Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Monday, Estimated time - 8:00pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  The Evolution of Andy's Game 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

The Evolution of Andy's Game

(Read 2624 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

The Evolution of Andy's Game « on: January 29, 2013, 01:40 PM »

We've watched Andy's game evolve over the years, and particularly since Lendl has joined his team. I see more aggression, less passivity (overall), and his forehand and first serve are becoming serious weapons.
He recently said "No-one comes into net anymore," but this was not the case in the  AO final with Novak Djokovic. Nole came to net several times, and it paid dividends for him. Andy has beautiful hands at net. Should he use them more?
Andy's speed is phenomenal and he is in incredible shape, but do you think he is becoming a little muscle-heavy whereas Novak is more lean and flexible?

He and Novak are the best defenders in the game, but he made some interesting comments in this article regarding this style of play.
What do you think?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/andy-murray-and-novak-djokovic-show-why-defence-is-the-best-form-of-attack/story-e6frfgao-1226563705416

Murray and Djokovic are running the show.

..But he also fears what is working now for Djokovic and himself may soon have its own shelf life as the challengers get bigger, stronger and more aggressive.

"Guys have had to adapt the way they play because of the conditions, the balls, the courts slowing down," Murray said.

"If you look at maybe not right at the top of the game, but guys like (John) Isner and (Milos) Raonic, you definitely need a massive weapon that can sort of take away the defensive play.

"You'll probably see more and more of that.

"The players certainly seem to be getting taller every year. There's obviously Isner, Raonic, (Jerzy) Janowicz, he's a big guy. That seems to be the way the game's changing a little bit.

"I'm obviously not going to grow, so I hope it doesn't change too much in the next few years."
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 01:52 PM »

"I'm obviously not going to grow, so I hope it doesn't change too much in the next few years."

lmao

He shouldnt worry too much about his height cuz he has got enough...and yeah about defense, it is vital in today's tennis.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 01:58 PM »

He's picked about the only three examples in the top 50.

They've spoken publicly about looking at reducing the points and coming into that, and I think there was evidence of that last week. The problem was the approach shot, not the volleying. Against Federer a fair few times he'd come in behind the wrong shot, or try and play a deep slice but not get enough on it and leave himself wide open to the pass.

His overhead is also relatively poor. He's generally ok at the net, although does occasionally need a couple of attempts to put it away. At the baseline though, he doesn't seem to be confident enough to just put it away - instead waiting for it to drop to waist height and hitting a passive forehand back into court. Obviously it doesn't happen that often in a match, as there aren't that many players capable of hitting a perfect defensive lob (only really Andy and Novak come to mind that are capable of doing it consistently).

I think it's definitely an area they'll focus on though and hopefully as the season wears on we'll see some noticeable improvements there.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 02:04 PM »

He recently said "No-one comes into net anymore," but this was not the case in the  AO final with Novak Djokovic. Nole came to net several times, and it paid dividends for him. Andy has beautiful hands at net. Should he use them more?

Yes,definitely.

I remember during the Olympics,he responded to some comment by a journalist that he was coming forward to the net more,and he said it was a consequence of playing mixed dubs with Laura.I was just glad he was doing it,no matter the reason!Really hope to see him do more of it in the future.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 02:13 PM »

I don't think Andy's backhand is as good as it was.    His forehand has got better at the expense of the backhand,    I think that's what happens for a time but it's progress and it's sensible to acknowledge that it's necessary to evolve.

IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 02:46 PM »

I don't think Andy's backhand is as good as it was.    His forehand has got better at the expense of the backhand,    I think that's what happens for a time but it's progress and it's sensible to acknowledge that it's necessary to evolve.

Nole has the same issue, he made more backhand errors and less backhand winners than his forehand, seems they really are twins
[ Last edit by The Gnome January 29, 2013, 02:53 PM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 06:15 PM »

I don't think Andy's backhand is as good as it was.    His forehand has got better at the expense of the backhand,    I think that's what happens for a time but it's progress and it's sensible to acknowledge that it's necessary to evolve.

Totally disagree, I don't think any part of his game has regressed. Look at the way he used it to dismantle Federer at the Olympics in particular.

Forehand and serve have improved, as has his mental strength and attitude. I wouldn't say anything has become worse.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 07:42 PM »

His second serve is his biggest weakness
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 09:52 PM »

His second serve has actually improved quite a bit. His stats throughout this tournament were quite decent (just over 50%). He is just prone to throwing up a few real tame ones for short periods at a time, probably to do with confidence. He's mixing it up far better now and placing them far better, although they are still a fair bit slower than most other guys' second serves.

Serve stats:

(Round - FSP - Points won behind first/second)

R1 - 73% in - 72%/50%
R2 - 58% in - 80%/66%
R3 - 68% in - 71%/38%
R4 - 62% in - 77%/58%
QF - 68% in - 80%/29%
SF - 64% in - 75%/63%
F - 60% in - 81%/46%

Totalling all the stats up it works out to:

FSP - 445/691 -> 64%
FS Points Won - 340/445 -> 76%
SS Points Won - 126/246 -> 51%

I would say his biggest weakness is his ability to lose focus when leading the match, but technically yes, second serve is still probably his biggest - well, probably only? - weakness.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 12:14 AM »

I still think Andy needs to be more aggresive and attack, rather than push push push until the opponent makes an error.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 10:09 AM »

He does attack..
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 10:12 AM »

Let's be honest, Andy's second serve isn't just bad, it's criminally bad. It's consistently down in the 70s and halfway up the service box. The only reason he wins just over 50% of the points on it is because his retrieving of the cannonball that comes back at him is so good.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 10:28 AM »

Yes, 2nd serve sucks.
Should use wonderful BHDL far more often naughty Best in the world.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 12:01 PM »

I still think Andy needs to be more aggresive and attack, rather than push push push until the opponent makes an error.

He attacks a lot nowadays. I feel that is more than enough.
I feel that he should learn how to finish a point, and win it. Many times, it looks as if he has the advantage during the rally but messes up in the end.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 01:33 PM »

He does attack..

I know he does, but not as much as I think he should..
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »