Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  The Murray and Djokovic Era? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Reply
Author

The Murray and Djokovic Era?

(Read 5130 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

The Murray and Djokovic Era? « on: October 15, 2012, 05:14 PM »

They've played each other a total of 16 times, but this year the Djokovic and Murray rivalry has really become the talking point of Tennis. I for one can't wait to see my two favourite players on the tour battle it out between each other. What are your thoughts on the rivalry?

http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/10/nole-and-andy-show/39776/#.UHw002nuWkU

This article goes into good depth and I think the writer sums things up well.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 05:40 PM »

Good article here as well (courtesy of flowerpower in the News thread):

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/tennis/stand-by-for-the-changing-of-the-guard-in-tennis-hierarchy.19139101

You can never rule out Federer or Nadal (who I think will continue to dominate the clay the very least, if he can ever return to full fitness) but Murray certainly seems to have Federer's number lately. Djokovic on the other hand has suffered a few defeats against him lately. The next month will be very telling.

This line is excellent: "Together they turn the modern men’s game, and its traditional weapons, inside out. Rather than relying on their serves and forehands, they’re better known for their returns and backhands. They win not by so much by attacking, but by playing aggressive defense."
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter October 15, 2012, 05:45 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:18 PM »

Andole rocks Super
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:53 PM »

Yeah ...good article.

With Nadal struggling with injury ...it would appear these 2 are gonna be out on there own. The fascinating thing ....for me anyway...is how similar in style they are....they are even physically similar. I think its almost the ultimate in competition. So similar that it frequently comes down to a battle of will.

I think, if both bring there 'A' games Andy has a bit more variety than Novak. However, Novak's agility gets him retrieving shots no other player is capable of.

Hopefully they can both stay injury free for many years. That's my big worry for them both. The stress on their joints that their physical game causes. I can't see Nadal coming back for long without breaking down again....a sustained hard court season will inflame his knee again...either that he'll have to play at a level below his capabilty to stay on the court.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 07:59 PM »

I think Djokovic is slightly mentally stronger (his record at winning matches from match point down is superhuman) but other than that, there's so little in it. As you say ABF, Murray has more variety (his backhand slice is a thing of beauty) but Djokovic slightly better retriever.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 08:27 PM »

I think Djokovic is slightly mentally stronger (his record at winning matches from match point down is superhuman) but other than that, there's so little in it. As you say ABF, Murray has more variety (his backhand slice is a thing of beauty) but Djokovic slightly better retriever.
Any world number 1 has to be stronger.  Hope it's Andy's turn next. 
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 08:45 PM »

Yeah... I agree.... also Elly has a fair point. I think the more success, and experience that goes with that, the the easier it is for the mind to adjust to challenging situations. Andy is definately getting there tho... he is very close to the complete player... in terms of mental, physical & ability. I still believe there is a few percent improvements Andy can make to his game that ...if he acheives that...will be No.1

Everyone used to rave about Fed's Backhand...which is very classical and good on the eye....but Murray's ..i believe is a level above...because of its effectiveness...and if he can improve his forehand little more...thats quite the arsenal Andy will have.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 09:01 PM »

Also ...did anyone else feel that Andy was too passive in some of his play against Novak?... I thought in some of the rallies Andy had many opportunities to attack but chose to wait for Djoko to make a mistake. Sometimes it came off....but sometimes it didnt...and for that to be the main tactic ..I felt Andy should have switched it up more. I get the need to play 'smart' tennis.... there are also times tho...when trying to dominate the opponent you need to be aggressive also... just felt Andy didn't do that enough and it contributed to his loss. I felt they both played great tennis at times tho.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 09:02 PM »

I think Andy is close to peaking, a few more tweaks to his game and his transformation to a complete player will be erm...... Complete  cmon yeah

I think 2013 will be his year, his serve is becoming a true weapon, seeing his placement against Fed was awe inspiring he just needs it to be consistent. He's already one of the greatest returners ever and his fitness is never in any doubt, I think he is the only player around currently who can put djoker under pressure and vice versa as their synchronized racquet smashing yesterday proved
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 09:50 PM »

Such an exciting prospect but bad for our collective blood pressure. Their matches are so ferocious and evenly balanced now.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era?http://www.murraysworld.com/ « Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 10:22 PM »

These 2 players are outstanding and i like them both very much the next 2 years are gonna be frikkin awesome folks. Truly sexy tennis!

Fedal wave
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 10:26 PM »

These 2 players are outstanding and i like them both very much the next 2 years are gonna be frikkin awesome folks. Truly sexy tennis!

Fedal wave
I'm not sure I can take it - however, I'll try
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 11:42 PM »

Yeah... I agree.... also Elly has a fair point. I think the more success, and experience that goes with that, the the easier it is for the mind to adjust to challenging situations. Andy is definately getting there tho... he is very close to the complete player... in terms of mental, physical & ability. I still believe there is a few percent improvements Andy can make to his game that ...if he acheives that...will be No.1

Everyone used to rave about Fed's Backhand...which is very classical and good on the eye....but Murray's ..i believe is a level above...because of its effectiveness...and if he can improve his forehand little more...thats quite the arsenal Andy will have.
Agree with all of that. Murray's backhand is so powerful, so consistent, so accurate.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 04:39 AM »

In all my years of following Andy, I might never have had the b*lls to stick my t*ts out and predict any of his matches... but by gawd, I've always known this day would come.

My first avatar sig on here was: "THE FUTURE IS MURRAY/DJOKOVIC!"

It's a beautiful thing, and let the games begin.....
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 04:46 AM »

This reporter got their personalities bang-on.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/8509981/tennis-budding-rivalry-murray-djokovic

Djokovic is a people person with a natural flair to engage friends and fans. He likes an audience and has always enjoyed bantering and showing off to the crowd...
During these couple of weeks in China, Djokovic became the darling of the crowd after taking the time to learn how to write his name in Chinese characters. In Beijing two weeks ago, he happily celebrated his China Open title on-court by dancing with ball kids to "Gangnam Style," the song by South Korean rapper Psy that's gone viral.

By contrast, Murray is a more introverted soul who seems less aware of the goings-on around him and less self-assured of his place in the tennis walk of fame. He likes to be insulated by his inner circle. And while he's someone who knows the pressure of an entire country watching to see if you'll succeed, he doesn't necessarily seem comfortable in the public eye.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »