Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  The Murray and Djokovic Era? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Reply
Author

The Murray and Djokovic Era?

(Read 5283 times)
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 08:29 AM »

This reporter got their personalities bang-on.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/8509981/tennis-budding-rivalry-murray-djokovic

Djokovic is a people person with a natural flair to engage friends and fans. He likes an audience and has always enjoyed bantering and showing off to the crowd...
During these couple of weeks in China, Djokovic became the darling of the crowd after taking the time to learn how to write his name in Chinese characters. In Beijing two weeks ago, he happily celebrated his China Open title on-court by dancing with ball kids to "Gangnam Style," the song by South Korean rapper Psy that's gone viral.

By contrast, Murray is a more introverted soul who seems less aware of the goings-on around him and less self-assured of his place in the tennis walk of fame. He likes to be insulated by his inner circle. And while he's someone who knows the pressure of an entire country watching to see if you'll succeed, he doesn't necessarily seem comfortable in the public eye.

Totally agree with this. Nole loves the limelight, Andy is plain old fashioned shy.
What a boring world it would be if we were all the same. yay
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 03:07 PM »

As much as I like Andy's kind of style, I would love to see him open up a bit more...but forget it, Andy is perfect the way he is. wub
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 03:10 PM »

I think we should also take into account our concerns over Andy's motivation after his US open win, i think judging by the last 2 tournaments especially Shanghai that we can all rest easy, he seems to be just as motivated to win as much now as he was before Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 04:08 PM »

Hi All,

It feels to me like it really is Andy and Novak's time to shine, and if so, I think it will be fascinating. They have such similar game styles that matches really do become battles of will or wars of attrition. It isn't like the Nadal/Federer period, where Nadal's 'in yer face' style contrasted with Federer's 'pretty' game. I think it's more subtle than that, because it all comes down to tiny margins. Of course, that means that contests between them are scary, but at least they are never dull lol. The question is whether my heart can take the strain nervous.

I do think the media will talk a lot about the difference in their personalities. I have to say, broadly speaking I like Djokovic. I do think he engages with people, does that side of things well, but I also think he is respectful to opponents - perhaps apart from one little blip, when he decided to have a medical time out just as a certain person was about to serve out his first major win. The jury is still out for me on that one. That said, I think Djokovic became much nicer during his period of success last year. Maybe he had a few insecurites that needed to be erased? I don't know.

I think Andy is just shy. I often get the feeling with Andy that if he could get away without doing all the media stuff that goes with the sport now, he would. I like Andy though, because it seems as if what you see is basically what you get. It seems to me that with Andy it is his tennis that does the talking. There's nothing wrong with that. I love his competitive spirit, that desire to fight. I love his game, I really do think he is the most entertaining player out there, because he has such variety and finesse. Add in his speed around the court and what seems like almost psychic anticipation and you have unmissable stuff.

The exciting thing is that they are both only 25. If they can both stay injury free for a few years they could dominate for some time to come.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 04:39 PM »

In all my years of following Andy, I might never have had the b*lls to stick my t*ts out and predict any of his matches... but by gawd, I've always known this day would come.

My first avatar sig on here was: "THE FUTURE IS MURRAY/DJOKOVIC!"
And you were right Linda. Smile

I read the article in The Herald and loved every word of it.  True, Andy has a little way to go, but then didn't we say that before he won Olympic gold and his first maiden Slam?

This reporter got their personalities bang-on.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/8509981/tennis-budding-rivalry-murray-djokovic

Djokovic is a people person with a natural flair to engage friends and fans. He likes an audience and has always enjoyed bantering and showing off to the crowd...
During these couple of weeks in China, Djokovic became the darling of the crowd after taking the time to learn how to write his name in Chinese characters. In Beijing two weeks ago, he happily celebrated his China Open title on-court by dancing with ball kids to "Gangnam Style," the song by South Korean rapper Psy that's gone viral.

By contrast, Murray is a more introverted soul who seems less aware of the goings-on around him and less self-assured of his place in the tennis walk of fame. He likes to be insulated by his inner circle. And while he's someone who knows the pressure of an entire country watching to see if you'll succeed, he doesn't necessarily seem comfortable in the public eye.

Agree with this 100% too, Djoko is a natural showman, but perhaps Andy's new-found belief in himself will enable him to feel more at ease in the limelight and more confident about his place in that tennis walk of fame.

I'm looking forward to many more battles between these two, although I will have a bed permanently reserved for me in the local CCU! nervous
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 04:39 PM »

I think ESPN are spot on re Nole and Andy's personalities, Nole is an extrovert character and can sometimes go overboard with his antics.  Andy is a shy individual which comes across as sullen to some people.  To me I prefer Andy to Nole, I like the way Andy always has a good word to say about the opposition (reminds me of Rafa) and is always mannerly towards those he meets.  I recall seeing him at Braehead after playing in the Davis Cup he stood and signed autographs for anyone who wanted one, he was there at least 45 minutes after the match finished and the arena was almost empty but Andy was still signing autographs and chatting to the youngsters.   In a word Andy is a 'nice' person and long may he remain that way, he is a credit to his mum and dad for the way they have brought him up.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 04:42 PM »

yay SO HAPPY! Nole-Andy, hurrah hurrah!!!
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 05:24 PM »

I think ESPN are spot on re Nole and Andy's personalities, Nole is an extrovert character and can sometimes go overboard with his antics.  Andy is a shy individual which comes across as sullen to some people.  To me I prefer Andy to Nole, I like the way Andy always has a good word to say about the opposition (reminds me of Rafa) and is always mannerly towards those he meets.  I recall seeing him at Braehead after playing in the Davis Cup he stood and signed autographs for anyone who wanted one, he was there at least 45 minutes after the match finished and the arena was almost empty but Andy was still signing autographs and chatting to the youngsters.   In a word Andy is a 'nice' person and long may he remain that way, he is a credit to his mum and dad for the way they have brought him up.

I agree Iris.    I like Nole - he's fun - but I would trust Andy more.     Besides Andy has had a lot more criticism from the media in his country than Nole has had to put up with and a lot less support in his home patch which probably makes him more introverted.    Andy is different and I like that and if some people have a problem with him I think they should change, not Andy.       
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 05:26 PM »

Andy is a shy guy ...and more cautious in his approach to people & attention, stubborn in what he believes is right....takes alot to upset him but piss him off and he'll take you down. I like his persona more ...but then I'm biased being a fellow earth sign. Nole the Gemini is Mr Centre of Attention... and extroverted....  intelligent but talks before he thinks alot. Having said that one of my best mates is a Gemini and we alotta laughs together.....to summize.. both likeable guys in different ways. Continued tennis greatness to follow from both....all the same ...Kick his ass Muzza!!
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 06:48 PM »

Totally agree with this. Nole loves the limelight, Andy is plain old fashioned shy.
What a boring world it would be if we were all the same. yay
Yes I don't think we will be seeing Andy on Dancing With The Stars.
IP Logged
Jayel
Junior

IT JUST GETS BETTER

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 07:09 PM »

Their tennis games are now so very similar -  tiny margins separate them in their matches. They are never boring that is for sure. Personality wise ,yes they are very different. As was said you can see Novak in Strictly Coom Dancing but it needs a mind jump of some magnitude to see Andy cavorting. He is what he is an introverted  but dedicated Scot. But yes the future is theirs, different as they are, but great within their era and they will make their mark in tennis history. For sure neither will be known for arrogance or smugness!!!
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 07:24 PM »

Hi all just the i would post this www.impresscoaching.co.uk makes for some intresting reading.Some of you may have allready read it but for those that havent then it maybe of intrest to you.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 09:21 PM »

Although I've been waiting for this and am thrilled, I think we're all in for some long and brutally physical matches ahead from these two.

Prepare to gird your loins, folks.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 10:02 PM »

For sure neither will be known for arrogance or smugness!!!

They will probably be known for smashing up their racquets.
IP Logged
Jayel
Junior

IT JUST GETS BETTER

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 11:09 PM »

Could be, but their image will be for real.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »