Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  US Open R1: Murray vs Bogomolov 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 Go Down Reply
Author

US Open R1: Murray vs Bogomolov

(Read 7314 times)
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: US Open R1: Murray vs Bogomolov « Reply #480 on: August 28, 2012, 10:09 AM »

It was almost the most astonishing result in Wimbledon’s history, the day that Federer went out of the tournament before any of the British men – there are only two this summer – had even stepped on to the lawns.

Lunchtime on the first day of the Wimbledon fortnight, and Federer looked all discombobulated out there on the grass, and he dropped the first two sets. If Falla had held on to his delivery when he served for the match at 5-4 in the fourth set, the rest of this fortnight would have been Federer-less, and Wimbledon without Federer is a bit like a cuckoo clock without a cuckoo, a glass of Pimm’s without the mint and the fruit.

From the Telegraph, June 2010 Very Happy

lmao
Fed also had a similar scare against Falla in R1 of the Olympics, where, according to the Guardian report, "Federer mixes the sublime and dire in three-set win". 

That, and Wimby 2010, somewhat put Andy's match into perspective.

Who would've thought that Falla would cause so much trouble for Fed?  Very Happy I remember Novak having similar trouble against Troicki in the US and against Rochus at Wimbledon in first round matches. It's a common thing for the top seeds to struggle in the first match of a slam - at least Andy won comfortably in the end and in straight sets. Do hope he improves his serve for the next match though!
IP Logged
Dropnet

Re: US Open R1: Murray vs Bogomolov « Reply #481 on: August 28, 2012, 10:24 AM »

I noticed a thing during the part of the match I could see and after I have seen some highlights: Murray gave me the impression of searching to play more with forehand than backhand in left side court. It is not usual for him. Maybe it was just a test to feel that kind of shots.

Do you agree?

About else: rain probably cut off some good tension from Murray. It is not easy to wait without know when you will start. Andy when is not on fire with mind, often makes stupid and ridicolous mistakes, because it seems like he is joking. Smile

C'mon guys, first match has gone.
IP Logged
Dropnet

Re: US Open R1: Murray vs Bogomolov « Reply #482 on: August 28, 2012, 11:58 AM »

I didn't see Federer's match. Anyway, I support Murray every match, just say that sometimes he appears more  in jokin mode on than Federer, Djokovic (Nadal no, even if he is sleeping Very Happy ).
It is like Andy is too relaxed, but that few times he risks to remain down his own sleeping mode: simple errors, confusing mind when he has to choice the shot (for example in the first set when he chose for a very very very strange drop shot from backhand side with Bogomolov went in Alaska).
And even if I know, for Andy in particular, first serve is so important, yesterday i doubt a bit about a new "personal mind monster" like: "Oh, damn, my God, f**k, i can't win game on serve since first set like Chardy. What' is happening? Stupid Andy, ecc".
That's it, sometimes Andy starts to play against himself. But I like him for it too.

Smile

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open R1: Murray vs Bogomolov « Reply #483 on: August 28, 2012, 11:58 AM »

Interesting that people are saying that but if he had I'm sure he'd have been slagged off by others for not being professional and meeting his commitments - he can't win sometimes can he.

Ruthie, I've just said pretty much the same thing on the othe thread. Don't get me wrong, I didn't take what was said as criticism of Andy's choice to go, just that he could have probably done without going, but had he decided not to go he would undoubtedly have been criticised. He can't win.

I just think that some things need to be worked on, the hydration needs to be right (though he did have that problem with over hydration earlier in the year, so it is tricky) and I think Andy needs to relax just a tiny bit, although I was pleased that when he did get a bit frustrated he let go of it quickly. It's just a pity Marcus et al chose to go on about him getting frustrated. Why can they not see that he is human? I'd rather him than Iceberg Knickers Fed any day of the week, although Fed was hardly a picture of calm at the Olympics, now was he?

I'm not worried yet. It was a nervous start, but some of his shot-making was exquisite too, so I hope good things are still to come. I'd bet on it.
IP Logged
Dropnet

Re: US Open R1: Murray vs Bogomolov « Reply #484 on: August 28, 2012, 12:02 PM »

Ruthie, I've just said pretty much the same thing on the othe thread. Don't get me wrong, I didn't take what was said as criticism of Andy's choice to go, just that he could have probably done without going, but had he decided not to go he would undoubtedly have been criticised. He can't win.

I just think that some things need to be worked on, the hydration needs to be right (though he did have that problem with over hydration earlier in the year, so it is tricky) and I think Andy needs to relax just a tiny bit, although I was pleased that when he did get a bit frustrated he let go of it quickly. It's just a pity Marcus et al chose to go on about him getting frustrated. Why can they not see that he is human? I'd rather him than Iceberg Knickers Fed any day of the week, although Fed was hardly a picture of calm at the Olympics, now was he?

I'm not worried yet. It was a nervous start, but some of his shot-making was exquisite too, so I hope good things are still to come. I'd bet on it.

I totally agree with you. Wink
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open R1: Murray vs Bogomolov « Reply #485 on: August 28, 2012, 12:05 PM »

Yes the flashes of sheer brilliance were encouraging tj and I'm sure lessons will be learned from yesterday.
As to Mac's idea of Andy partying for a week that just isn't Andy though I'm sure he'd have loved to spend time in the Olympic village and go to the closing ceremony.  But he's a professional sportsman and I'm sure he felt it was his duty to go to Toronto.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open R1: Murray vs Bogomolov « Reply #486 on: August 28, 2012, 12:20 PM »

Hi  Ruthie and all,

To be truthful, I think Andy probably felt he had a duty to go. It seemed like that to me. To be honest I think he is more respectful of his responsibilities to the tour than he is given credit for.

More generally, about the serve folks, it wasn't great against Fed either, and we all know what happened there. It will help if it is better, no doubt. It would make life easier (Andy's and ours lol) but I'm sure it will improve. To be honest it did yesterday when it needed to, so I'm not going to worry about it yet.

The one thing I forgot to mention was that I laughed when they ran the interview that Petch did with Andy. It made me laugh when Petch asked if he looks at the draw and he said no, that Ivan usually just tells him who he is playing in the quarter finals, and he keeps telling him it doesn't work like that LOL.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: US Open R1: Murray vs Bogomolov « Reply #487 on: August 28, 2012, 01:36 PM »

I just can't believe Andy is getting slagged off for for winning 6-2 6-4 6-1!?! How awful a result is that??? Job well done Andy!!
Slagged off by who?

It's not always about the result. Winning is of course the main thing, but then this is the first round where he's expected to win. So naturally at this stage of a Slam the performance is important too. And although there were some excellent parts to his performance (the returning, the drop shots, the winners) there were also some pretty dire parts (the serving, the unusually large amount of errors).

So yes, he won. He did what needed to be done and he looked very good in some stages of the game. But his serving was very unconvincing and naturally, having struggled to hold on to it for most of the match (although he did more often than not, where he deserves credit), it's going to taint the performance.

It's not a slant at Andy, just a reflection on the match. He knows just as well as we do that his serving was poor. I think in all the serving overshadowed the rest of his performance, but then as serving is such a vital part of a player's game I think that's understandable. It was a mixed performance, for sure, and yes it was three sets but it was also about two and a half hours, which is the important bit.

But the main thing is he won, easily in the end too despite the struggles at the start of the first and throughout most of the second set.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter August 28, 2012, 02:20 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open R1: Murray vs Bogomolov « Reply #488 on: August 28, 2012, 01:55 PM »

I agree tmh.  I'm usually one of the first to jump on people who slag Andy off but I didn't feel people were doing so. Instead I think the match report provided a very fair assessment of the match and Andy's performance and I thought most comments were pretty understanding of how difficult a first round match can be especially given Andy doesn't have much hard court match practice under his belt.  Also I'm wondering what effect it's having on him being constantly asked about his medals etc.  While it's lovely to get the recognition for his achievement, it might be easier to put it to one side for now other than deriving confidence from what he achieved.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: US Open R1: Murray vs Bogomolov « Reply #489 on: August 28, 2012, 03:09 PM »

Frigging US coverage! ranting get to see Andy hold serve 1st set (3-2) and then back again for Andy to take 1st set. They then go round the courts doh and we are back 2nd set at 2-3. Just stick to the one match please!  Sam Gore and Taylor Dent are my comms.
As an American, I too was angry that they showed all the Americans and not much of Andy.  The maddening thing is that they showed Nole and Feds match, just luck of the draw I guess if an American is playing at the same time.  James Blake is a huge favorite and New Yorkers love him and they will show his matches, and Jack Sock is the newest American player and there is a lot of excitement over him......so both of those players got airtime.  I had to listen on the radio to Andy's match.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: US Open R1: Murray vs Bogomolov « Reply #490 on: August 28, 2012, 03:16 PM »

I think that round 1 of any slam has to be the most pressure.  If you lose in the final, well you are disappointed but at least you got to the final.  To go out in the first round when you are seeded #3 and #4 in the world has to be terrible.  So I look for Andy's play to get much better now that he has that first round behind him.
IP Logged
Dropnet

Re: US Open R1: Murray vs Bogomolov « Reply #491 on: August 28, 2012, 03:20 PM »

Yeah, because it happens like:

Mmm, ok, it is first round. I am so better than him. I know it, he knows it, all know it. Ok, start. Mmm, i lost a point, haha, no problem, now i go deuce. Mmm, strange, he took another point. ****, I could play so easy and winning but today... Ok, now, i will play better and stronger. Damn, why he made points? Oh, no, I can't lose against him, at first round. Oh my God, if, for example, i will lose... ecc

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open R1: Murray vs Bogomolov « Reply #492 on: August 28, 2012, 05:47 PM »

I read a brief article by a psychologist who said exactly the same thing about Andy.  Sad.  Also Lendl should have had more sense than to encourage him to come to Toronto.  Maybe he did try to stop him but I have my doubts.  Lendl's a real whip and Andy was so caught up in everything I suspect he wasn't thinking very clearly anyway.  Also he likes playing there, so Shrug

I like Lendl and respect him a lot but some of the decisions should be on Andy simply because he knows exactly how he feels and he'll be on court day in day out dealing with different players, conditions, surfaces and all sorts of things, so it's essential that he gives himself some time to let things sink in. And he should also not worry about who says what because if he doesn’t take necessary breaks, he’ll find himself in a much bigger hole. Both Wimbledon and Olympics had been extremely emotional for Andy and he needed to relax and enjoy his success a bit. Toronto is not important. It’s never important when there’s much bigger things at stake. Again, I really hope Andy has realized this already and will schedule himself smartly going forward.  He’s in good hands but at the end of the day, it’s Andy who knows the best. I still feel very disturbed how he had to fly the next day instead of staying back and celebrating the ceremony. Could have easily spent some time with family and the dogs as well. He could then go to Cincinnati to defend his title; if not, at least a few matches in for the USO preparation.  This way he could have had two weeks off just when he needed it but instead it was all over the place. Oh well, what to do when all is said and done. Anyway, all these valuable lessons must be learned from these mistakes.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: US Open R1: Murray vs Bogomolov « Reply #493 on: August 28, 2012, 06:47 PM »

Unfortunately, Andy doesn't have the benefit, as Fed has by virtue of the number of tournaments he has played, of being able to duck out of a Masters here and there.  As far as I am aware, Toronto is a mandatory tournament and if he hadn't played he would have been fined and carried a 0 point penalty for the rest of the year.  It may well have been worth it in this case but I don't think it's in Andy's nature to shirk his responsibilities - he genuinely seems to play it by the book.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: US Open R1: Murray vs Bogomolov « Reply #494 on: August 28, 2012, 07:37 PM »

Andy could easily have got a Doctor's note citing fatigue so he didn't have to play but he still has to do the promotions. However, after having won the Olympics, Andy probably felt invincible so decided to play.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »