the Australian Open and spend time training in Florida new coach Ivan Lendl at the Delray Tennis Center. But his focus remained on justice for his compatriot and he said: “It is, basically, unfair.”

“Not everyone has the luxury of playing Davis Cup in the World Group so of course it’s unfair. I didn’t like the decision when it was made but it has never really come up for discussion in our player meetings because there has been so much else going on.”

Clearly there is a need for the ITF and ATP World Tour to revisit the subject and well-known players are being punished because they play for low key nations. Marcos Baghdatis, once no.8 in the world and currently no.44 won all three of his matches for Cyprus in their 3-2 win over Morocco but unfortunately for him the match was part of the Euro/Africa Zone Group Two.  Therefore Baghdatis received no points and in fact his ranking dropped three places.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #246 on: February 18, 2012, 09:40 AM »

Good point.  Points should be awarded based on the Davis cup tie as well as the ranking of your opponent.

For example
World Group : 40 pts
Group I        : 30 pts
Group II       : 20 points
Group III      : 10 points

Opponent Ranking
a) top 50       : bonus 5 points
a) 51 to 100   : bonus 4 points
b) 101 to 200 : bonus 3 points
c) 201 to 300 : bonus 2 points
d) 301 to 400 : bonus 1 point

For example, during last week, GB winning the tie would gain 30 points for winning playing members. Evans wins over opponents ranked 65 and 120 would earn him a bonus 4 + 3 = 7 points for a total of 37 points.

Ward would earn 0 point because he did not win a single rubber in the tie.  Colin/Ross would earn 30 points + bonus 4/3 pts ==> 34/33 points

Lakos & Klizane would earn 3 points for winning against Ward (Slov lost the tie)
Their Doubles team would earn nil point for losing.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #247 on: February 18, 2012, 10:57 AM »

Good point.  Points should be awarded based on the Davis cup tie as well as the ranking of your opponent.

For example
Group I        : 30 pts
Group II       : 20 points
Group III      : 10 points

Opponent Ranking
a) top 50       : bonus 5 points
a) 51 to 100   : bonus 4 points

For example, during last week, GB winning the tie would gain 30 points for winning playing members. Evans wins over opponents ranked 65 and 120 would earn him a bonus 4 + 3 = 7 points for a total of 37 points.

Ward would earn 0 point because he did not win a single rubber in the tie.  Colin/Ross would earn 30 points + bonus 4/3 pts ==> 34/33 points

Lakos & Klizane would earn 3 points for winning against Ward (Slov lost the tie)

My guess is that your suggestion would be far too logical and straightforward for the ATP Philip!
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #248 on: February 18, 2012, 01:37 PM »

Dan Evan's would have won 37 points to give him 200, he would have moved up to 232 an improvement of 41 places.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #249 on: February 18, 2012, 04:36 PM »

Good point.  Points should be awarded based on the Davis cup tie as well as the ranking of your opponent.

For example
Group I        : 30 pts
Group II       : 20 points
Group III      : 10 points

Opponent Ranking
a) top 50       : bonus 5 points
a) 51 to 100   : bonus 4 points

Ward would earn 0 point because he did not win a single rubber in the tie.  Colin/Ross would earn 30 points + bonus 4/3 pts ==> 34/33 points

Still seems a pretty measly number of points though, given that they play best of five, but I do realise that even a few points can make a diffeence, especially for lower ranked players such as Dan.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #250 on: February 18, 2012, 04:39 PM »

Nice to see Andy speaking up on behalf of Dan.
Somewhere yesterday someone said they hoped Andrew Castle wouldn't turn up on Sky.  Well turned on to watch Rotterdam yesterday and there was his voice commentating with Peter Fleming (who is one of the few comms I like).  He gets everywhere that man.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #251 on: February 18, 2012, 05:26 PM »

Nice to see Andy speaking up on behalf of Dan.
Somewhere yesterday someone said they hoped Andrew Castle wouldn't turn up on Sky.  Well turned on to watch Rotterdam yesterday and there was his voice commentating with Peter Fleming (who is one of the few comms I like).  He gets everywhere that man.
Not on ESPN he doesn't - which is some compensation for having to watch livestreams!
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Should Andy play Davis Cup in 2012? « Reply #252 on: February 18, 2012, 07:03 PM »

Then he's on Eurosport today commentating on the women's event in Doha.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »