Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 84 Go Down Reply
Author

US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic

(Read 13380 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 01:18 PM »

Cilic is looking good and is a much better player on this surface than the Grass. I think he'll be tough, for sure. It will be a real test of how Andy can fare during the day, hopefully in cooler conditions, as his best stuff has been in the evening matches so far.

I'm going to say Andy in 4.

That's quite cool that they have met at every slam.

Piece of trivia - are there any other players that Andy has played at every slam? Very Happy
Nadal is the obvious one.

Ferrer... has Andy ever played Ferrer at the US?
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter September 04, 2012, 01:32 PM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 01:24 PM »

Nope, only one they haven't!

Think it's just Nadal and Cilic.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 01:34 PM »

I'm feeling really positive about this after his dismantling of Raonic last night...however,I feel like we shouldn't go too heavily on the H2H-nobody thought Lopez had a hope in hell based on the H2H-in fact I remember reading one article that described Andy drawing him as a gift!-and then look how that went!Andy still won,which is the important thing-I just think we shouldn't declare him as winner til the job's done,if you know what I mean Very Happy

But Andy never shows disrespect to his opponents. He always comments that it will be a tough match and his opposite number is playing well and he Andy must be at the top of his game to win. That is respect!.

It is the commentators who put Andy's opponents down by quoting irrelevant and past H2H.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 03:40 PM »

But Andy never shows disrespect to his opponents. He always comments that it will be a tough match and his opposite number is playing well and he Andy must be at the top of his game to win. That is respect!.

It is the commentators who put Andy's opponents down by quoting irrelevant and past H2H.

No,I know that Andy himself always shows the utmost respect to anyone he's facing-in fact it's one of the many things that makes me love him!When I said nobody thought Lopez had any chance,I actually wasn't referring to Andy or any of his camp,I really meant most other people-journalists,comms,spectators,plenty of people on here-and I didn't mean it in a disrespectful way,as I too thought that surely with their history Lopez wouldn't put up much of a challenge!Showed me!It's just made me wary of taking anything for granted when it comes to challenges presented by opponents,whoever they are.Which is probably a good thing!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 03:55 PM »

Andy certainly showed alot of respect towards Cilic. Not just the usual that it will be tough but commended his work ethic among other things.  Clearly has a lot of respect for him.   But Fleming pointed out that Andy is a v different player from when Cilic beat him at USO.  I wonder is Cilic a v different player?  I somehow think not.  That said I'm certainly taking nothing for granted and v rarely do [Chardy being that rare exception!]
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 03:55 PM »

You can't really look at the H2H like that. You need to look at their H2H on the surface they'll be playing and if this surface is tailor-made for their game.

So if I am to break it down, on hard surface, which happens to be Cilic's best surface as well, it's 3-1 Andy. In GS on hard, it's 1 all. Yes, I know Andy had a wrist injury but I don't take that as seriously as some of you do. Simply because I believe that if a player is seriously injured, then he would retire before the match or during the match. Since Andy didn't, he was good to go. Mind you, that wasn't the first match Andy played in that tournament. In fact, he won his previous matches fairly easily until he ran into a red-hot Cilic and that match was a 4th round match.

Anyway, coming back to H2H again, if you look at their hard court encounters again, you will see that Cilic has given Andy some rough time each time. At the AO just last year, he took the 1st set and made Andy fight for each set thereafter. That encounter at Paris Masters in 2010 went to the final set. And in Madrid 2008, he pushed Andy to two very tight sets. None of these matches were easy by any means. Just ask Andy.

So Andy will be tested here again tomorrow. Just last year, Cilic gave Federer a run for his money. Federer literally went like "phew" after the match where it went to 4th set and the way Cilic was playing, it felt like anybody's game at that point, especially when they both split sets to 1 set all. Federer told JM afterwards that he needed to back off and play safe, because Cilic was so in the zone and he was basically waiting for Cilic to "cool off'. And that's coming from a guy like Federer.

Now I am not worrying too much because I believe if Andy brings his 100% self, then he should be alright and I know Andy knows exactly what to expect, but still until you are up against him, you have no idea what to expect. Cilic hits the ball very hard and flat. He is consistently dangerous off the ground. His serves are a bit suspect though and if he's not on, then he's really error prone. His forehand can be a bit wild and out of control but when he's on, everything clicks for him. And he's not as immature as Raonic and is quite experienced playing the big boys and not at all afraid of the big occasions. So I say, if Andy by any chance drops a level from last night, then he will have his hands full against Cilic especially in the first two sets, so better be careful than to be sorry.

Now I suspect Andy won't be as sharp as last night but if he uses his head and his game as wisely as he typically does, then he should be alright. He won't be under as much pressure as far as the serve goes but off the ground it might get a bit tricky. He will need to be very solid there as well. Cilic however knows that it will be very, very hard to beat Andy.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean September 04, 2012, 04:00 PM ] IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 04:00 PM »

Thankyou Aileen
If Andy wins this match he will qualify for Barclays atp world tour finals by 5 ranking points! yay

Great news.

Anyone know if Raonic stands any chance.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 05:00 PM »

Great news.

Anyone know if Raonic stands any chance.
It is unlikely as the 8th player listed in the race at the moment is Tsonga with2745 points Raonic leads the under21 race rankings showing that he is an up and coming player even if he got thoroughly beaten by Murray last night.  Raonic has 2030 point currently.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 06:12 PM »

Federer has potentially a harder match (than Andy) against Berdych in the next round.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 06:14 PM »

and might not necessarily help him not having played yesterday as can break the rhthym though I guess smugfed floats above such considerations  Whistle
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 06:23 PM »

Berdych always tends to raise his level against Federer. He is very good at taking advantage of Fed's 2nd serve and murdering any short returns. He's also, like Nadal, can take advantage of Fed's backhand and make him feel very uncomfortable.  
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 06:33 PM »

Didn't Grabcopy say he thought Cilic had one of the worst forehands, technically, of the top players?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 06:36 PM »

Cilic has a great forehand but he can't make it work all the time and at times he gets frustrated with it - kind of like Andy's first serve - not consistent enough though deadly if it's on. Yesterday though, it was working just fine.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 06:41 PM »

I think Cillic will provide a challenge indeed, he is very good on these hardcourts, and as he proved in 2009, not afraid to win.

Definately toughest yet on paper...although i think it will be a slightly easier match than the Lopez one in reality, but cillic winning a set is quite likely. its important we dont get carried away with the wonderful Raonic performance because:-

1. It was played at night - perfect conditions for Andy- likely to be day match. (bad performances during the day so far)

2. Raonic id big serve decent FH ---nothing else - whereas Cilic has every shot going for him and hs movement is no worse than Raonic's.

I predict a tough match but max 4 sets..I think Federer will have it tougher mind....
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 06:49 PM »

Rachie, I absolutely agree with you there. We have no reason to get carried away because of Andy's performance last night. Isner has seen Raonic off in Toronto only 3 weeks ago and it was too a straight sets win for Isner, so clearly these experienced players are still a level above Raonic. But more importantly, nothing is easy in a Slam to put it mildly. It would be very unwise to take Cilic lightly but that doesn't also mean that we should start having stomach problems already. There's a chance that Andy just might drop a set but that's all I am seeing for now. A dead on Andy will be likely to take it in 3 if he protects his serve like he did last night, but we don't know which Andy will show up tomorrow. Andy doesn't like taking all the matches 100% seriously so he'll be more into playing as much as he needs to, but I really hope he comes out well prepared.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean September 04, 2012, 06:53 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 84 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »