Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  The Murray and Djokovic Era? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Reply
Author

The Murray and Djokovic Era?

(Read 6494 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 11:46 PM »

Could be, but their image will be for real.

What do you mean?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 02:06 AM »

Hi all just the i would post this www.impresscoaching.co.uk makes for some intresting reading.Some of you may have allready read it but for those that havent then it maybe of intrest to you.
It is indeed interesting, so thanks for sharing.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 10:22 AM »

The fact is when a player smashes up his racquet it makes for great headlines. They showed both Joker and Andy smashing their racquets on the national news. Probably the same all over the world. Andy's wasn't as good an effort but still worth watching.

I wonder how the tennis authorities feel when they see their top 2 players just now engaging in such behaviour. Publically they will probably tut tut but privately they will love the publicity it gives to the sport. There is no such thing as bad publicity right?

Disappointingly Fed hasn't really embraced the smashing up the racquet culture as much as others. On the plus side at least he doesn't engage in the boring communal love-in practised by most of the top players nowadays.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 02:03 PM »

They've played each other a total of 16 times, but this year the Djokovic and Murray rivalry has really become the talking point of Tennis. I for one can't wait to see my two favourite players on the tour battle it out between each other. What are your thoughts on the rivalry?

http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/10/nole-and-andy-show/39776/#.UHw002nuWkU

This article goes into good depth and I think the writer sums things up well.

True! About Nole: He’s now won 10 times after saving match points.....Mentally very strong and will become stronger after this experience...
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 02:37 PM »

The fact is when a player smashes up his racquet it makes for great headlines. They showed both Joker and Andy smashing their racquets on the national news. Probably the same all over the world. Andy's wasn't as good an effort but still worth watching.

I wonder how the tennis authorities feel when they see their top 2 players just now engaging in such behaviour. Publically they will probably tut tut but privately they will love the publicity it gives to the sport. There is no such thing as bad publicity right?

Disappointingly Fed hasn't really embraced the smashing up the racquet culture as much as others. On the plus side at least he doesn't engage in the boring communal love-in practised by most of the top players nowadays.

Much as I have disagreed with many of your postings I have to confess I found your comment about Mr M needing to really work on his racket smashing technique to reach the highest levels very funny.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 04:43 PM »

Much as I have disagreed with many of your postings I have to confess I found your comment about Mr M needing to really work on his racket smashing technique to reach the highest levels very funny.
Yes I had a good laugh at that too.  I hereby declare that Djokovic was the winner though, but then he has a long history of smashing rackets so has presumably got the whole process fine-tuned by now, whereas I've rarely seen Andy do more than just throw his racket onto the court.

Anyway is this sort of behaviour really going to upset the tennis authorities?  To me it's considerably preferable to screaming abuse and threats at umpires and line judges, and the tantrums of Messrs McEnroe and Connors many years ago, whilst mildly amusing in their own way, left a great deal to be desired. 
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #36 on: October 17, 2012, 04:57 PM »

Really? You will need to then go back in time when Federer was rising up and growing as a player.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #37 on: October 17, 2012, 05:11 PM »

I like this rivalry but not as much as I thought I would. The matches are very long and can be draining. You need to be specially prepared for it. While there are some spectacular rallies to watch out for, others are just too identical as they play almost the same style. And Andy, very rarely makes an exception to come to the net more often against Nole, so this does not leave us with more variety. I would have really preferred a contrasting style between them. Maybe that's why I much prefer a match between Nadal vs. Federer or Federer vs Andy or Nole vs Federer but not Nole/Andy or Nadal/Andy or Nadal/Nole etc. Not only I am not cut for longer matches like these ones but also, I just don’t think it’s good for either Andy or Nole. If they face too many times during a year, then they are likely to burn out at year end and their career will be shortened too. So basically I have very mixed feelings about this rivalry, unfortunately.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #38 on: October 17, 2012, 05:12 PM »

Having been given the number ot times Nole has won matches on saving match point do we know how many times Andy has done it?

I believe Federer was a bit of a hothead when he was younger.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #39 on: October 17, 2012, 05:16 PM »

Anyway is this sort of behaviour really going to upset the tennis authorities?  To me it's considerably preferable to screaming abuse and threats at umpires and line judges, and the tantrums of Messrs McEnroe and Connors many years ago, whilst mildly amusing in their own way, left a great deal to be desired. 

Hi Aileen and all,

I agree. The thing is, I think people have become terribly romantic about the past. I can remember John McEnroe when he was playing, at least late in his career. I remember a lot of debate and discussion about whether or not he was a bad influence, whether or not he was a good representation of the sport. Nowadays he's mellowed a bit, and the past is looked upon as if it was all funny, all a bit of a laugh, and that John himself just had 'character'.

Personally I'd rather a racquet get smashed than a player stands and rants at the umpire for ages. At least with smashing a racquet all that pent up frustration is out there and gone. The key is whether or not the player then gets a grip of himself and moves on. In general I think Andy now gets a grip quicker when he does lose his rag. In any case, at the moment I'm glad if he shows frustration if he feels he isn't playing as he wants. It shows that the USO win isn't enough, that he still wants to be better, to be competitive.

The trouble now, compared to the past, is that there is technology on the courts. In the past, say in McEnroe's day, frustration could be vented at a dodgy call, because it was all done by the human eye. Now, thanks to hawkeye, all that is pretty much gone in effect. So players have lost a means of getting rid of frustration. It's understandable that the racquet ends up taking the brunt of it sometimes.

I have to say, as long as Andy is doing well I don't really care how many racquets he smashes. Sure, he doesn't quite have Djokovic's technique with it, but I can live with that lol. That said, Baghdatis topped the lot at the AO. I don't think I've ever seen anyone smash racquets like that!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #40 on: October 17, 2012, 05:40 PM »

Re: smashing racquets - personally I am not too fond of it and I don't think there's a good karma behind it either. After all, what you sow is what you reap. Does it show character? I don’t know but it does show that you don’t have firm control over your emotion. However, I do understand why someone does it. And also it’s easier said than done but there are players who probably have never done it. I don’t remember Sampras doing it even one time and he holds 14 Slams. Not that he didn’t have anger but that he learned to control it. Raonic, for instance, has a great attitude win or loss. Federer used to be wild but he too has learned to control his demons. I’d rather Andy does it too because not only it’s extremely benefitting but also, he’ll gain more fans and there’s something very cool about a person who can control his emotion under difficult circumstances. My respect for that person automatically goes up. But much more importantly, I absolutely loath abusing objects that we only use to help us. There’s something very disturbing about it and I really, really wish Andy would cut it all out going forward. Not only that, I’d like him to stop berate himself when things become difficult for him. It will happen eventually. In fact, having control over oneself gives one a lot of confidence and Andy being in an individual competitive sports like tennis, he'll need all of it. Laver, Borg, Sampras, Federer are all great examples.
IP Logged
Jayel
Junior

IT JUST GETS BETTER

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #41 on: October 17, 2012, 07:08 PM »

What do you mean?

I meant that there was little sign of PR coaching no sign of hiding high emotion, nothing offensive to the current form duo!!!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #42 on: October 17, 2012, 08:41 PM »

Raonic, for instance, has a great attitude win or loss.
I agree that Raonic has a great attitude about losing,but on the other hand,his attitude off-court could sometimes use a little work.It's grand for the most part,but there have been times when I've thought he hasn't been that respectful of his opponents,and in that respect I think a lot of people could learn from Andy's attitude-he's always very respectful of people he's facing,or might be facing-or has faced,win or lose.There is,of course,a fine line between being respectful,and then being too respectful and not believing you have a chance against them,which Andy has himself said-you do need to walk out onto the court believing you can win-but still,I think Raonic-and not just him-could do with taking a page out of Andy's book in that respect,and I do think,when people-especially in the press-talk about Andy's attitude to things,it's an aspect-or maybe a character trait-he doesn't get enough credit for.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #43 on: October 17, 2012, 08:57 PM »

Interesting reading views on character & emotion. IMO I would not watch sport if I couldnt see raw emotion....whats the point...It would be like watching robots play sport. A complete yawnfest. I wouldnt think it possible to reach the pinnacle of any sport and not have significant character... I enjoy watching Andy partly because he does show emotion on the court....and obviously becoz of his ability too. I dont thinks thats a weakness i think its a release of 'will to win' ...and I enjoy watching people with that quality...
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: The Murray and Djokovic Era? « Reply #44 on: October 17, 2012, 09:07 PM »

Very true,ABF,his will to win and his passion are so entwined within each other-it's part of what makes Andy Andy,and it's part of what has gotten him to where he is today.And nobody could ever accuse him of being an on-court robot!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »