Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  BBC Sports Personality award 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

BBC Sports Personality award 2011

(Read 7472 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 10:51 AM »

Realistically you have to look at the others being nominated and say Andy really isnt in the running. Despite a pretty good season his lacking in a slam means he wont get near the top 3

Daren Clarke would be my tip for the award this year major winner and very popular in the sporting world, Mark Cavendish huge season for him but I bet he is overlooked from the british public.

Andy wins a slam this year then it will be interesting to see next years spoty..

What are peoples thoughts on no women representatives in this years awards?
I agree Andy won't win but I still think we should all vote for him so he gets a good showing - he has certainly achieved enough this year to merit that.  Surely the contest is about achievement not personality despite the title.  That said I simply don't accept the negative comments about his personality.  He has considerable personality but as someone who is clearly not that out-going in public it may not always come across particularly in formal situations such as press conferences.  Though even there he sometimes cracks wry jokes.
I think it's pathetic that there are no women stevem but at least the fuss will mean it doesn't happen again I'm sure.
Must admit I write as someone who never took any interest at all in these awards until I heard that Andy had been nominated a couple of years ago.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 10:59 AM »

Realistically you have to look at the others being nominated and say Andy really isnt in the running. Despite a pretty good season his lacking in a slam means he wont get near the top 3

Daren Clarke would be my tip for the award this year major winner and very popular in the sporting world, Mark Cavendish huge season for him but I bet he is overlooked from the british public.

Andy wins a slam this year then it will be interesting to see next years spoty..

What are peoples thoughts on no women representatives in this years awards?

As much as I love Andy, I think that Darren might get the nod. The well publicised death of his wife from cancer a few years ago was stirred up again following his win this year-didn't he dedicate it to the memory of her and to his children? Sentiment will play a part in the publics decision.

As for the lack of women nominees - I didn't even notice until it was pointed out in a bedb article. Embarassed
IP Logged
stevemarsh

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 11:03 AM »

I agree Andy won't win but I still think we should all vote for him so he gets a good showing - he has certainly achieved enough this year to merit that.  Surely the contest is about achievement not personality despite the title.  That said I simply don't accept the negative comments about his personality.  He has considerable personality but as someone who is clearly not that out-going in public it may not always come across particularly in formal situations such as press conferences.  Though even there he sometimes cracks wry jokes.
I think it's pathetic that there are no women stevem but at least the fuss will mean it doesn't happen again I'm sure.
Must admit I write as someone who never took any interest at all in these awards until I heard that Andy had been nominated a couple of years ago.

I absolutely agree its more about the acheivement than personality, why I mentioned cavendish, points winner at the tour de france and world champion he is the stand out champion of 2011 for me yet wont get the votes im sure, hence I dont watch it.

I also agree Andy gets a lot of negative press about personality, I follow him on twitter and when he does tweet hes engaging and far from devoid of personality.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 12:02 PM »

When they devised this stupid award, some goon decided to put the word 'personality' into the title, and now no one knows if we're voting for someone's easy charm and charisma or their sporting achievements. It's just not clear.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 12:38 PM »

This has always bugged me too.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 12:47 PM »

Despite a pretty good season his lacking in a slam means he wont get near the top 3  

So how come Greg won it then?

[But I agree - there are others more worthy this year - I'm just determined not to turn it into a negative. I'm thrilled he's made achievements this year which have rightly contributed to him being nominated]
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 12:59 PM »

It's like it's a stick which can be used to beat Andy with.

Why not just be glad that he's been nominated?
I think his massive achievement of reaching the semis of every Slam this year - which very few world tennis players, never mind just British, have ever done, (including Greg who won the SPOTY award in 1997) - is worthy of nomination.
He's one lone male player keeping British Tennis high profile - Bravo, Andy!

It's not like any stick, you jump to some pretty crazy conclusions?

He doesn't deserve to win it because he's not the best in his sport. Greg is a joke.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 01:12 PM »

It's not like any stick, you jump to some pretty crazy conclusions?

He doesn't deserve to win it because he's not the best in his sport. Greg is a joke.

Thought he was the best in his sport in Britain?

He won't win it because others are more worthy this year, but he does deserve a nomination. That was my point.
[ Last edit by matchpoint December 02, 2011, 02:25 PM ] IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 01:19 PM »

Thought he was the best in his sport in Britain?

He doesn't deserve to win it because others are more worthy this year, but he does deserve a nomination. That was my point.

Of course he deserves a nomination, I never said otherwise... I just think others are more deserving and have been every year that Andy has been nominated so far.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 03:49 PM »

Listen i love Andy as much as the rest of you.
But! i would prefer he didn't win Sport personality of the year until he actually wins his first you know what (hopefully in the AO, he's my favourite anyway).
As for his literal `Sports Personality`ie his on court attitude well, if its based on that he wouldn't have a chance anyway. I think it needs quite a bit of work still hence the endless threads such as this one.
But I also agree that there has been some great improvements since the US open but we shall really know where he is at by the end of next month, after the first slam of the year. He's yet to experience true pressure with this improved mentality, as the Asian swing barely troubled him despite nadal Ferrer etc (all the more impressive really)
I'm hopeful for a breakthrough now however, its time.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 04:23 PM »

It would be best for Andy to keep things low at this point. I'd rather see him win a Slam first - everything else will follow.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 05:11 PM »

It's like it's a stick which can be used to beat Andy with.

Why not just be glad that he's been nominated?
I think his massive achievement of reaching the semis of every Slam this year - which very few world tennis players, never mind just British, have ever done, (including Greg who won the SPOTY award in 1997) - is worthy of nomination.
He's one lone male player keeping British Tennis high profile - Bravo, Andy!

clap
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 05:14 PM »

I will certainly vote deb but have no illusions - there is no way he'll win given so many tennis fans are so anti-Andy.  And I suspect that would be the case even if he won successive slams. Sorry to be so cynical.  It won't stop me voting for him.
On the psychology issue: I'm sorry that Andy has turned so firmly against such help.  However, it does seem from what he said that he is acknowledging the importance of the psychological side; it's just that he doesn't see a sports psychologist as the answer.  And perhaps for him it isn't given how he feels about them. I agree he could probably learn what he needs from one of the greats.  In particular I so wish he'd spend time with Agassi while he's in the US. Agassi is his hero and he seems to be very well disposed towards Andy. 
Me to Ruthie, i no he wont win, Its all about slams!!!!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 05:37 PM »

Yes, it is about the slams because it is the ultimate achievement in tennis. Every player works towards it because it is the ultimate goal. Frankly, I don't care about anything else. 
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 06:04 PM »

Sadly, the majority of the people who will vote know only about one slam. They have little concept of tennis beyond the last week in June and the first week in July, when, beered up, they hurl abuse at Andy Murray for supporting anyone but England.

They're immune to Murray's brilliance. Yet they'll happily sit through 90 minutes of excruciatingly painful, muddy, eye-wateringly boring rubbish on a Friday night on Sky Sports 3 as Gillingham take on Leyton Orient.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »