Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  The next 'Up and Coming Players' on the ATP Tour 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

The next 'Up and Coming Players' on the ATP Tour

(Read 4134 times)
dex
Futures Level

The next 'Up and Coming Players' on the ATP Tour « on: April 05, 2013, 11:18 AM »

Often referred to as the best up and coming players on the ATP Tour since the arrival of Murray/Djokovic. Milos Raonic and his contemporary Bernard Tomic have yet to prove they are in the same class as the above.

Tomic who turned pro in 2008 could be quickly dismissed from this group with 1 title and a career high of 27 in the ATP rankings, currently languishing at 43 after 5 years on the pro circuit. By this time, Murray and Djokovic were already fixed in the top 5.  Even taking age as a measure, Tomic is still only 20 years old, Murray and Djokovic had broken into the top ten. Bernard Tomic who shows flashes of brilliance at times on the court can also suddenly ‘crash and burn’ mid match, as happened against Andy at the Miami Masters this year. He has to get his priorities sorted, dump his dad who can be a bad influence on his game and get a top level coach, or he will never get into the top 20!

Milos Raonic at 22 years the current ATP number 16 and career high of 13 is only three years behind Murray/Djokovic. Again he has to up his game to be compared to the above. Just look at the stats: - Raonic has 4 titles all of them 250s, he has been in another 3 finals one of them a 500.  By comparison at this stage (on the ATP pro circuit for 5years) Andy already held 14 titles including 4 ATP Masters.  In addition he had been in 5 other finals, one of which was the US Open, a Grand Slam!  Never the less Raonic by contrast to Tomic has made steady progress winning at least one title each year since 2010. He has the big serve, but will need more than that to get to the top table.
I look forward to your comments...
IP Logged
Bailey
Satellite Level

Come on Andy!!!!

Re: The next 'Up and Coming Players' on the ATP Tour « Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 12:37 PM »

You forgot Grigor Dimitrov, Kei Nishikori and Ernie!
IP Logged
Bailey
Satellite Level

Come on Andy!!!!

Re: The next 'Up and Coming Players' on the ATP Tour « Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 12:39 PM »

Tomug is never going to improve unless he changes his attitude. His attitude was terrible in the 2nd set against Gasquet in IW and also the Andy match in Miami.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: The next 'Up and Coming Players' on the ATP Tour « Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 12:42 PM »

You forgot Grigor Dimitrov, Kei Nishikori and Ernie!

And Janowicz.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: The next 'Up and Coming Players' on the ATP Tour « Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 12:45 PM »

Why is this thread there in 'Andy Talk'?
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: The next 'Up and Coming Players' on the ATP Tour « Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 02:32 PM »

Why is this thread there in 'Andy Talk'?
  Because Andy Talk is the only section I ever look at. I did not know there maybe a more appropriate section. However, I'm doing a comparison with Andy's performance at the same stage of their careers so it can fit into Andy Talk. Finally any entry in the forum should be to generate discussion, just as we are doing here.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: The next 'Up and Coming Players' on the ATP Tour « Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 02:35 PM »

Because Andy Talk is the only section I ever look at. I did not know there maybe a more appropriate section. However, I'm doing a comparison with Andy's performance at the same stage of their careers so it can fit into Andy Talk. Finally any entry in the forum should be to generate discussion, just as we are doing here.

It is better if it is there in the 'Tennis Talk' but then, it's ok.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: The next 'Up and Coming Players' on the ATP Tour « Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 03:50 PM »

Isn't there a thread started by gangsta called "Young Guns"?  Think
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: The next 'Up and Coming Players' on the ATP Tour « Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 03:58 PM »

Looking a bit further down, there might be some talents just bursting on to the scene. Kyrgios is first junior to win a Challenger title since Tomic, and seems to have a much better attitude. Quinzi and Zverev both hugely talented, 16yo Christian Garin took Chardy to three sets earlier this year (and beat a top 150 player in R1) and there's a deaf 14yo Korean kid who recently won his first ATP point. Quite astonishing to be ranked at that age.

I think these players will eventually start to flourish as they get to Andy's age and the current top guys start to become more beatable, but they'll never be on the same level.

Edit: Speaking of Christian Garin, currently trending on twitter, and I assume this is why:

Davis Cup‏@DavisCup14m
#ECUvCHI 16-year-old Christian Garin takes the first set for Chile 6-4 against Julio-Cesar Campozano! Can the youngster maintain this?

(Campozano an experienced clay courter ranked #222).
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter April 05, 2013, 05:12 PM ] IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: The next 'Up and Coming Players' on the ATP Tour « Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 03:58 PM »

Isn't there a thread started by gangsta called "Young Guns"?  Think

Yes there is.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: The next 'Up and Coming Players' on the ATP Tour « Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 03:59 PM »

And Janowicz.

:O you can't forget the Polish screamer. HOW MANY TIMES!!!
IP Logged
mina

Re: The next 'Up and Coming Players' on the ATP Tour « Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 07:37 PM »

i see tomic and raonic
IP Logged
mina

Re: The next 'Up and Coming Players' on the ATP Tour « Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 08:16 PM »

ernest gulbis and berankis
IP Logged
Moozza

Re: The next 'Up and Coming Players' on the ATP Tour « Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 05:34 PM »

Raonic is an overrated servebot. Dimitrov easily has the most potential from what I've seen, he needs to improve his mental strength massively though.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: The next 'Up and Coming Players' on the ATP Tour « Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 05:59 PM »

Raonic is an overrated servebot. Dimitrov easily has the most potential from what I've seen, he needs to improve his mental strength massively though.

Vintage Shaun.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »