Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Time Violation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Reply
Author

Time Violation

(Read 2009 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Time Violation « Reply #30 on: April 20, 2013, 10:17 AM »

I like the rule, the 25 seconds, but I think umpires need to use their common sense.

They should allow for extra after a long rally, and also be vigilant of any thing that could make the server take longer than 25 seconds (ie off putting things like Nadal buttpicking or crowd moving).
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Time Violation « Reply #31 on: April 20, 2013, 01:45 PM »

Exactly that^. Basic common sense needs to prevail. The umpires need to be objective rather than just sticking blindly to the rule.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Time Violation « Reply #32 on: April 20, 2013, 01:54 PM »

Remember this? Wonder how the officials would deal with this nowadays. lol

IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Time Violation « Reply #33 on: April 20, 2013, 02:30 PM »

Rule should stay, for sure, but needs working on a little bit. As this is the first season using it, I feel umpires and players are still getting used to the changes.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Time Violation « Reply #34 on: April 20, 2013, 03:43 PM »

Watching Rafa today he still goes through his ritual before every serve. Are players being timed from the minute they start their ritual or just when they start to bounce the ball. It is very difficult, I think it should be at the very beginning before they start bouncing the ball. If so how long is Rafa taking between each serve ?I think it should be timed from the start, when Rafa tucks his hair in and starts to pull his trousers not just bouncing the ball and then serves. This would be fair some players just bounce the ball and serve. Also the referee gave Andy a time warning, his opponent was fiddling with his strings whilst Andy was preparing to serve. That is why he stopped and was given a warning about time wasting which was out of order. If this happens again the server should still serve weather the receiver is ready or not.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Time Violation « Reply #35 on: April 20, 2013, 05:34 PM »

LLB, I'd love to see that tee hee.....It would cause many shock waves, but by heck the receivers would soon get their acts together Whistle
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Time Violation « Reply #36 on: April 20, 2013, 06:54 PM »

Yes BBH Andy was Angry and complained to the referee. In future he should serve to the receiver ready or not I am sure Ivan would approve as he used to hit balls straight at opponents.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Time Violation « Reply #37 on: April 21, 2013, 10:29 AM »

Watching Rafa today he still goes through his ritual before every serve. Are players being timed from the minute they start their ritual or just when they start to bounce the ball.
I think it's supposed to be as soon as the previous point is finished.  There is a little confusion as to exactly when that is, because you could say it's when the ball goes out of play, but I think it's officially when the umpire calls the score.  So if there is a challenge, that slows things down, and it looks like some challenges are just an excuse for a breather.

Some of the tv companies are timing the gaps, and there was the issue in Miami where a time violation was given, but the commentators had timed it as being just 22 seconds.  These things need to be resolved.

I don't see any benefit in skipping the on court warm-up.  I think that's important for the organisers and tv companies, not just the players.  Between matches, the crowd will nip to the toilet and for a drink etc, so they need something to encourage people to get back into the stadium in advance of the actual start.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Time Violation « Reply #38 on: April 21, 2013, 10:46 AM »

As I said at IW Rafa was taking anything up to 45 seconds between points and nothing was said.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Time Violation « Reply #39 on: April 21, 2013, 11:26 AM »

I thought this time violation, would have put an end to Rafa picking his bum, but he still has time, or does he!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Time Violation « Reply #40 on: April 23, 2013, 03:56 PM »

I think the rule should be changed:

30 seconds in between points up from 25 seconds

40 seconds in between points if a rally lasts longer than 20 shots

40 seconds in between points if a single game has gone past 5 minutes in length.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Time Violation « Reply #41 on: April 23, 2013, 04:12 PM »

I think it's supposed to be as soon as the previous point is finished.  There is a little confusion as to exactly when that is, because you could say it's when the ball goes out of play, but I think it's officially when the umpire calls the score.  So if there is a challenge, that slows things down, and it looks like some challenges are just an excuse for a breather.

Some of the tv companies are timing the gaps, and there was the issue in Miami where a time violation was given, but the commentators had timed it as being just 22 seconds.  These things need to be resolved.

I don't see any benefit in skipping the on court warm-up.  I think that's important for the organisers and tv companies, not just the players.  Between matches, the crowd will nip to the toilet and for a drink etc, so they need something to encourage people to get back into the stadium in advance of the actual start.

I always thought the point ended when the ball had bounced twice.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Time Violation « Reply #42 on: April 25, 2013, 05:27 PM »

Its an appropriate ruling ...but its very badly managed.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Time Violation « Reply #43 on: April 25, 2013, 06:50 PM »

Its an appropriate ruling ...but its very badly managed.
Yep, they,re tring to tick all the boxes,tock the tock but still not getting their timing right.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »