Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  The Anti Troll, Ignorant and Halfwit Ammunition Locker! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

The Anti Troll, Ignorant and Halfwit Ammunition Locker!

(Read 1944 times)
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Well it's that time of year again - and if you are anything like me, you'll find yourself somewhat reluctantly visiting pre and post Murray match forum comment boards. My trouble is that I scan read a couple of the "top voted" ones but then have an overriding sense to see what the "worst voted" have to say for themselves. I know, I know! But its something I cant stop myself from doing.

Since around 2008 I am pleased to say that the morons who sat in the majority, have slowly turned into the minority and are now classed as trolls and haters. The thing is: they still REALLY grind my gears! - not the trolls, you cant do anything about them - but the haters! Those pesky haters!

Given how ridiculously good Andy Murray is as a tennis player, but more importantly as a  human being, I figured it might be an idea to hammer out a collective barrage of facts and figures that are inarguable and indicative of just how good a player he is not only at this time but against the entire history of the game too. The idea being that you could take your pick from the facts and blast them out at your will.

Obviously we could pull stuff from the ATP Reliability Index but it only tells you so much. For instance, where does he sit on the all time returners list etc etc? (Incidentally where has that section gone on the ATP site?)

I know that we could pull pages and pages of stuff together which I will collate. I would be most grateful to get some expert ammo from you. . . . . .
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: The Anti Troll, Ignorant and Halfwit Ammunition Locker! « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 12:32 AM »

1 x US Open (Beating the top seed in the final)
1 x Olympic Gold - Something Federer has not achieved.
Winning head to head against Federer
27 Career titles
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Anti Troll, Ignorant and Halfwit Ammunition Locker! « Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 01:46 AM »

1 x US Open (Beating the top seed in the final)
1 x Olympic Gold - Something Federer has not achieved.
Winning head to head against Federer
27 Career titles

haahha but he's achieved so much more. but that doesn't take away what andy's achieved so far.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: The Anti Troll, Ignorant and Halfwit Ammunition Locker! « Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 01:48 AM »

ABM brigade canfuk off
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Anti Troll, Ignorant and Halfwit Ammunition Locker! « Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 02:40 AM »

Saw a guy on another forum I frequent asking for tips on who to bet on for Wimbledon. Given his post, it's quite evident he doesn't have the slightest clue about tennis.

Ladbrooks offering 10/1 on Murry to win wimbledon. Worth a punt? Any outsiders that anybody thinks could win this year? Think its there for the taking now with; Nadals injuries, potential lack of fitness & unfavoured surface. feds is losing it. murry gutless and djokovic, well hes probably got a good chance but i just dont think he will win this year!

I assured him Ferrer would be the best player to go with.

He later come back to tell people that 'He [Federer] will ein it this year. You have heard it here first'. I don't think he took my advice. A shame.

(Worth noting that a fair few people are tipping Murray to win, which makes a drastic change from two years ago when about 80% were ABM.)
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: The Anti Troll, Ignorant and Halfwit Ammunition Locker! « Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 07:02 AM »

The one that rattles my cage is "even Murray" pullhair
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: The Anti Troll, Ignorant and Halfwit Ammunition Locker! « Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 07:24 AM »

Hey this thread's a great idea drchef! I'm like you! Can never resist reading the bad bits!  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: The Anti Troll, Ignorant and Halfwit Ammunition Locker! « Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 09:19 AM »

We're all waiting for this years loonies /trolls to log on to MW to start things off here. (Where's AK400 and will he come back? Hope not)
I get really riled especially when the Brits put Andy down, I shouldn't fall into the trap of defending him, but I can help it either. 

Statistics = evidence and proof, this ought to prevail, but I'm afraid these morons wont be persuaded.

As Albert Einstein said, 'It is harder to crack a prejucide than an atom'.

This will be an interesting thread.   thumb up Drchef.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: The Anti Troll, Ignorant and Halfwit Ammunition Locker! « Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 11:13 AM »

In terms of the figures, the stat I like to keep in mind is the one Mark Petchey mentioned during the USO last year. Andy is the best returner of all time on a hard court. Now, he qualified it a bit by saying that the figures go back to 1990, but when you consider some of the great returners in the game in that time, and the fact that Djokovic is still active and rated as the best returner in the game, that's pretty impressive.

Andy also mixes it with some of the all time greats in a lot of the stats. I'm sure one of you could dig some figures out.

The thing the trolls and idiots don't understand is one little word. Context. You have to look at what Andy has done in context.

I think the easy argument for a troll is to look at Federer, Nadal and Djokovic and then look down their nose at what Andy has done so far. We all know Federer has won 17 slams, blah, blah, blah, but it is a fact that he is six years older (almost) than Andy. You could argue quite successfully that when he started winning slams the competition  wasn't as strong as it is now. Would he have won all 17 if Andy, Djokovic and Nadal had been the same age as him? We don't know, but I do know what I think.

Nadal has dominated one surface really, the clay. That's impressive, of course it is,  but if you look at all his results through his career and took out all his clay titles, what are you left with? His major tally would suddenly come down to four for a start, which I know is still three more than Andy so far, but it puts things in a totally different light.

You could argue something similar for Djokovic. He won his first major, as we all know, in 2008. He didn't win another one until 2011, when he went bonkers and won three of the four. Again, he has held sway on one surface essentially, the hard courts.

What Andy has done is phenomenal, when you look at it in context. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all won their first slams over players who had also never won one. Andy has constantly faced the prospect of beating at least one multi-major winner, and usually two, to try to win the titles. Andy has had to come back from difficult losses to those top players, and far from being cowed by that, it has emboldened him. He's picked himself up again and again, repeatedly putting himself on the line, to try to get what he wants. That takes courage.

In another era, some would say, Andy would already be a multi-major winner. Well, that might be true. However, has Andy ever expressed a wish to have been playing in another era? I think the answer is no. Andy knows that playing in this era, with this competition, has made him a better player. I feel certain that him being around and competing at the top level has forced the others to stay on their toes as well.

Given that Andy doesn't come from a country where there are great tennis facilities, or any great interest in the sport beyond two or three weeks of the year, he has done, and is doing, so well. For me he is the model pro, always striving to be better, with a work ethic second to none. He is fiercely competitive, but he never displays arrogance or behaves in a way that denigrates the sport.

IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: The Anti Troll, Ignorant and Halfwit Ammunition Locker! « Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 12:31 PM »

I have long given up on my fellow Brits.  They are obsessed with something a very young man said in the past as a joke in reply to ribbing from another British tennis player.  I cannot stand the language that some use and their post are not removed.  Andy has achieved so much against the best possible players.  He is a late developer and we have all come across them.  My daughter who did nothing at school is now a highly qualified and respected vet in the USA.  I always knew she had it in her but did not develop until later.  Perhaps they would be happier if Andy behaved like some of the footballers as the people of the country are obsessed with football.

I totally agree with you Teejay.  Because of this he deserves to win many more and especially Wimbledon although I do not think they will stop this nonsense. If he does there will be some excuse eg.  he had an easy run to the final etc.   I admire Federer's tennis but abhor the man and his arrogance so surely his fans should appreciate Andy and his game instead of booing him at every opportunity.  Federer should have the grace to ask them not to.   Rant over and thank goodness for this thread.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: The Anti Troll, Ignorant and Halfwit Ammunition Locker! « Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 04:57 PM »

"......The thing the trolls and idiots don't understand is one little word. Context. You have to look at what Andy has done in context.
I think the easy argument for a troll is to look at Federer, Nadal and Djokovic and then look down their nose at what Andy has done so far. We all know Federer has won 17 slams, blah, blah, blah, but it is a fact that he is six years older (almost) than Andy. You could argue quite successfully that when he started winning slams the competition  wasn't as strong as it is now. Would he have won all 17 if Andy, Djokovic and Nadal had been the same age as him? We don't know, but I do know what I think.
... Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all won their first slams over players who had also never won one. Andy has constantly faced the prospect of beating at least one multi-major winner, and usually two, to try to win the titles. Andy has had to come back from difficult losses to those top players, and far from being cowed by that, it has emboldened him. He's picked himself up again and again, repeatedly putting himself on the line, to try to get what he wants. That takes courage."

clap
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: The Anti Troll, Ignorant and Halfwit Ammunition Locker! « Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 09:39 PM »

drc I'm afraid facts won't dent prejudice cf lashurst's Einstein quote.
The fact is that some people simply can't stand Andy and they'll hang on to that prejudice against him for dear life.  But as Jim 'sings' in Hey there Andy Murray it's their problem not Andy's. 
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: The Anti Troll, Ignorant and Halfwit Ammunition Locker! « Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 10:54 PM »

drc I'm afraid facts won't dent prejudice cf lashurst's Einstein quote.
The fact is that some people simply can't stand Andy and they'll hang on to that prejudice against him for dear life.  But as Jim 'sings' in Hey there Andy Murray it's their problem not Andy's.  
We ARE going to have our day, Ruthie and more to the point, so is Andy and all the people who love and worship him.
I cant wait to bask in the glory of it all, when his time comes. It will happen, so why not this year? He's been moving in the right direction for some time now and accelerating fast since Ivan joined his team.

What will the Andy-hater-morons say then? They'll think of something spiteful, of course, but they can just go to hell. ranting
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: The Anti Troll, Ignorant and Halfwit Ammunition Locker! « Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 11:03 PM »

Quite simply:-

Best British tennis player in the open era
Top ten player and consistently so before he was 20
Consistent top five player
Global sporting superstar
Multi millionaire
Smashed so many British records that I personally doubt anyone else will
Has fought, fought and fought some more despite adverse and unjust criticism
Thoroughly nice bloke, not changed despite his millions, remembers his roots, loves the sport and his family

At the end of the day the haters will hate despite having no reason to do so, their narrow minded , prejudiced and not worth the grief.
The supporters will support through thick and thin - come on Andy Murray!!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: The Anti Troll, Ignorant and Halfwit Ammunition Locker! « Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 11:17 PM »

Scot says as you say MM, haters are always going to hate.

Rather than defend Andy, I tend to say

Your post speaks volumes on the type of person you really are rather than tennis-your parents must be so proud!

Try to avoid the negativity though - you don't want to be sucked into the dark side hug
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »