Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Sony Tennis Open: 20th-31st March 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] Go Down Reply
Author

Sony Tennis Open: 20th-31st March 2013

(Read 6194 times)
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Sony Tennis Open: 20th-31st March 2013 « Reply #180 on: March 25, 2013, 07:51 PM »

Don't forget Roddick also retired since last year.  He'd have been a big draw too.

However, this is the danger of putting too much attention on a handful of stars.   People will believe they are the only ones worth seeing, and so if a tournament misses a couple of them, it leaves a bit of a  gap.

That said, I think it's one of those inevitable things.   This year with attention being turned to different players will help to even things up a bit and make them better known and therefore more interesting to the general public for the future.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Sony Tennis Open: 20th-31st March 2013 « Reply #181 on: March 25, 2013, 08:39 PM »

Don't forget Roddick also retired since last year.  He'd have been a big draw too.

However, this is the danger of putting too much attention on a handful of stars.   People will believe they are the only ones worth seeing, and so if a tournament misses a couple of them, it leaves a bit of a  gap.

That said, I think it's one of those inevitable things.   This year with attention being turned to different players will help to even things up a bit and make them better known and therefore more interesting to the general public for the future.
  Agreed. I hate the celebrity-junkie mentality that goes with a lot of this.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Sony Tennis Open: 20th-31st March 2013 « Reply #182 on: March 26, 2013, 01:39 AM »

I'm not missing Fed or Rafa either, but apparently ticket sales have been affected:

It's a shame - if I lived in Miami, I'd love to go to the tournament, with or without Rafa or Fed. I bet the tournament organisers are dreading the day they retire, they must bring in so much ticket revenue wherever they play.
I agree and I see it as an insult to players like Djokovic and Andy, not to mention the rest of the top 20 and promising players like Dimitrov, if all that people are interested in is seeing Nadal and a past-it Federer play.  I doubt very much anyway that they're true tennis fans because if they were they'd still be jumping at the chance to get tickets.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Sony Tennis Open: 20th-31st March 2013 « Reply #183 on: March 27, 2013, 10:57 AM »

oh misread it was in the small print of the results - thanks Elena

Ruthie, that Ferrer match result was on the BBC's text service too. They'd got Tursunov as the winner if I recall correctly, which seems bonkers to me lol.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Sony Tennis Open: 20th-31st March 2013 « Reply #184 on: March 27, 2013, 11:04 AM »

Don’t mean to hurt anyone's feelings but I am finding this tournament very refreshing without Nadal and Federer.

Me too. I think the whole thing gets a bit more balanced when the two of them are not playing. I like hearing about some of the players we mignt not hear much about if Nadal and Federer were there. Strangely, I think it also gives Andy the chance to receive the respect he is due.

I don't understand people's attitudes to be honest. Andy is my favourite by some distance, but there are others I like to watch. I really like young Dimitrov for example. If I had a chance to go to a tournament I would never not go just because my player of choice wasn't there. Then again, how many Nadal, and especially Fed fans, are really in to the sport?
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Sony Tennis Open: 20th-31st March 2013 « Reply #185 on: March 27, 2013, 03:16 PM »

Most of us have had to struggle with family/personal issues and focus in our jobs at one time or another.

Thankfully we've never had to do it under the extreme close-up camera scrutiny of worldwide viewers and running commentaries.

Good luck to JM, and I look forward to seeing him back in full force asap.
Yes, such reasons for not being able to perform at ones best are not nice. Look at Andy struggling with Ross's illness, he's never far from Andy's thoughts, I should imagine.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Sony Tennis Open: 20th-31st March 2013 « Reply #186 on: March 28, 2013, 03:07 AM »

Me too. I think the whole thing gets a bit more balanced when the two of them are not playing. I like hearing about some of the players we mignt not hear much about if Nadal and Federer were there. Strangely, I think it also gives Andy the chance to receive the respect he is due.

I don't understand people's attitudes to be honest. Andy is my favourite by some distance, but there are others I like to watch. I really like young Dimitrov for example. If I had a chance to go to a tournament I would never not go just because my player of choice wasn't there. Then again, how many Nadal, and especially Fed fans, are really in to the sport?
I like the idea of lower-ranked players being allowed to shine away from the shadow of these two - and Djokovic has now added to that by being knocked out by Haas.

Like you Andy is my favourite but that doesn't stop me admiring other players, and I enjoy seeing the likes of Dimitrov who are still trying to climb up the rankings, although I'd never support them if they're playing against Andy.

I'm not too worried about Nadal's fans but I fear many of Fed's fans might be in need of counselling once their beloved idol hangs up his racket to enable them to cope with the withdrawal symptoms. Whistle
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Sony Tennis Open: 20th-31st March 2013 « Reply #187 on: March 28, 2013, 06:01 PM »

I enjoy watching all the players....even Federer, well, when I sense a potential upset that is. lol. But I do prefer watching the lower ranked players and that's why I find myself watching the earlier rounds of any tournament far more than the later rounds. It gets predictable as the tournament moves on leaving only top players most times.

Actually let me clarify, I like a great tennis match far more than, let's say, a player or specific players unless it's Andy, so by that token, I don't actually have a 2nd or 3rd favourite player. I am more into match ups and into those matches that seem to take a life on their own.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »