Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Still a human being... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Still a human being...  (Read 1311 times)
Amy
Challenger Level

Still a human being... « on: November 04, 2005, 09:32 PM »

Don't want to put a downer on anyone or anything but no one else seems to be getting this.
Andrew Murray is still a human being like the rest of us.
He's not a show pony. He's a person. He still has feelings and, like the rest of us, has a job to do- just like any normal office worker or a shopkeeper (for example).
Some are talking about him as though he's an 'It' or a 'Thing.' Show some respect.
I know i'm only 16 and i dont know as much as other people on this site but just think of the way you talk of him, thats all.

xx
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

Still a human being... « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 09:42 PM »

I get what you're saying, and i have always respected that fact!
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

Still a human being... « Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 09:48 PM »

:?   I'm not quite sure what or who you're getting at there, amy.

The simple truth is that Andy and his meteoric rise has made him something of an exceptional human being.

He said himself that if you didn't want all the garbage that comes with being a "name", then you shouldn't be in the game.

You see, he's not just a talented human being, the whole hopes of British tennis hang on his young shoulders, just as they have on Henman's for the last 12 years.

Once you get that level of expectations, then life changes completely. Being famous would be a nightmare to me. I want to BE just a human being, not have to put up with all that fame implies.

But for better or worse, anything said on this forum will be as nothing when the press turn against him. And they will. They build people up to knock them down.

I think he's level headed enough to cope, but nothing can prepare anyone for what being famous means.

It means he can never be "just a human being" again.

Smile I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here.
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Still a human being... « Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 09:54 PM »

Hi
Of course he should be treated with respect, I totally agree!

But Almost all posters here are big Andy-fans and they don't mean to show disrespect. Maybe sometimes by typing it wrong, it seems like they don't have any respect, but that's just because it's writing, not speaking and everything can be understood the wrong way.
So I just think everybody treats there idol and for some there sensation with loads of respect, sometimes with more respect than they have for themselves...
Well, I think I'm speaking for most of us, aren't I?
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Still a human being... « Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 10:06 PM »

Tally, your words are spot on there!!  Smile

Amy - i respect your opinion, but im afraid i don't totally agree with it.
Yes, he has feelings, yes, he is a human being, and yes, he has to get on with what he's good at like the rest of us... but he's just that tiny bit different to you or me, or for that matter anyone else!
He's an exeptional person, both on court and of the court.. and a fact's a fact - he's the only British rising star at the moment so you have to take a chance with him! He's carrying the weight that Tim once carried, and it will always be one person that does this. Just like any other country... Roger Federer carrys the weight for Switzerland.
From what i have heard, none of the fans have ever said anything personal towards Andy or disrespected him in anyway to upset him. Yes, fans can sometimes "joke" or exaggerate but what would life be like if there is no humour?
Andy's a person that has risen to another level, another dimension... and the press can say what they want because that's what they're good at!
And as fans we are the ones that will cheer him on through the boos and injuries! He'll have problems. Mentally, physically and there will be times when he just feels like giving up.. but that's why his name is Andrew Murray! It will always have a special ring to it!

I hope you see.. not that i disagree with you Amy, but we're all hear for one reason... The best thing that could possibly happen to British tennis... so why not enjoy and make the most of this excellent chance?!  Very Happy
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Still a human being... « Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 10:10 PM »

I agree with Tally on this one as well.  peacedove
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Still a human being... « Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 02:26 PM »

I do see where you're coming from amy, but i understand the others points as well.
We're all fans of andy, we may joke around, but we do truly enjoy watching his tennis and seeing his career develop and i'm sure we all have the ultimate respect for him and what he does and the stuff hes had to go through to get where he is Smile
Objectification comes with fame, its unfortunate, but true, and whilst i do understand your point (and I'm probably one of the main culprits) we do all understand that andy is a tennis player and not anything else and we never ever mean to be offensive in anything we say. If you look at the press articles on him for the last week, you'll noticed that they've latched on to things such as his image in a much more vicious way than we have....not that theres any realy comparison but still...
And what dentie says is also true - meaning is not always conveyed on the internet - I may type something sarcastically or in what i think is a joking manner, but someone else may interpret it differently and think that i'm being serious. This is no-ones fault it just happens Smile
Sorry if this makes no sense at all!

L x x x
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Still a human being... « Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 03:25 PM »

Very Happy  Hey, I've had 3 PM's on my American site telling me to "stop crowing about Andy, he's not a patch on Donald Young?"(  Rolling Eyes who he, you might say...next big hope for American tennis, apparently) and "he'll fail at the big league like every other limey before him". :P

Funny they've all heard about Andy, if not watched him. Methinks they do protest too much.

That's what being a huge fan of Andy means to me. Not being a "fan" in the obsessive way of my teens.. (I'm too old for that) but accepting that he's going to make mistakes. he's going to need loads of good people on his side.

(Queen Judy is obviously THE main person in this....she hasn't put a foot wrong yet). He is a rarity. A major talent. To think he is going to be just a "normal human being, just like us who work in shops, offices etc" is naive in the extreme, and totally unrealistic.

Sorry amy, I'm not "having a go", but fame and talent (especially in our media obsessed world) are life changing things.

Can you imagine not being able to step outside your house in case photographers are there, having people run through your rubbish bins to dig up anything they can about you, phoning everyone who has a passing acquaintance with you who will sell their story for a couple of grand, veracity not an issue as long as they cant be sued?

Sad, I know, but that's just the tip of the iceberg in Celebville. No way can he be the same lad as he was 6 months ago.

And that makes me very sad. Fortunately, if Andy carries on, he'll be a millionaire soon, and Queen Judy will finally have to stop worrying. He can keep HER! :P

As one older woman to another, I do hope so.  Very Happy
IP Logged
Iain
Futures Level

Stupid white men « Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 06:20 PM »

Donald Young? Sounds like another Scottish player! Anyway, he's only 16. I don't have too much time for Americans.  All they care about and expect is Americans to be the best at everything. They're unsettled because Roddick is their only top player with the exception of Agassi. How many do they want?  Evil or Very Mad   I forgot about Ginepri, Blake and Dent???? We don't have a great number ourselves. I think they're annoyed because Sampras was the best in the world (american), as were Conners and McEnroe before. The undisputed world no.1 is a Swiss. Have they heard of Switzerland? They're only interested in sports which they dominate. The upcoming players are from Britain,  Very Happy  oh yes!! I can say that now, Croatia, Slovakia, France, (they don't like France!),   and other "little" conuntries.

Iain
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Still a human being... « Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 06:46 PM »

LOL Iain, I get shot down for racism if I start criticising Americans. One of my best internet buddies is a true American, and she'll pick me up pronto if I start on about the Americans.
But she's not so blinkered that she doesn't realise not all her compatriates are as well travelled as her.

But it's sad that the future of tennis' big bucks lies with our Stateside friends. If they aint interested, then sponsorship suffers.

I'd love any Americans to reassure me that Sport in The States isn't just about Americans. Unfortunately I dont think this is so.
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

Still a human being... « Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 06:54 PM »

I apologise. I didn't mean to offend anyone and the post wasn't aimed at one specific person (apart from the media. They just need to back off.)
I think i said a few things wrongly and not how i meant.
And you're right, he's an extrordinary person.

xx
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Still a human being... « Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 08:20 PM »

Quote from: "Amy"
I apologise. I didn't mean to offend anyone and the post wasn't aimed at one specific person (apart from the media. They just need to back off.)
I think i said a few things wrongly and not how i meant.
And you're right, he's an extrordinary person.

xx

don't worry about it - i understand exactly what you were getting at - you're right, sometimes we do tend to treat him like a bit of a 'thing', but such is celebrity. im pretty sure no-one was offended Smile
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Still a human being... « Reply #12 on: November 06, 2005, 08:35 PM »

O:)  I bet he's loving the attention. This is what they play for. It's exciting at first, I would think.

We're all entitled to our own views, that's why we've got this forum.

Dont worry about pps disagreeing, Amy. :tonqe:
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Still a human being... « Reply #13 on: November 06, 2005, 08:36 PM »

Quote from: "hulahoop"
 :tonqe:

scary smiley.....looks like a nice innocent smiling face.....but NO!!
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Still a human being... « Reply #14 on: November 06, 2005, 08:38 PM »

Quote from: "eira_arian"
Quote from: "hulahoop"
 :tonqe:

scary smiley.....looks like a nice innocent smiling face.....but NO!!

](*,)  Oops. I thought it was just an ordinary smiley one!

Blame Mark, he's tinkering with them all.  Eh?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »