Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  BBC Sports Personality award 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

BBC Sports Personality award 2011

(Read 6017 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « on: December 01, 2011, 10:19 AM »

Hi changing the subject, Andy has been nominated for sports personailty on the BBC , could we all vote it would be great to see him win, and Andy was on" in a league of their own "on sky 1 25th nov , i am sure you can still see it, he was great, very interesting what he said, well worth a watch, James Corden is so funny.

Mod NoticeMoved comment from news article to here.
[ Last edit by Mark December 01, 2011, 07:45 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 07:11 PM »

Hi changing the subject, Andy has been nominated for sports personailty on the BBC , could we all vote it would be great to see him win, and Andy was on" in a league of their own "on sky 1 25th nov , i am sure you can still see it, he was great, very interesting what he said, well worth a watch, James Corden is so funny.
I will certainly vote deb but have no illusions - there is no way he'll win given so many tennis fans are so anti-Andy.  And I suspect that would be the case even if he won successive slams. Sorry to be so cynical.  It won't stop me voting for him.
On the psychology issue: I'm sorry that Andy has turned so firmly against such help.  However, it does seem from what he said that he is acknowledging the importance of the psychological side; it's just that he doesn't see a sports psychologist as the answer.  And perhaps for him it isn't given how he feels about them. I agree he could probably learn what he needs from one of the greats.  In particular I so wish he'd spend time with Agassi while he's in the US. Agassi is his hero and he seems to be very well disposed towards Andy. 
IP Logged
steve bywaters
Junior

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 08:48 PM »

I will certainly vote deb but have no illusions - there is no way he'll win given so many tennis fans are so anti-Andy.  And I suspect that would be the case even if he won successive slams. Sorry to be so cynical.  It won't stop me voting for him.
On the psychology issue: I'm sorry that Andy has turned so firmly against such help.  However, it does seem from what he said that he is acknowledging the importance of the psychological side; it's just that he doesn't see a sports psychologist as the answer.  And perhaps for him it isn't given how he feels about them. I agree he could probably learn what he needs from one of the greats.  In particular I so wish he'd spend time with Agassi while he's in the US. Agassi is his hero and he seems to be very well disposed towards Andy. 

right he could win all 4 slams & he'll never win this.

Its a personality contest.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 08:55 PM »

No it's not a personality contest but even if it was for the people that bother to get to know Andy and read the honest articles and listen to his interviews then you know that he has a cracking personality and sense of humour.  Unfortunately there are not enough true tennis fans to vote for Andy to win it how the heck the canadian "makey on" Brit won it I will never know.  I for one will register my vote but reckon it will not count despite the fact he has virtually singly handedly dragged the British DC team up through the zones and re-ignited an interest in tennis.  On another note the Scottish Sports Awards take place tomorrow night and are on the TV on Sunday night Andy is on the shortlist for this award.
IP Logged
steve bywaters
Junior

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 09:08 PM »

No it's not a personality contest but even if it was for the people that bother to get to know Andy and read the honest articles and listen to his interviews then you know that he has a cracking personality and sense of humour. 

hold on a moment I listen to his interviews and worse still, watch them. He comes across with all the personality of a corpse and I'm afraid the Great British public will not vote for a corpse. Not saying he's like that in private life and it shouldn't distract from his tennis talent but this is a personality award so lets scrub this contest and look forward to Andy winning a "Career Slam" 2012
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 09:24 PM »

It is not a personality contest look at the people that have won it in the past few years..........
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 09:47 PM »

I think Murray deserves the award, he has done a lot to make Britain proud and given them a worthy contender!

My guess is though that Rory Mcilroy will probably end up as the winner, but Murray winning would ne a nice little boost for tennis in his homeland.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 12:01 AM »

Past recipients:-

1954 Sir Chris Chataway
1955 Gordon Pirie 
1956 Jim Laker
1957 Dai Rees 
1958 Ian Black
1959 John Surtees 
1960 David Broome   
1961 Sir Stirling Moss 
1962 Anita Lonsbrough 
1963 Dorothy Hyman 
1964 Mary Rand   
1965 Tommy Simpson 
1966 Bobby Moore   
1967 Sir Henry Cooper 
1968 David Hemery   
1969 Ann Jones 
1970 Sir Henry Cooper   
1971 HRH Princess Anne 
1972 Dame Mary Peters   
1973 Sir Jackie Stewart 
1974 Brendan Foster   
1975 David Steele 
1976 John Curry   
1977 Virginia Wade 
1978 Steve Ovett   
1979 Lord Sebastian Coe 
1980 Robin Cousins   
1981 Sir Ian Botham 
1982 Daley Thompson   
1983 Steve Cram 
1984 Torvill and Dean   
1985 Barry McGuigan 
1986 Nigel Mansell   
1987 Fatima Whitbread 
1988 Steve Davis   
1989 Nick Faldo 
1990 Paul Gascoigne   
1991 Liz McColgan 
1992 Nigel Mansell   
1993 Linford Christie 
1994 Damon Hill   
1995 Jonathan Edwards 
1996 Damon Hill   
1997 Greg Rusedski 
1998 Michael Owen   
1999 Lennox Lewis 
2000 Sir Steve Redgrave   
2001 David Beckham 
2002 Paula Radcliffe   
2003 Jonny Wilkinson 
2004 Dame Kelly Holmes   
2005 Andrew Flintoff 
2006 Zara Phillips   
2007 Joe Calzaghe 
2008 Sir Chris Hoy   
2009 Ryan Giggs 
2010 AP McCoy   

Would seem that tennis only makes one appearance - Virginia Wade in 1977 - but I could be wrong, since I don't know all of those that appear on the list.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 01:14 AM »

Andy doesn't deserve the award this year... yes
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 03:26 AM »

Andy won Scottish SPOTY 2011.  A shame he wasn't there to receive it.  Judy collected it on his behalf.

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg859/scaled.php?tn=0&server=859&filename=yhayq.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 08:44 AM »

Andy doesn't deserve the award this year... yes

It's like it's a stick which can be used to beat Andy with.

Why not just be glad that he's been nominated?
I think his massive achievement of reaching the semis of every Slam this year - which very few world tennis players, never mind just British, have ever done, (including Greg who won the SPOTY award in 1997) - is worthy of nomination.
He's one lone male player keeping British Tennis high profile - Bravo, Andy!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 09:43 AM »

It's like it's a stick which can be used to beat Andy with.

Why not just be glad that he's been nominated?
I think his massive achievement of reaching the semis of every Slam this year - which very few world tennis players, never mind just British, have ever done, (including Greg who won the SPOTY award in 1997) - is worthy of nomination.
He's one lone male player keeping British Tennis high profile - Bravo, Andy!

clap
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 10:14 AM »

How the hell did I miss Greg!? blush
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 10:24 AM »

How the hell did I miss Greg!? blush

Could be Bevc, that in the back of your mind you were thinking of him being a Canadian!   Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
stevemarsh

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 10:30 AM »

Realistically you have to look at the others being nominated and say Andy really isnt in the running. Despite a pretty good season his lacking in a slam means he wont get near the top 3

Daren Clarke would be my tip for the award this year major winner and very popular in the sporting world, Mark Cavendish huge season for him but I bet he is overlooked from the british public.

Andy wins a slam this year then it will be interesting to see next years spoty..

What are peoples thoughts on no women representatives in this years awards?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »