Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Today, 12:00 Midnight BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  The Murray-O-Meter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 Go Down Reply
Author

The Murray-O-Meter

(Read 17137 times)
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: The Murray-O-Meter « Reply #210 on: September 04, 2008, 06:43 PM »

Clydey - you are the pedant's pedant!  And I like it Very Happy

I do try Very Happy
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

Re: The Murray-O-Meter « Reply #211 on: September 05, 2008, 09:29 PM »

Pity. I would bet the 2008 US Open (It's the Slam I think Andy has the best chance at).

Wimbledon and Roland Garros??? Nah, cant see it, too much variety and depth in the S. American and Mediterranean clay courters. Wimbledon will be increasingly difficult as they try and plant different grass and different pressured balls to slow the courts down in uniformity with the rest of the tournies.

blink My prediction 2 years go, from page 1 of this thread.

Is there any hope I may be right???

IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: The Murray-O-Meter « Reply #212 on: September 05, 2008, 09:30 PM »

That was a stab in the dark. Wink

We'll find out in the SF if he's ready to step it up and become a Slam winner.  w00t
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

Re: The Murray-O-Meter « Reply #213 on: September 05, 2008, 09:31 PM »

That was a stab in the dark. Wink

We'll find out in the SF if he's ready to step it up and become a Slam winner.  w00t

Humph! No it wasn't, it was an informed, measured opinion. Wink :p
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Murray-O-Meter « Reply #214 on: September 07, 2008, 11:17 PM »

Damn you Chris!!! If I just held out for one more tournament!!!
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: The Murray-O-Meter « Reply #215 on: September 07, 2008, 11:49 PM »

Did anyone? I'd like him to post a wee look at what it would say if anyone had.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: The Murray-O-Meter « Reply #216 on: September 13, 2012, 05:14 PM »

I can't believe we actually put money on Andy winning a slam back in those years, we were such losers!

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Murray-O-Meter « Reply #217 on: September 13, 2012, 05:18 PM »

Pity. I would bet the 2008 US Open (It's the Slam I think Andy has the best chance at).

Wimbledon and Roland Garros??? Nah, cant see it, too much variety and depth in the S. American and Mediterranean clay courters. Wimbledon will be increasingly difficult as they try and plant different grass and different pressured balls to slow the courts down in uniformity with the rest of the tournies.

But you haven't accounted for The 2008 US Open and I'm a complete non-gambler (never bought a lottery ticket even ) so it doesn't matter  Wink

Surprised

clap

What a call this was.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: The Murray-O-Meter « Reply #218 on: September 14, 2012, 01:35 AM »

Was actually just thinking about this thread last night and wanted to dig it up myself. On the first page I said Murrray would do well to have half the career Henman had. lol
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Murray-O-Meter « Reply #219 on: September 14, 2012, 02:29 AM »

Was actually just thinking about this thread last night and wanted to dig it up myself. On the first page I said Murrray would do well to have half the career Henman had. lol
I've just been reading that page and it makes me appreciate what Murray has achieved even more. To think back then people were wondering how high he could go and you yourself were speculating how difficult it would be to get to the top.

And yet not only has he comfortably surpassed the likes of Monfils, Gasquet and Baghdatis, but he's in a league with three of the greatest player to play the game, worlds above those guys who had started their careers so much brighter yet peaked so much earlier.

It's also amazing how many young players there were breaking through at that time. Nadal and Djokovic winning Slams by the age of 20, Murray reaching a final and breaking the top 5 at 21, Tsonga, Gasquet, Monfils, Cilic, Berdych all around the top 20 from such a young age. Del Potro winning a slam at 20. Now all these people make up the top 15 (bar Monfils who is injured) whilst the rest of the top 100 is filled with weaker players from the same age bracket or players peaking in their late 20's, with just a handful of young 20's and two teenagers (are Harrison and Tomic still teenagers?).

You just wonder who the next guy is that's the going to break through and compete with the current guys at the top of the game, because not one player is out there who has achieved anywhere near what even Monfils or Baghdatis achievedin their teens, let alone Murray, Djokovic and Nadal.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: The Murray-O-Meter « Reply #220 on: September 14, 2012, 02:57 AM »

Just looking back at the first couple of pages, I got myself into a little trouble commenting about the British girl Jade Curtis who I saw get thrashed in the juniors at the Aus Open (I was despairing at how long it had been since we had a decent British woman player). Out of interest, 6 and a half years on has anybody heard of her?
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 September 14, 2012, 03:01 AM ] IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: The Murray-O-Meter « Reply #221 on: September 14, 2012, 05:50 AM »

Just looking back at the first couple of pages, I got myself into a little trouble commenting about the British girl Jade Curtis who I saw get thrashed in the juniors at the Aus Open (I was despairing at how long it had been since we had a decent British woman player). Out of interest, 6 and a half years on has anybody heard of her?

Who?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Murray-O-Meter « Reply #222 on: September 14, 2012, 11:16 AM »

Surprised

clap

What a call this was.

Really? Thought it was general consensus amongst the pundits that US Open was his best chance.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Murray-O-Meter « Reply #223 on: September 14, 2012, 01:02 PM »

Really? Thought it was general consensus amongst the pundits that US Open was his best chance.
To pick a specific tournament and year, when Murray was nowhere near that level, two years in advance. I think that's pretty impressive myself.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The Murray-O-Meter « Reply #224 on: September 14, 2012, 01:04 PM »

http://www.wtatennis.com/player/jade-curtis_2257889_11481

It's great how far British has tennis has improved since 2006. We now have a Grand Slam champion on the men's side, with two of the more promising young players on the women's circuit, one of them far and away the highest ranked teenager on the entire tour.

Now we just need a few more British players to break the top 100.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »