Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Stay Cool Murray - The Sun 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Stay Cool Murray - The Sun

(Read 544 times)
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Stay Cool Murray - The Sun « on: January 19, 2006, 02:42 PM »

I typed this up from The Sun newspaper.

Super Mario's tip for top

Mario Ancic has told Andy Murray not to worry about sky-high expectations.

The Brit teen is enjoying a stunning start to his pro career but lost in straight sets to Juan Ignacio Chela in the first round of the Aussie Open.

Murray later insisted people should not presume he will win every match.

And he has won support from Croatian Ancic - who knows all about carrying the hopes of a nation.

Super Mario, 21, burst on to the scene in sensational style and remains the last man to beat Roger Federer at Wimbledon - in 2002, when he was an 18-year-old qualifier.

That put him under pressure to follow in the footsteps of Croatian legend Goran Ivanisevic - the former SW19 champ - which slowed his progess.

Ancic in now in the world's top 20 - and the 18th seed moved into the third round in Melbourne yesterday with a straight-set win over Czech Jan Hernych.

He then advised Sun columnist Murray, 18, to stay cool.  Ancic said: "In the end, I didn't worry about anyone else's expectations for me.  I just worried about my expectations - what I should improve and where I should be in four or five month's time.

"Of course you want to be up there straight away but you have to understand that tennis, like every sport, is a matter of progress.  I just concentrated on that because you ranking comes with improvement.

"When I beat Roger, there was a lot of attendion but I just tried to stay humble, worry about my game and tried to improve."

Murray's defeat Down Under was disappointing.  But in his first eight months on Tour, his record is still BETTER than Federer, Lleyton Hewit and Andy Roddick at the same stage.

Nice to know tennis players look out for each other.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Stay Cool Murray - The Sun « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 02:45 PM »

Thank you for that Amy hug Great Article - nice to see some sportsmen are still good guys!! Wink
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

Stay Cool Murray - The Sun « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 04:33 PM »

yeah it must be lonely on tour so im sure they all appreciate it when they get supportive comments from other players
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Stay Cool Murray - The Sun « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 05:20 PM »

Beeb article on super Mario
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »