Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  BBC Sports Personality award 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Reply
Author

BBC Sports Personality award 2011

(Read 6799 times)
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #120 on: December 28, 2011, 08:40 PM »

Clare Balding was probably right about him not even deserving to be in the top ten this year. Remember hype could be a factor in his behaviour and one of the reasons his talent is taking a long while to mature.

Rusedski won the award with a lesser year than what Murray's done in each of the past 4 years.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #121 on: December 28, 2011, 09:25 PM »

We have to take things in the context of Today Lurking.
I can only assume that it was a very quiet year indeed if Rudseski won it.
Shows you also they may not be racially motivated if Henman didnt get it
But the barely English Rudseski did.
IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #122 on: December 28, 2011, 09:42 PM »

We have to take things in the context of Today Lurking.

That we won't see a UK player as good as Murray for 50 years, and his best year so far isn't good enough for him to be nominated?

Even if you have a great system like France has, you have no guarantee you'll produce a player that has stats like has Murray has with any regularity.
IP Logged
colin
Satellite Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #123 on: December 28, 2011, 10:57 PM »

2007 : Calzaghe [Welsh]
2008 : Hoy [Scottish]
2009 : Giggs [Welsh]
2010 : McCoy [N. Irish]

So much bias against Murray from the EBC.
...and this years winner, Mark Cavendish, is from the Isle of Man!!
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #124 on: December 29, 2011, 12:23 AM »

Many of Andys stats (& I've said this the most here & it underpins my posts)
are stats of a GREAT player. He is almost always ahead of Djokovic in a lot of the all time stats, even after this year and right in there among Nadal Federer Sampras LENDL Macenroe etc.
You know the all time greats, it's one of the reasons I don't worry about his future trajectory.
But award shows are about converting those stats into big shiny prizes.
He was better this year & he was very good the latter half of it in particular, but it was NOT a great year (Novak Djokovic was the one with that) he could have & in my view should have done better.
The great years to come, anyway it's done and I don't believe that anyone here thats reasonable wanted him to win this time.
It would not have been a good thing at all.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #125 on: December 29, 2011, 06:29 PM »

I didn't for a moment think he should have won this year but I do believe he deserved to be shortlisted - and the fact that he came 5th vindicates that surely? 
And yes I thought Johnnie Mac was great about Andy.  He recognises the immense talent that he has but also the temperamental weaknesses they share.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #126 on: December 30, 2011, 06:11 PM »

I didn't for a moment think he should have won this year but I do believe he deserved to be shortlisted - and the fact that he came 5th vindicates that surely? 
And yes I thought Johnnie Mac was great about Andy.  He recognises the immense talent that he has but also the temperamental weaknesses they share.

I know I am in a minority of one here but I don't really see anything particularly wrong with his on court demeanour. He doesn't smile much but none of them do. He complains about bad calls but they all do. He nags at himself but they all do. Compared to the ridiculous and unsporting tantrums of JMac he is an angel on court. 
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #127 on: December 30, 2011, 07:11 PM »

I agree I get sick if he is warned for swearing. He is not the only one, others because they swear in their own language are not warned so Andy learn to swear in Spanish. Verdasco and Ferrer do plenty of it. Andy does smile but only when he wants too he's not a glove puppet.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #128 on: December 30, 2011, 07:55 PM »

You're not the only one MT - I also think that far too much is made of Andy's on-court demeanour.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #129 on: December 30, 2011, 08:26 PM »

No I disagree,
It's more about the tactical implications of his behaviour than the pr for me.
Shouting at your box looks childish but the real problem is what it gives your opponent,
Also the negative body language; the grabbing of various body parts etc.
If it was a question of just how it looked that would be one thing, but it gives a real boost to your opponent and breaks your focus too.
The mental aspect of this sport is so important and it's vital to be positive and see the glass half full at all times.
Yes J Mac did it but he got 7 slams despite it (but also in hindsight saw that it held him back in key moments) but he was the only one. All of the rest of them leave it at the door including now Djokovic, and no one can tell me his improved attitude has not been a major component of his success.
Still as others have said Andys getting better & I'm certain it shall be put behind him soon enough.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #130 on: December 31, 2011, 01:14 AM »

No I disagree,
It's more about the tactical implications of his behaviour than the pr for me.
Shouting at your box looks childish but the real problem is what it gives your opponent,
Also the negative body language; the grabbing of various body parts etc.
If it was a question of just how it looked that would be one thing, but it gives a real boost to your opponent and breaks your focus too.
The mental aspect of this sport is so important and it's vital to be positive and see the glass half full at all times.
Yes J Mac did it but he got 7 slams despite it (but also in hindsight saw that it held him back in key moments) but he was the only one. All of the rest of them leave it at the door including now Djokovic, and no one can tell me his improved attitude has not been a major component of his success.
Still as others have said Andys getting better & I'm certain it shall be put behind him soon enough.
Yes good point I can see that it is important not to let your opponent see you are getting rattled. I think Andy said recently that he felt emotional on court and the modern game is so mentally demanding  now that he finds it hard to keep a lid on his feelings. Maybe the trick is to let it out when you hit a good shot (eg Nadal pumping the air) but try and stay quiet after the bad ones!
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #131 on: December 31, 2011, 02:06 AM »

@MT

Indeed!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #132 on: December 31, 2011, 10:19 AM »

Andy has also said that he tried to keep a lid on his emotions during the AO final last year and just felt flat.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #133 on: December 31, 2011, 10:49 AM »

Many of Andys stats (& I've said this the most here & it underpins my posts)
are stats of a GREAT player. He is almost always ahead of Djokovic in a lot of the all time stats, even after this year and right in there among Nadal Federer Sampras LENDL Macenroe etc.
You know the all time greats, it's one of the reasons I don't worry about his future trajectory.
But award shows are about converting those stats into big shiny prizes.
He was better this year & he was very good the latter half of it in particular, but it was NOT a great year (Novak Djokovic was the one with that) he could have & in my view should have done better.
The great years to come, anyway it's done and I don't believe that anyone here thats reasonable wanted him to win this time.
It would not have been a good thing at all.

Yeah, these people who say stuff like, as I read the other day, 'In my opinion, Andy Murray is probably the best player of the last 10 years not to have won a slam'.

That's so wrong. Murray is now statistically FAR AND AWAY the best player EVER never to have won a slam.

I said that with a backwards glance at Marcelo Rios. But I just checked him out and he made only one slam final and five quarters and was number one for six weeks. Clay was his surface, too (he won 3 clay Masters), but he never went beyond the quarters at RG.

Case closed.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: BBC Sports Personality award 2011 « Reply #134 on: December 31, 2011, 10:52 AM »

Well said Nigel! Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »