Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 84 Go Down Reply
Author

US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic

(Read 12450 times)
Bailey
Satellite Level

Come on Andy!!!!

US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « on: September 04, 2012, 04:47 AM »

A very winnable match for Andy to win and have a shot at Smugfed
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 04:47 AM »

Andy in 4
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 05:15 AM »

Hello Bailey!  Haven't seen you on MW for a quite a while, so welcome back. Smile

Really can't think about this match so soon after the Raonic one, but if Andy can continue to play like that he should have a good chance of beating Cilic.  Their H2H is 6-1 to Andy and one of those wins was due to a Cilic withdrawal.  Cilic's only win was comfortable one at the 2009 USO, but it was revealed later that Andy was carrying a wrist injury.  However Andy himself says that H2Hs count for nothing, so once again he won't be under-estimating his opponent.

I hope too that if it's a day match Andy will cope better with the heat and humidity.  Rain though is going to be a big factor from Tuesday till Thursday.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 06:42 AM »

I'd have thought it probably will be a day match with smugfed vs birdshit at night.  But it sounds like the heat has gone so a day match might be a good thing if rain delays start affecting things.
I'm never going to take anything for granted but all other things being equal Andy should beat Cilic without too many problems - the key question of course is whether all other things will be equal and Andy continues the form it sounds like he found last night.  Onwards and upwards Andy
IP Logged
Bailey
Satellite Level

Come on Andy!!!!

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 07:25 AM »

Thankyou Aileen
If Andy wins this match he will qualify for Barclays atp world tour finals by 5 ranking points! yay
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 08:25 AM »

Their match in 2009 - Cilic played a fantastic match, but the fact Murray withdrew from tournaments after told its own story, he wasn't 100% healthy.

I'm expecting Murray to show a level of consistency from R4 onwards, so if he plays anywhere near the level of last night, he should win in 3/4 sets.

6-1 in the head-to-head, you have to fancy Murray's chances.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 08:26 AM »

Thankyou Aileen
If Andy wins this match he will qualify for Barclays atp world tour finals by 5 ranking points! yay
ooh that's good news Bailey - so hope he does.
IP Logged
Becky
Challenger Level

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 09:18 AM »

If Andy plays like he did in his last match then he should win.

The last time they played here Andy had a wrist problem. I can remember that he was leaving his backhand really short like he couldn't hit it properly. Was that the year when he then went and played Davis cup with the injury still there, and all he got for his trouble was that idiot John Lloyd being rude about him?

Anyway, he beat Cilic in straights at Wimbledon so hopefully it will be a repeat of that performance.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 10:03 AM »

The bookies don't give Cilic a hope in hell.

Skybet have Andy 1-10 ON. Cilic is 6-1 against. Im very confident and think Andy will win in straight sets but 1-10 ON looks incredible. The biggest danger is its a day time match and very hot. But its forecast to be 10-15 degrees cooler in New York this week.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 10:12 AM »

Really can't think about this match so soon after the Raonic one, but if Andy can continue to play like that he should have a good chance of beating Cilic.  Their H2H is 6-1 to Andy and one of those wins was due to a Cilic withdrawal.  Cilic's only win was comfortable one at the 2009 USO, but it was revealed later that Andy was carrying a wrist injury.  However Andy himself says that H2Hs count for nothing, so once again he won't be under-estimating his opponent.

I believe that 6-1 does not include AM's walkover.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 10:25 AM »

Onwards and upwards. Let's be quietly confident of Andy beating Cilic in 3sets which, as has already been mentioned,will bring qualification for the 02 and will be one step nearer  for ranking 3 in the world
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 10:43 AM »

The only place that Cilic has beaten Andy is at the US Open - time for Andy to rectify that one.

cmonandy

* Murray vs Cilic 1.JPG (103.19 KB, 608x826 - viewed 102 times.)
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 10:43 AM »

I believe that 6-1 does not include AM's walkover.

You would be correct, as per H2H above Very Happy
[ Last edit by Bevc September 04, 2012, 10:46 AM ] IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 12:45 PM »

I'm feeling really positive about this after his dismantling of Raonic last night...however,I feel like we shouldn't go too heavily on the H2H-nobody thought Lopez had a hope in hell based on the H2H-in fact I remember reading one article that described Andy drawing him as a gift!-and then look how that went!Andy still won,which is the important thing-I just think we shouldn't declare him as winner til the job's done,if you know what I mean Very Happy
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 12:52 PM »

That's quite cool that they have met at every slam.

Piece of trivia - are there any other players that Andy has played at every slam? Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 84 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »