Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Tokyo 2012 SF: Murray vs Raonic - Sat 06 Oct 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Murray vs Raonic: Predictions
Murray in 2 - 11 (36.7%)
Murray in 3 - 17 (56.7%)
Raonic in 2 - 0 (0%)
Raonic in 3 - 2 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 30

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 46 Go Down Reply
Author

Tokyo 2012 SF: Murray vs Raonic - Sat 06 Oct

(Read 13075 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Tokyo 2012 SF: Murray vs Raonic - Sat 06 Oct « Reply #45 on: October 05, 2012, 10:07 PM »

Isner is awful. Raonic isn't complete yet, but out of the young stars breaking through I'd put money on him being the first of them to win a GS, him or Kei.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Tokyo 2012 SF: Murray vs Raonic - Sat 06 Oct « Reply #46 on: October 05, 2012, 10:08 PM »

But look at their performances. Isner destroyed Federer on the clay and then beat Djokovic in Indian Wells to reach the final. Raonic hasn't come close to any performances like that. Isner has a bigger serve, a better return and is far more consistent. In my opinion, of course, but his results back that up.

yeah .. fair enough. Results can be seen as simply stats sometimes tho... they dont tell the whole story. In the case of Andy, he was judged by many neutrals on the bases of his loses in slam finals against the big boys. How many people on this site believed Andy was more talented than those results indicated? I'd guess many. Did Andy eventually prove the doubters & their slam results wrong ....Yup
That aside , I respect why you believe Isner to be better than Raonic...... I just disagree based on what i've seen... style of play etc. I think you are right in saying Isner has a better return than Raonic.... but then id argue Raonic has a more agressive game than Isner with a far better forehand, slightly better movement and variation of shot making and tactical change. That said ... both players will peak as top10 unless they achieve a more complete style of tennis. Raonic being by far the younger of the 2 has more opportunity to make those improvements in his game.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Tokyo 2012 SF: Murray vs Raonic - Sat 06 Oct « Reply #47 on: October 05, 2012, 10:12 PM »

A great serve is indeed a weapon, but it's worthless if you don't have all the other shots that go with winning points.  If you look at Andy who is improving his serve all the time and then see his net game, his drop shots, his down the line forehands and so on, he is so much more dangerous.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Tokyo 2012 SF: Murray vs Raonic - Sat 06 Oct « Reply #48 on: October 05, 2012, 10:13 PM »

Isner is 27, Raonic is 21, it's obvious to me that Raonic is at a better level for his age than Isner, I mean 3 out of the top 4 are younger than Inser, all with Grand Slams to their name, whilst Isner is 27 and doing nothing to show that he could win a Grand Slam. Raonic has the opportunity to improve, and he will, not everyone comes along at the rate of guys like Federer and Nadal did, look at Murray he took a lot longer than those two, and I guess Djokovic did to an extent too. Raonic and Kei are the only two players out of the young up and comers that have done anything to show that they will do something in the future. I would put money on Raonic winning a Grand Slam within 5 years...
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Tokyo 2012 SF: Murray vs Raonic - Sat 06 Oct « Reply #49 on: October 05, 2012, 10:17 PM »

I hope I'll be able to go to bed early so I can wake up early again. Hopefully I should get tired earlier today since I took some time off my sleep last night. Looking towards tomorrow I've got a bad feeling about it unfortunately, I'm not sure it's going to be Andy's day.
The only gut feelings that count are Andys.  yes
Andy learned how to play Raonic last time, and although I wont predict an easy match I do think Andy will prevail.

His serve needs to be good, especially the 2nd serve, which Stan took advantage of today.
Three sets, probably then off for some of his favorite sushi  chef
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Tokyo 2012 SF: Murray vs Raonic - Sat 06 Oct « Reply #50 on: October 05, 2012, 10:20 PM »

Andy in 3.  6-4 4-6 7-6
Exactly.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Tokyo 2012 SF: Murray vs Raonic - Sat 06 Oct « Reply #51 on: October 05, 2012, 10:36 PM »

lmao  Brilliant!

Haven't watched any of the Tokyo matches thanks to a virus.  Don't think Raonic wil be feeling so cocky this time around but that'll make him be more on his guard and he's bound to have made some changes to his game.  Andy should do it, but I'm going for 3 sets.
Aileen, you are right about the cockyness. He shot his big mouth off last time, but te pup has learned, wont want to make a fool of himself twice.

He has something to prove and will be dangerous.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Tokyo 2012 SF: Murray vs Raonic - Sat 06 Oct « Reply #52 on: October 05, 2012, 10:46 PM »

Isner is 27, Raonic is 21, it's obvious to me that Raonic is at a better level for his age than Isner, I mean 3 out of the top 4 are younger than Inser, all with Grand Slams to their name, whilst Isner is 27 and doing nothing to show that he could win a Grand Slam. Raonic has the opportunity to improve, and he will, not everyone comes along at the rate of guys like Federer and Nadal did, look at Murray he took a lot longer than those two, and I guess Djokovic did to an extent too. Raonic and Kei are the only two players out of the young up and comers that have done anything to show that they will do something in the future. I would put money on Raonic winning a Grand Slam within 5 years...

Yeah.... got me thinking of Tomic too... he appears to lack attitude/motivation to be successful... has talent tho... I'd say the most raw talent of the young 'uns
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Tokyo 2012 SF: Murray vs Raonic - Sat 06 Oct « Reply #53 on: October 05, 2012, 10:48 PM »

Oh yeah, forgot about Tomic, I'd see he could have one within 5 years too. Those 3 (Kei, Raonic and Tomic) are really the only names that stick out to me in terms of new breakthrough talent tbh.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tokyo 2012 SF: Murray vs Raonic - Sat 06 Oct « Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 10:51 PM »

Oh yeah, forgot about Tomic, I'd see he could have one within 5 years too. Those 3 (Kei, Raonic and Tomic) are really the only names that stick out to me in terms of new breakthrough talent tbh.
Harrison (and his brother), Krajinovic, Saville, Peliwo, Novikov, Kubler, Vesely, Sock, Duckworth, etc are all definitely worth an eye on. Dimitrov too.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Tokyo 2012 SF: Murray vs Raonic - Sat 06 Oct « Reply #55 on: October 05, 2012, 10:53 PM »

Yup ...agreed.... just noticed Kei has a 3-1 H2H on Berdych now ....impressive...something about his game Berdych doesnt like...mobility & variation i guess
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Tokyo 2012 SF: Murray vs Raonic - Sat 06 Oct « Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 10:58 PM »

Harrison (and his brother), Krajinovic, Saville, Peliwo, Novikov, Kubler, Vesely, Sock, Duckworth, etc are all definitely worth an eye on. Dimitrov too.

Not seen much of these guys, but I'll keep an eye out for them. Those 3 mentioned just stand out to me at the moment, of course this could all change.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Tokyo 2012 SF: Murray vs Raonic - Sat 06 Oct « Reply #57 on: October 06, 2012, 12:18 AM »

What about David Goffin?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tokyo 2012 SF: Murray vs Raonic - Sat 06 Oct « Reply #58 on: October 06, 2012, 12:37 AM »

Not seen much of these guys, but I'll keep an eye out for them. Those 3 mentioned just stand out to me at the moment, of course this could all change.

Ryan Harrison and Dimitrov have been in the top 100 since their teens. The others are some of the current up and comers. Krajinovic was top 200 by 18 but has had big injury issues since.

What about David Goffin?
Him and Klizan are good players but I seriously doubt either will ever be Slam contenders. Both a bit older than the likes of Tomic and Harrison, same age as Nishikori but nowhere near as accomplished.

Truth be told, not one of the guys coming through has a patch on the top four (at that same age). Djokovic was winning Slams by 20, Murray top 4 by 21, Nadal winning slams in his teens. We shouldn't take this era for granted, because it will be a while before we see anything like it again.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Tokyo 2012 SF: Murray vs Raonic - Sat 06 Oct « Reply #59 on: October 06, 2012, 12:52 AM »

Surely some will break through soon though. I mean Fed kind of came out of nowhere, whereas there's a big bunch of guys we've heard of now waiting to break through. Give it 5 years and I think the landscape of Tennis will begin to change, with Murray winning his last of 8 Grand Slams :P.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 46 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »