Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer  (Read 6762 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #660 on: August 31, 2013, 01:33 AM »

I could say the same about you and Federer as a pose to her and Andy.

'opposed,' you supposed?
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #661 on: August 31, 2013, 01:47 AM »

'opposed,' you supposed?

English is my twentieth language.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #662 on: August 31, 2013, 02:26 AM »

Some of the comments in this thread about how the other big 3 never have this kind of issue really make me laugh, in the early rounds of slams you will always get the player who comes out with nothing to lose bashing the ball for all he's worth, Andy did well to absorb it all and take a 2 set lead.

For those saying this never happens to Rafa et al need to be reminded of Lucas Rosol and Steve Darcis, not to mention Sergeiy Stahkovsky, the difference here is Andy survived, in fact i think he showed us in the 4th set exactly how far he has come in the last 18 months, after losing that 3rd set his head would have gone down and would have probably ended up going to 5.

IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #663 on: August 31, 2013, 02:28 AM »

Some of the comments in this thread about how the other big 3 never have this kind of issue really make me laugh, in the early rounds of slams you will always get the player who comes out with nothing to lose bashing the ball for all he's worth, Andy did well to absorb it all and take a 2 set lead.

For those saying this never happens to Rafa et al need to be reminded of Lucas Rosol and Steve Darcis, not to mention Sergeiy Stahkovsky, the difference here is Andy survived, in fact i think he showed us in the 4th set exactly how far he has come in the last 18 months, after losing that 3rd set his head would have gone down and would have probably ended up going to 5.

Well said Gnome Smile. Not to mention Wawrinka with Djokovic at the Aussie though that was in R4, but it can apply here.
IP Logged
rob92
Challenger Level

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #664 on: August 31, 2013, 02:28 AM »

Nadal at the French open is a prime example of this.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #665 on: August 31, 2013, 03:00 AM »

Can I make a suggestion to the USTA? Don't rip up Grandstand, rip up ruddy Armstrong, bury Crofty under it and then build a court on top where you aren't trying to play with half of the crowd on your lap. I think that is the issue for Andy on that hateful court, it's really claustrophobic, it even looks it.

That match was always going to be a challenge on that court. Credit to Mayer for doing his damndest to be awkward, but Andy was always going to find a way. Andy hasn't won two slams and an Olympic gold just by being prettier than his opponents, he knows how to get it done. In the 4th he was magnificent and everyone knew it.

In many ways this match feels more like Andy throwing down the gauntlet than the first round. Llodra couldn't really threaten Andy much, although Andy did play a fine match. Mayer made life difficult, but Andy found a way, and in some style too. That's a champion right there.

I was glad Marcus addressed the issue of whether certain others will play on that court. We all know damned well they won't, which strikes me as grossly unfair. How dare that stupid b.itch of a former British no.1 (we must have had some God awful women players back in her day) still question Andy's status in the game and popularity and use that as justification for unfairness. Silly cow still thinks the sun shines out of Federer's orifices.

Hopefully that will be Andy's last venture on Armstrong. It had better be. Either way, he got it done, played brilliantly when he needed to, and I got to insult that cow, so everyone is happy. Oh, and Greg Rusedski was right again. Andy shouldn't have been on Armstrong in the first place.

I really don't get the UK media mentality sometimes ....of putting down its own people ..i don't know any other country that does that to the extent UK does. They put down people who are trying their best but not achieving desired success....then can't wait to put them down when they do achieve success.... jealousy is a sad mindset.

IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #666 on: August 31, 2013, 03:47 AM »

This was Murray's 26th consecutive second-round victory in a Grand Slam tournament, he has become one of the most consistent performers at Grand Slam level, in fact he hasn't lost a match before the 1/4 finals since the USO in 2010, he's also made the semis or better 12 times in his last 16 slams, that's pretty impressive.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #667 on: August 31, 2013, 07:12 AM »

Didn't watch and just reading the last few comments.
Sounds as if the 3rd wasn't gr8  Rolling Eyes
But the 4th, pure Murray magic yay
Let's go Andy, all the way to the title yahooo
IP Logged
deb
ATP Level

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #668 on: August 31, 2013, 07:16 AM »

hug
thanks Linda  hug
IP Logged
deb
ATP Level

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #669 on: August 31, 2013, 07:18 AM »

Sorry your not well Deb hope you feel better soon. And wake up to an Andy win.
thanks Caroline, just seen Andy did it, didn't doubt him for a second Wink
IP Logged
deb
ATP Level

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #670 on: August 31, 2013, 07:19 AM »

This was Murray's 26th consecutive second-round victory in a Grand Slam tournament, he has become one of the most consistent performers at Grand Slam level, in fact he hasn't lost a match before the 1/4 finals since the USO in 2010, he's also made the semis or better 12 times in his last 16 slams, that's pretty impressive.
  clap clap So proud , he has come a long way .
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #671 on: August 31, 2013, 07:47 AM »

Has to be a good thing to get through really tough match at this stage. Unfortunately cocked up my recording so only got the first 15 minutes of the first set then flicked over and found it still going live so managed to see from the start of the 4th set.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #672 on: August 31, 2013, 07:52 AM »

wow that match was the Andy Murray roller coaster in miniature.  I know Andy doesn't underestimate his opponents but he can't have expected that storm that hit him in first set and I think he did well just to hang on in there and grab it at the last minute when not playing his best tennis. After the 2nd set a friend who was texting me said we can relax now and I replied I never relax until the last ball is hit and how right I was.  That's tennis for you - one lapse from Andy and the storm  shows it hasn't blown itself out.  But it was all worth it - and staying up well beyond when I wanted to go to bed as tired before it even started - for that final set.  Just brilliant.  Oh boy it's only the 2nd round and my nerves have been shredded already.  As Andy said on BBC it was a good test.  I'm glad it wasn't a night match as he has more time to recover before Sunday and I think it will have stood him in good stead for rest of tournament even though some say better to sale through early rounds.
And then woke up to hear Delpo out to Hewitt.  
I hope Ivan has words with USTA to make clear that is last time Andy plays on Armstrong this year.    

Here's the BBC's story.  Andy himself notes how his serve was weak  but is pretty diplomatic about having to play on Armstrong http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23906606

btw on a more frivolous note really liked the white and red/black top and the other one seemed to morph between red and orange before my very eyes  w00t
[ Last edit by Ruthie August 31, 2013, 08:12 AM ] IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #673 on: August 31, 2013, 08:17 AM »

It shows us where Andy is now when facing a player on fire, he works his way through the tough moments and then presents us with his brilliant play in the 4th set. He is now strong both mentally and physically. I feel a match like this will set him up for the rest of the tournament, and as Mayer was a very big hitting player and Andy managed his way through. Am I being fanciful in thinking that this match will help him when he could face Berdy another big hitting player. Although seeing Del Po beaten by Hewitt, Stan could beat Berdy if he plays his best. Berdy was tested by the young American.
Good to see Greg airing on air his displeasure at the way Andy has been treated, I think he has more standing than A. Croft. If she carries on as she does I can see Greg giving her a piece of his mind off air.
I'm so proud of the way Andy has handled the late start to his tournament and being put on Armstrong. I 'm sure Lendl will be having strong words with the organisers.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #674 on: August 31, 2013, 08:19 AM »

I never doubted Andy would win, but I was so tired last night I was not happy Andy couldn't break back and win that third set and let me go to bed, but then he played a brilliant fourth set, so it all worked out for the best.  cmon yeah yay
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »