Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  The Evolution of Andy's Game 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

The Evolution of Andy's Game

(Read 2720 times)
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 06:01 PM »

yup i'll second that one....andy is more aggressive but still not aggressive enough... against both Fed and Djoko it was costing him valuable points.

Djoko came to the net more becoz his team knew murray would hang back and wait for a Djoko mistake....combined woth the fact djoko could see that andy was restricted in his movement due to some injuries.

Andy's game has definitely not regressed in any way....he is a better player than last year....problem for Andy is that Djoko hasnt sat back either...and is also a better player.

continual improvement is required for andy to reach no1 combined with his whole team working out a way to outfox Djoko's team...its not just a djoko v murray battle.
[ Last edit by ABF January 30, 2013, 06:12 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 06:31 PM »

Apparently Federer misses the good old passive Andy. He said he almost had to play a chess game against him to win a match.

Andy has a very mixed game right now; as in, he can swing either way. In any case, I don’t see him being aggressive all the time. He loves playing the chess game, tactician that he is, from time to time when and where he can afford it and that’s how I’d like him to be.

But against the likes of Djokovic, Ferrer, Nadal etc., he needs to be cautious but should have the aggressive tone overall. His serve, if it stays consistent and I believe it will, will be a major weapon against these players. Another point is, Andy might not have to play too much against these players – Ferrer is turning 31 this year (Andy definitely needs to be aggressive against him regardless), Nadal has too many mileage on his legs and Nole, I feel, won’t be able to dictate Andy at the same level going forward. They are already pretty even and it’s just a matter of time, Andy levels things up against him as far as the H2H goes.

Andy’s 1st serve will be the key to his success and not to mention, his return game. His forehand is picking up in rapid speed and his backhands are always a thing of beauty. His movement is on the same level as Nole and so his defensive mechanism. He then has slices, lobs, volleys etc. His mental strength is only on the rise and will continue to rise until it reaches its supreme level. On top of everything, he has the vast experience playing against great players of all time.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 06:38 PM »

Ironically Fed used to mention interviews that he does not see andy going anywhere in the game with the way he plays and needs to be more aggresive to become a slam champion, and now that andy has Fed doesn't like it, never have i seen Fed so flustered than he was in the AO semi final, the tension betwen them is obvious to anybody watching, even the commentators said that there was an air of menace inside the stadium.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 06:51 PM »

Apparently Federer misses the good old passive Andy. He said he almost had to play a chess game against him to win a match.

Im sure Fed does miss the old passive Andy ...he could beat him then.

I agree Andy should mix aggression with the chess....but i also think he is guilty of holding back when it was a better option to go for his shot...and that has cost him important points. I think the last Fed match showed that also ... as a tennis journo said after that match...Fed was given a 5 set thrashing by Andy. it really should have been 3 sets though.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 04:42 PM »

Im sure Fed does miss the old passive Andy ...he could beat him then.

I agree Andy should mix aggression with the chess....but i also think he is guilty of holding back when it was a better option to go for his shot...and that has cost him important points. I think the last Fed match showed that also ... as a tennis journo said after that match...Fed was given a 5 set thrashing by Andy. it really should have been 3 sets though.

Same thoughts. He could have finished it in 3 sets. At least 4, cuz he even had the upper hand to close the match.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 07:33 PM »

Same thoughts. He could have finished it in 3 sets. At least 4, cuz he even had the upper hand to close the match.

yeah exactly......and if he had finished that in 3 sets...i think the djoko match may have had a different winner.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 01:03 PM »

yeah exactly......and if he had finished that in 3 sets...i think the djoko match may have had a different winner.

Yup, unfortunately, it's all past now Smile
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 04:02 PM »

Yup, unfortunately, it's all past now Smile

yeah it is...... however ..moving forward...if Andy is looking for improvements that give a better chance of winning another slam and reaching No1 he has to start increasing the aggression and finishing off opponents in the latter stages of the tournos. Id say thats the main area where Djoko is better than Andy at the moment ...and it just cost him the OZ open i think.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 04:16 PM »

yeah it is...... however ..moving forward...if Andy is looking for improvements that give a better chance of winning another slam and reaching No1 he has to start increasing the aggression and finishing off opponents in the latter stages of the tournos. Id say thats the main area where Djoko is better than Andy at the moment ...and it just cost him the OZ open i think.

Don't really agree with that, in 2012 Nole failed to finish Andy off quickly and it took him 5 sets to do so and still won it Smile i don't think it's possible to "finish" off opponents quicker in the semis if you are talking about top 4 players, and remember Djoko had his tougher match against Stan in round 4, nothing can be taken for granted - the issue is the semi final opponent, if Andy gets Fed then that leaves Nole currently with Ferrer - this is where i feel the problem is at the moment, I want Rafa back if only because he will be a stronger top 4 player than Ferrer.

In the USO Fed got knocked out early so Andy did not have to deal with Fed and Nole back to back.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 04:51 PM »

Don't really agree with that, in 2012 Nole failed to finish Andy off quickly and it took him 5 sets to do so and still won it Smile i don't think it's possible to "finish" off opponents quicker in the semis if you are talking about top 4 players, and remember Djoko had his tougher match against Stan in round 4, nothing can be taken for granted - the issue is the semi final opponent, if Andy gets Fed then that leaves Nole currently with Ferrer - this is where i feel the problem is at the moment, I want Rafa back if only because he will be a stronger top 4 player than Ferrer.

In the USO Fed got knocked out early so Andy did not have to deal with Fed and Nole back to back.

I get your point....and  I agree in the sense that Djoko got the easier run to the final if you combine recovery time with opponent match up.
However , by both Andy's and Lendl's admission Andy couldve and shouldve done better on some big points in both semi and final...this shortening the matches.
I dont know how anyone who watched the Fed & Djoko matches couldnt feel during them that Andy was capable of ..and needed to ..play more aggressively at critical stages. Andy was not clinical against Fed the 2 sets that Fed won....if Andy had been clinical he would have won in 3 sets...thus being far fresher against Djoko i believe. Andy was beating Fed in most aspects and let a 3 set win become a 5 set win.

Its a fine line.....and I think Andy is such a great player...but if he has an area to improve thats it.... for me anyway.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 05:05 PM »

I am sorry I do not think that his lack of aggression in the Final was the main reason he lost.  It may have bben in the SF.  I have pulled tendons and how he played at all I cannot imagine and the with the blisters as well it was very difficult.  I feel taht if he had been able to go on the way he was Novak would have found it very difficult to get him.  I am sure that is why Nole's celebrations were more subdued than usual.

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 06:07 PM »

Ironically Fed used to mention interviews that he does not see andy going anywhere in the game with the way he plays and needs to be more aggresive to become a slam champion, and now that andy has Fed doesn't like it, never have i seen Fed so flustered than he was in the AO semi final, the tension betwen them is obvious to anybody watching, even the commentators said that there was an air of menace inside the stadium.

To be honest, there's no pleasing Federer and I don't think anyone should even try. Because if he knew any better, he would have sorted Nadal out a long time ago.

I’d probably undermining some of the other matches but for me Andy vs Federer semi was the best match of 2013 so far and that’s because not only it was played by two top players but also, it had very high quality all throughout; not to mention, appropriate amount of drama, tension, twists and turns.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean February 01, 2013, 06:12 PM ] IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 07:38 PM »

I am sorry I do not think that his lack of aggression in the Final was the main reason he lost.  It may have bben in the SF.  I have pulled tendons and how he played at all I cannot imagine and the with the blisters as well it was very difficult.  I feel taht if he had been able to go on the way he was Novak would have found it very difficult to get him.  I am sure that is why Nole's celebrations were more subdued than usual.

actually ive made that point in previous posts also ....injuries were 100% a contributing factor in the final....Novak was struggling to find a way past Andy until the injuries got worse. It was more the case that Andy's level dropped rather than Novak picked up a level.

However injuries aside i still believe Novak was more aggressive in his tennis than Andy and that contributed to Andy's loss also.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 08:13 PM »

One of the things I've enjoyed watching evolve is his change in attitude towards himself.

When I watch him now, he looks like he believes he truly belongs.

IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: The Evolution of Andy's Game « Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 04:40 AM »

One of the things I've enjoyed watching evolve is his change in attitude towards himself.

When I watch him now, he looks like he believes he truly belongs.

Good posting!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »