Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Time Violation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Time Violation  (Read 1718 times)
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Time Violation « Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 08:31 PM »

Great thinking 2Xtreme -just logged on cos I'd recorded the match and didn't want to know score. After Andy got that second time violation one of my first thoughts was this needs a MW thread - you beat me too it. Sky comms agreed with Andy's point that they need to check the receiver too, quite often they keep the server waiting - sometimes with good reason, eg. noise/ movement  in crowd. The comms were saying we could end up with a scenario that someone just serves to avoid the warning regardless of whether opponent is ready. Technically they'd be within the rules but it would hardly be seen as great sportsmanship. I like Laundry's idea.

I don't think there should be a set time violation rule. I think they should instead have a system like they do in a lot of live poker tournaments where a player can 'call the clock' on an opponent if they feel they are taking too long. Then if the ref agrees with the player that the opponent has been taking too long he starts a 12 second clock on them.
IP Logged
2xtreme
Junior

Re: Time Violation « Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 08:58 PM »

Just Doing my bit for the forum
IP Logged
2xtreme
Junior

Re: Time Violation « Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 08:59 PM »

but yeah i like "laundries" idea of a stopcock and i think it can be implemented
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Time Violation « Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 07:26 AM »

The enforcement of the time rule has reached farcical proportions. Needs to be sorted.
Lol at idea of a stop clock on court. The umpires can't control the crowds anyway. Remember when Andy was booed by the French crowd just as he was walking onto court? Bet they would've started counting down very very soon  Whistle
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Time Violation « Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 08:39 AM »

It is a bit of a joke if a player is obviously waiting for their opponent, or pauses because of crowd noise.  I suspect some umpires are keen to prove they are being even handed by being strict in the enforcement of the rule against top players, but if they are just looking at the clock and not what's going on around them, they might as well have a stop clock.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Time Violation « Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 10:08 AM »

it's not even as if Andy is one of the top players who persistently break the time rules - Rafa and Nole have been the real culprits who have been allowed to get away with it in the past.  It just needs some common sense, which seems to be sadly lacking at present.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Time Violation « Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 10:48 AM »

Fognini has had a warning for taking too long getting ready to receive v Berdych today
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Time Violation « Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 10:56 AM »

I timed both. 1st was over 28 seconds with Vasselin taking more than 10 seconds to get back to the base line after the winning shot. The 2nd was 27.6 seconds when Fergus called the violation. Andy was ready to serve but had to stop as Vasselin was adjusting his strings. A bit of common sense should be applied by the umpire and watch both players.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Time Violation « Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 12:08 PM »

Berdych had quite a rant at the umpire today,complaining that Fognini was keeping him waiting when he was ready to serve. Fognini did get a warning earlier apparently, but at deuce, 2-2 in 2nd set, Berdych was about to serve, looked up and saw Fognini sauntering back to the base line - he'd been to check a mark. He was still well within 25 seconds at this stage, although discussions then prolonged time between points to nearly a minute.

Berdy thought Fognini should get a time violation, and went on to lose the game. Angry exchanges with the umpire at changeover - umpire said players are alllowed to check marks, and that Berdy was ready to serve at 10 seconds, which was too fast! Berdy then proffered his raquet, told the umpire he might as well play for him, and just decide for himself what is allowed and what isn't.  "I don't have to be here, it's not about me"

Fognini went on to win the next three games, and the match.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Time Violation « Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 04:34 PM »

Fergus got it very wrong yesterday the second time. It was patently obvious that Andy wasn't going to serve when ERV was faffing about with his strings. If that happened the server would always serve an ace when the receiver isn't ready and the game would become a total farce.

The time rule isn't a new rule as such, but an enforcement of an old rule. The thing is though, officials are now being so over-zealous with the rule that any common sense has gone out of the window. It's like they are making a point of applying the rule all the time just to make a point, to make up for lost time or something silly.

I think they could be a bit more imaginative about making matches quicker, assuming that is really the object of enforcing the time rule. They could get rid of the warm up before the start of each match and insist that as players will have already warmed up (we all know they do) before they come out, they are ready to go straight away when they come out on court. At the first change of ends they could ensure the rule is applied where they are supposed to go straight round, not stop for drinks etc.

I think the time will come when there will have to be a clock on court. However, before that happens I think something will have to be done to ensure the application of the rule is fair. I think I heard (I'm not sure, there was a crying baby in my house at the time) Petch say some stats today that show servers are being penalised under the time rule more than returners. That can't be right surely, not if it is the returner slowing down the play.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Time Violation « Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 04:43 PM »

Berdych had quite a rant at the umpire today,complaining that Fognini was keeping him waiting when he was ready to serve. Fognini did get a warning earlier apparently, but at deuce, 2-2 in 2nd set, Berdych was about to serve, looked up and saw Fognini sauntering back to the base line - he'd been to check a mark. He was still well within 25 seconds at this stage, although discussions then prolonged time between points to nearly a minute.

Berdy thought Fognini should get a time violation, and went on to lose the game. Angry exchanges with the umpire at changeover - umpire said players are alllowed to check marks, and that Berdy was ready to serve at 10 seconds, which was too fast! Berdy then proffered his raquet, told the umpire he might as well play for him, and just decide for himself what is allowed and what isn't.  "I don't have to be here, it's not about me"

Fognini went on to win the next three games, and the match.
Berdych is such a tool.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Time Violation « Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 04:57 PM »

In case anyone missed it yesterday. This was Andy's time violation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=el6zj6Q8A7M

IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: Time Violation « Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 04:59 PM »

In case anyone missed it yesterday. This was Andy's time violation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=el6zj6Q8A7M

Missed it so thanks for that, Linda. Smile
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Time Violation « Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 05:27 PM »

I timed both. 1st was over 28 seconds with Vasselin taking more than 10 seconds to get back to the base line after the winning shot. The 2nd was 27.6 seconds when Fergus called the violation. Andy was ready to serve but had to stop as Vasselin was adjusting his strings. A bit of common sense should be applied by the umpire and watch both players.

I always thought that tennis rules state that the play goes at the pace of the server and it was incumbent on the receiver to be ready.   I don't know where I got that idea but we played that way when I was young.    Must have made up our own rules.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Time Violation « Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 05:40 PM »

I always thought that tennis rules state that the play goes at the pace of the server and it was incumbent on the receiver to be ready.   I don't know where I got that idea but we played that way when I was young.    Must have made up our own rules.

No, you didn't. Play does go at the pace of the server, and it is up to the receiver to be ready. Mark Petchey made that point yesterday in commentary, so you're absolutely right.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »