Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  The Papers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Reply
Author Topic: The Papers  (Read 3059 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

The Papers « Reply #60 on: February 21, 2006, 11:39 PM »

That is a fair point, maybe a lot of young guys would feel insecure about a comment like that. However I think when you have something you're extremely good at that you are very respected for, little jokes like that probably mean nothing.

But for the average young guy trying to keep up a reputation to impress the girls, well, I'm sure it is a different story.
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

The Papers « Reply #61 on: February 21, 2006, 11:41 PM »

Quote from: "Mark"
That is a fair point, maybe a lot of young guys would feel insecure about a comment like that. However I think when you have something you're extremely good at that you are very respected for, little jokes like that probably mean nothing.

But for the average young guy trying to keep up a reputation to impress the girls, well, I'm sure it is a different story.

probably  dontknow
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

The Papers « Reply #62 on: February 22, 2006, 06:21 AM »

Very Happy Back on topic before Amy blows a gasket....I loved this little snippet in The Telegraph

But how will they be watching? With one eye on the screen and the other on tomorrow's French vocab test? With one eye on the screen and the other texting a friend who they saw on the school bus barely two hours earlier? In a simplistic jingoistic way where all that matters is if their particular country is successful? Or in an analytical fashion, dissecting the strengths and weaknesses of the sporting talent on display?
I only mention this because of the interview that Judy Murray gave the morning after the night her son went from being a much-touted, highly promising tennis player to suddenly becoming a serious contender on the world stage. Asked about his victory in the ATP tournament final against Lleyton Hewitt, she remarked that five years ago Andy would sit down and watch the Australian on television, and would then explain to her exactly how he would beat the former world No 1 when the opportunity arose. Plenty of sliced balls to bring Hewitt into the net and pass him down the line, because that's where he was most vulnerable.

And so it came to pass that on Sunday night in San Jose, the 13-year-old television watcher became Hewitt's 18-year-old executioner playing the very same tactic he'd settled on five years earlier, while deciding whether or not to do his chemistry homework.

Can you actually teach that kind of innate ability to read and understand a game, or does it come somehow, somewhere from within. Can you teach that kind of focus? That kind of desire. That inner belief that one day you will - not might - be on the other side of the court to Hewitt, teeing off with Woods, lining up alongside Lampard, be next out of the gates after Bode Miller. Maybe you can't. Maybe that's what makes Murray exceptional. But maybe you can. In which case I suggest you start tonight.

goodjob
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »