Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Tokyo R1 Murray - Monfils 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 Go Down Reply
Author

Tokyo R1 Murray - Monfils

(Read 7228 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Tokyo R1 Murray - Monfils « Reply #255 on: October 02, 2012, 09:52 AM »

I think not surprising Joe that after immediate relief - and also like bbh joy - of Andy winning his first GS there's a bit of an emotional comedown.  And while I was crying with joy and relief when Andy won, after 5 hours we were probably all too exhausted to take in and feel exactly what it meant.
Now post USO, we can't live at GS emotional heights all the time and nor can Andy.  But agree with Clydey and bbh that while one GS is of course a million times better than no GS I want Andy to go on and dominate the game for next few years (recognising he won't do so alone) and win some more.  I'm not greedy so won't put a number on it.   
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Tokyo R1 Murray - Monfils « Reply #256 on: October 02, 2012, 09:55 AM »

Wish I could've seen the match-but so delighted he won!Yeaah Andy!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Tokyo R1 Murray - Monfils « Reply #257 on: October 02, 2012, 09:56 AM »

When does he start the doubles? It is not mentioned for today or tomorrow on the schedule?
I had thought he was playing later today masaka.  Odd though if not on schedule.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Tokyo R1 Murray - Monfils « Reply #258 on: October 02, 2012, 09:56 AM »

Yes I agree with you Ruthie. I think Andy has more to improve for example the slow starts and finding a rhythm quickly but other than that he has a champion's game. If I would have to make a prediction of the Slams he would most probably win I would have to say Australian Open, Wimbledon and US Open but if he can snatch the French (which is very unlikely) I would be more then pleased.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Tokyo R1 Murray - Monfils « Reply #259 on: October 02, 2012, 10:01 AM »

I don't want him to be viewed as a one slam wonder. I am invested in him distinguishing himself from the likes of Del Potro (in terms of the slam count).

Me too, I guess I meant that I can rest easy whatever happens now. He was in great danger of being the best player to never win a Slam, which would have been a travesty. Now, he'll go down in British sporting legend no matter what the future holds

. I'll be back up for it come the WTF and Oz! lol
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: Tokyo R1 Murray - Monfils « Reply #260 on: October 02, 2012, 10:04 AM »

http://www.nu.nl/sport/2923788/murray-bereikt-tweede-ronde-in-tokio.html
HOOFDDORP - Andy Murray has reached the second round of the ATP tournament in Tokyo. The defending champion was two sets too strong for the Croat Ivo Karlovic 7-6 (7), 6-4.
  Murray utilized after a half hour of play his third match point. He also won all four previous meetings with the Croatian service gun.

The first set went completely without breaks. In the tiebreak Murray just drew the longest straw 9-7. At the end of the second set faltered the service Karlovic, allowing the Scot 5-4 decisive break could make.

. Karlovic was as lucky loser in the main event came after the withdrawal of Gael Monfils with a knee injury. Murray plays in the second round against the Slovakian Lukas Lacko.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Tokyo R1 Murray - Monfils « Reply #261 on: October 02, 2012, 10:56 AM »

I feel odd. Seven years of desperately willing Andy to win a Slam and now I feel almost empty. Hopefully it's just relief, but I didn't feel true elation after the USO, just shock and the feeling that a ghost was laid to rest.

Anyway, good win. Am I alone in feeling that anything in his career from now on is a nice bonus?
No Joe.....you're not alone! Though I think Andy is almost certain to win more slams, for me, they'll be a bonus. I'm not about to jump on the 'one slam wonder' wagon. Instead, I shall look forward to watching Andy play in other slams, with the high excitement factor and the hope that he'll win, but without the gutwrenching fear that he won't! Happy days!  yay
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Tokyo R1 Murray - Monfils « Reply #262 on: October 02, 2012, 11:03 AM »

The fact that Andy has been in five Grand Slam finals already would for me, suggest that he will make many more. And now that he has won, his self belief and knowledge of how to do it will drive him on to win more!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Tokyo R1 Murray - Monfils « Reply #263 on: October 02, 2012, 11:04 AM »

Yes, but he wants more. Being the perfectionist he is, I suspect his next goal is to avoid the cretins in the tabloid press starting the "one slam tripe". Like Teejay?

That's exactly right. Mark my words, it's all pretty positive and upbeat at the moment. The press are broadly supportive of Andy, as they jolly well should be, but if another slam or two went by without him winning, the 'one slam wonder' jibes would start.

I get what Joe means though, in a way. It reminds me a little of what Andy said post USO, the comment about him being able to retire happy now. Now, he wasn't saying for a second that he would, or that he would want to. I think he just merely meant that if he had to retire now, at least he would know in his own mind that he was capable of winning slams because he'd done it once. It makes sense. It also shows better than anything the pressure he was under, which is gone now.

That said, Andy is too competitive, just too bloody good to settle for one. He's already spoken of ways he can get better, which shows how driven he is. To my mind that drive will increase now, because he knows he can do it. However, the drive will increase, but some of the pressure, at least from outside sources, will decrease a bit. No more will anyone be able to go in to print spouting about Andy not having the mental strength to win big.

Clearly Andy can't live in some euphoric bubble forever. He's realistic about what it takes to get to the top and stay there. He knows hard work continues to lie ahead. However, just for myself, the memory of this summer will burn brightly for ages to come. I watched the Olympic final again last night and still loved it, and that brilliant USO final still leaves me breathless. He's ruddy marvellous, our Andy.

Going back to today, I lost the connection to here during the second set! Panic stations! I ended up watching the live stream on the ATP's site. I've never given my PC a round of applause before, but I did it when Andy won yay.

Apparently he had a number of break point chances in the first set, but didn't take them. I guess that's understandable given that he was playing such a big server. However, he broke when it counts, clearly, so a great result all around. That's my boy clap clap clap.

I tell you what, straight sets and only the one tie-break against someone who serves like that. It's not bad, is it? Next up is Lacko isn't it? Tomorrow?

So much for a lull after the USO.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Tokyo R1 Murray - Monfils « Reply #264 on: October 02, 2012, 11:14 AM »

good post tj.  I've ordered the USO final dvd from that firm I think it was you who told us about.  Can't wait to watch the final set again without angst and prefer to watch on tv than on line.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Tokyo R1 Murray - Monfils « Reply #265 on: October 02, 2012, 11:45 AM »

good post tj.  I've ordered the USO final dvd from that firm I think it was you who told us about.  Can't wait to watch the final set again without angst and prefer to watch on tv than on line.

Thanks. Indeed, it was me. I've ordered it too. Went mad and ordered all Andy's rounds to be honest. Must stop doing that mind you! Meanwhile, I've kept the highlights for now. I can't wait to see the whole match again though.

I'm wondering if the DVD will be the American coverage. I loved Mark Petchey's commentary with Peter Fleming, but Mac would be interesting too.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Tokyo R1 Murray - Monfils « Reply #266 on: October 02, 2012, 11:49 AM »

As I watched in Canada I did hear Mac but didn't think he was as good as he so often is at Wimbledon.  Tbh can't remember the commentary now but I expect it will be the American coverage as it was an American tournament.  I'm gradually adding to my Andy match library with some old favourites thanks to you tj.  I'm sure I'll be adding plenty more.  Do think the DVDs are v good value.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Tokyo R1 Murray - Monfils « Reply #267 on: October 02, 2012, 11:54 AM »

Where can you buy the dvds?I think I may need to do some purchasing if I can!Do you think they'd work for me in Ireland?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Tokyo R1 Murray - Monfils « Reply #268 on: October 02, 2012, 11:57 AM »

Where can you buy the dvds?I think I may need to do some purchasing if I can!Do you think they'd work for me in Ireland?

They will, because your system is the same as mine in the UK. I know that because of my sis.

I've gone blank as to the website address I use, but give me a sec and I'll find it.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Tokyo R1 Murray - Monfils « Reply #269 on: October 02, 2012, 11:57 AM »

I hope this outlet sells them on Bluray too. Also I kinda like the USA commentary over the UK's... McEnroe is awesome as is the guy that sounds like the main anchor idk his name... Carillo's annoying though
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »