Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  BBC Sports Personality award 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Reply
Author

BBC Sports Personality award 2011

(Read 6724 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #90 on: December 23, 2011, 02:50 PM »

Yes better late than never.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #91 on: December 23, 2011, 03:18 PM »

I am pleased he came 5th. I did not expect him to get as many votes. So there is hope he may win in the future.
Yeh, that's much better than I thought Andy would do, don't get me wrong I would love Andy to come first but knew It'll only happen when he picks up the Wimbledon title. I thought it would be between Rory McIlroy and Mark Cavendish. I'm amazed, why is Rory McIlroy so low in the list??  
[ Last edit by dex December 23, 2011, 03:24 PM ] IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #92 on: December 23, 2011, 03:22 PM »

I think he'd have to win a GS to win it littlebuddha [although I do seem to recall that Greg R won it simply on the strength of getting to USO final that year].  Must admit I've never watched it in the past but I do now when Andy is nominated.  But like you was very heartened that he did so well especially as the format this year seemed to highlight his absence more than a couple of years ago when he was last nominated.  Perhaps the British public is finally beginning to recognise just what a star he is.
That year Greg won it, the feild was rubbish, anyone getting to a final was good enough!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #93 on: December 23, 2011, 03:29 PM »

That year Greg won it, the feild was rubbish, anyone getting to a final was good enough!
That makes sense - the field would have to have been rubbish. 
No idea why Rory M did so badly. I guess the golfers lost out as a result of there being 3 of them but still surprised he did so badly as he's probably the best known of the 3 [at least he's the one I'd heard of!]
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #94 on: December 23, 2011, 07:53 PM »

I was really surprised and pleased to see that Andy came 5th - better than he's done before I think.  When I was trying to get to sleep later listening to 5Live Andy was the most frequently mentioned person who shouldn't have been on the list so I really didn't expect him to do well.  Apparently he didn't win anything this year!

Ruthie, it was primarily Claire Balding that kept stating that Andy should not have been one of the ten. John Inverdale, who is a supporter of Andy's talent consistently ignored her comments.

Although, I agree that our femail athletes should had a strong showing on SPOTY. However, such an obvious omission will NEVER be repeated in future years; and thank goodness for that.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #95 on: December 23, 2011, 11:15 PM »

The (fully deserved) award to Cavendish has revealed the astonishing ignorance in the UK of any sport outside football. The message boards in the papers and on various forums make me embarrassed to be British. He's actually a bigger star in France than in his own country.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #96 on: December 24, 2011, 05:37 AM »

Yeh, that's much better than I thought Andy would do, don't get me wrong I would love Andy to come first but knew It'll only happen when he picks up the Wimbledon title. I thought it would be between Rory McIlroy and Mark Cavendish. I'm amazed, why is Rory McIlroy so low in the list?? 
No idea why Rory M did so badly. I guess the golfers lost out as a result of there being 3 of them but still surprised he did so badly as he's probably the best known of the 3 [at least he's the one I'd heard of!]
I'm not a golfing fan, but from what I've read in the media it seems that, after winning his first major, the prestigious US Open, in June, at the age of 22 - and Andy inevitably being compared by them to him because of his failure to win a Slam - McIlroy fell off the perch they had created for him by turning in a dismal performance at the British Open in Sandwich, Kent, where he had to contend with cold, wet and windy weather and the rough course conditions of links golf, then blaming mainly the weather for his lack of success, whingeing publicly that he preferred playing in the hotter, sunnier climate of America.

He then incurred a lot of ridicule when playing in the PGA Championship in Atlanta, where he ruined his chances by injuring his wrist early in the tournament after, stupidly for a professional, attempting to hit a ball behind a tree root.  He did win two more titles - the Shanghai Masters and Hong Kong Open - but by then the damage had been done.  He also had the misfortune to have the popular 43 year old golfer Darren Clarke, who did win the British Open and who was runner-up, as a fellow nominee, as well as the current world No.1 Luke Donald.  I also understand that some, presumably female, fans fell out of love with him when he suddenly dumped his long-term girlfriend recently in favour of Caroline Wozniacki.

The (fully deserved) award to Cavendish has revealed the astonishing ignorance in the UK of any sport outside football. The message boards in the papers and on various forums make me embarrassed to be British. He's actually a bigger star in France than in his own country.
You could say the same about Andy.  Look how popular he is in Australia and, possibly, the US compared to the support he gets here.  I've a nasty suspicion that winning a Slam, unless perhaps it's Wimbledon, won't get him the SPOTY award, as it would also depend on who the other nominees are.  Oh well, at least he won BBC Scotland's SPOTY.  Bagpipes  yay
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #97 on: December 24, 2011, 12:39 PM »

As you say Aileen I do not think Andy will ever win BBC SPOTY UK version. He would probably have to win Wimbledon and every slam. It's a pity he is not recognised as a great tennis player in this country outwith Scotland. It seems no matter what he does will ever be good enough as he himself says I am the number one GB player who happens to be Scottish. Some things will never change.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #98 on: December 24, 2011, 04:53 PM »

Ruthie, it was primarily Claire Balding that kept stating that Andy should not have been one of the ten. John Inverdale, who is a supporter of Andy's talent consistently ignored her comments.

Although, I agree that our femail athletes should had a strong showing on SPOTY. However, such an obvious omission will NEVER be repeated in future years; and thank goodness for that.
Sorry to hear that as I rather like Clare Balding.  But it was punters ringing up on the phone-in who were mainly naming Andy.  I agree they won't make the same mistake of an all-male shortlist again, but ironically it perhaps drew more attention to women's sport than would otherwise have been the case!
Littlebuddha and Aileen you may well be right that Andy will have to win Wimbledon before winning SPOTY but I do take heart from him coming 5th this time.  But to be honest if Andy wins any GS I don't think he would care a toss about SPOTY and nor would I - it would simply be icing on the cake.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #99 on: December 24, 2011, 06:21 PM »

With Andy coming in 5 ahead of, Strauss, Cook, McIlroy, Greene and Khan proves that among tennis fans with appropriate knowledge of the game, Andy is loved and respected by many more than we realised. Such support obviously transends narrow minded borders, namely the WHOLE of United Kingdom.

Bear in mind also that Andy was the only one of the 10 nominees not to appear in person at the ceremony. Perhaps the once-a-year Wimbledon audience is starting to appreciate our man's skills.
Quite so, i was really pleased he did so well, i voted loads!! a head of quite a few i would of thought the public would vote for more, well done Andy, if he wins ( WHEN!) WIMBELEDON, i think Andy will win it, lets face it a lot of people think thats all he plays!!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #100 on: December 25, 2011, 02:27 AM »

Sorry to hear that as I rather like Clare Balding.  But it was punters ringing up on the phone-in who were mainly naming Andy.  I agree they won't make the same mistake of an all-male shortlist again, but ironically it perhaps drew more attention to women's sport than would otherwise have been the case!
Littlebuddha and Aileen you may well be right that Andy will have to win Wimbledon before winning SPOTY but I do take heart from him coming 5th this time. But to be honest if Andy wins any GS I don't think he would care a toss about SPOTY and nor would I - it would simply be icing on the cake.
Agree with that absolutely.  Winning a GS means everything to Andy, regardless of which one it is.  He was, of course, fair chuffed to get the Scottish award and gave a very nice, humble, thank-you speech by video link.  However, I have a sneaking feeling the UK in general won't fully wake up to his great talent until he's no longer competing (that old cliche "You don't know what you have until its gone" springs to mind) although a Wimbledon win might just penetrate Britain's collective consciousness, at least for that year.
IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #101 on: December 26, 2011, 12:58 PM »

The BBC did Andy no favours - they conveniently forgot to mention that the reason Andy was the only SPOTY nominee not present was because of his intensive training in Miami prior to the AO while, curiously, in the same programme Djokovic and Wozniacki WERE honourably excused for the exact same reason.  The Xmas Eve edition of the Daily Mail made mention that Andy's team were not too happy about this 'oversight' by Auntie.  Andy did great to come fifth in the circumstances. 
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #102 on: December 26, 2011, 03:14 PM »

The BBC did Andy no favours - they conveniently forgot to mention that the reason Andy was the only SPOTY nominee not present was because of his intensive training in Miami prior to the AO while
They've failed to mention the reason in previous years as well, they just say "he can't make it" to the show. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #103 on: December 26, 2011, 05:08 PM »

They've failed to mention the reason in previous years as well, they just say "he can't make it" to the show. Rolling Eyes
It then looks like Andy is indifferent to the whole thing whereas he probably is just too modest to think he might win it. They definitely should have explained.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #104 on: December 26, 2011, 06:28 PM »

It then looks like Andy is indifferent to the whole thing whereas he probably is just too modest to think he might win it. They definitely should have explained.
I agree and especially  as the format this year was such as to highlight  Andy's absence more I felt.  Given that, I thought Andy coming 5th was that much more pleasing.
Aileen - alternatively Andy wins Wimbledon just after Scotland gains independence!  While I'd prefer it if Scotland remained  part of the UK can't help but think it would serve those English tennis fans who turn their noses up at Andy right. Whistle
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »