Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 [46] 47 Go Down Reply
Author

US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer

(Read 9109 times)
adb..OH
Seed

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #675 on: August 31, 2013, 08:26 AM »

Well done, Andy!   cmonandy
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #676 on: August 31, 2013, 08:32 AM »

I never doubted Andy would win, but I was so tired last night I was not happy Andy couldn't break back and win that third set and let me go to bed, but then he played a brilliant fourth set, so it all worked out for the best.  cmon yeah yay

Exactly the state I was in. I was just thinking "stop p*ssing about and get this done, so I can go to sleep.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #677 on: August 31, 2013, 09:08 AM »

I don't think Andy being tested will do him any harm at all. To my mind this one showed where he is now. He wasn't playing his best in the 1st set and won it anyway. Mayer looked like he was done in the second, but was rejuvenated in the third, and then Andy grabbed him by the delicate parts in the 4th and didn't let go. That 4th set was pretty quick, so I'm not too worried about Andy having taken too long. All that matters to me is that he won. Andy was tested more than once (both on that vile court) last year, but if anything it strengthened him.

The funny thing is that if Andy got deep into the tourney without a test, there would be people saying he'd had it too easy. They would doubt his ability to fight if it came to it.

I agree Ruthie, Lendl needs to put his foot down and say Andy is not playing another match on that court.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #678 on: August 31, 2013, 09:36 AM »

This from Andys' own official website:

Andy books place in US Open third round
News - Friday, August 30 2013

'Andy has defeated Leonardo Mayer in straight sets to reach the second round of the US Open.'

A pretty silly error, the quality control needs to be looked at   Rolling Eyes

IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #679 on: August 31, 2013, 09:57 AM »

After the slight irritation of the 3rd set, the fourth was just sheer magic. Some of the shot making Andy produced was just amazing. Well done Andy against an opponent who had nothing to lose. Looking forward to the next week or so as am off work & don't have to worry about the schedule now!!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #680 on: August 31, 2013, 10:09 AM »

Some of the comments in this thread about how the other big 3 never have this kind of issue really make me laugh, in the early rounds of slams you will always get the player who comes out with nothing to lose bashing the ball for all he's worth, Andy did well to absorb it all and take a 2 set lead.

For those saying this never happens to Rafa et al need to be reminded of Lucas Rosol and Steve Darcis, not to mention Sergeiy Stahkovsky, the difference here is Andy survived, in fact i think he showed us in the 4th set exactly how far he has come in the last 18 months, after losing that 3rd set his head would have gone down and would have probably ended up going to 5.

Well said. I deliberately avoid match threads til after the match due to this. Botom line is this is the Andy way. We all know it. It isn't likely to change. If folk don't like it why are they Andy fans. It's all part and parcel of the Murraycoaster. And it's what comes with the territory of being at the top - Big guns trying to pace their form to peak at the later stages up against lower ranked player who knows they need to play at their peak to have a hope and can swing freely as the underdog with nothing to lose. Andy played well when he needed to. He won.  Job done.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #681 on: August 31, 2013, 10:25 AM »

I don't think I've seen Mayer play before so I was surprised by how aggressive he was. Great shotmaking from him in the first and third sets. Andy did very well to win the first set when it was Mayer who was dictating most of the play.

It's a shame about the third set - after winning the second 6-1 it looked like Andy was in control - but to his credit, Mayer did really step his level up in the third.

Andy's tennis was brilliant in the 4th though. He really took charge of the match then, and came up with some wonderful tennis. Hope he's not scheduled on Armstrong again - he definitely struggles on that court. At least with Delpo gone, Andy/Berdych (if it happens) should be on Ashe along with Fed/Nadal.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #682 on: August 31, 2013, 02:17 PM »

Mayer in some ways reminded of Ferrer......especially when he was bouncing the ball, preparing to serve!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #683 on: August 31, 2013, 03:52 PM »

In the end it wasn't that long a match for a slam and given it was fairly early it leaves Andy plenty of time to recover.  Like Sparkle I just wanted to go to bed but knew I couldn't; but that magical final set was worth staying up for. Am just recording the highlights of that set now to watch again at my leisure and without tension.  yay
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #684 on: August 31, 2013, 03:53 PM »

I raced from my office to get to the assisted living home where my husband is but had to watch some of the live update for the first set in my car and I could tell that Mayer was playing tough and was happy to see Andy win the first set. Once in my husbands room with the match on, I realized they do not have wifi there, so it was watch this match by myself and handle my nerves somehow. My daughter said I was obsessed so I shooed her out of the room to take her dad to the dining room and continued to watch the match. I missed not being able to send messages to Andy via murraysworld. I know he doesn't get them, just my obsession. I couldn't believe the third set, Andy couldn't do anything, but then the true Andy came out in the fourth and proved how good and determined he was to win this match. Well done Andy well done. Keep it going boy!!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #685 on: August 31, 2013, 03:56 PM »

I think you deserve an embellished murrays  mint apollo!
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #686 on: August 31, 2013, 03:58 PM »

As teejay says I too think that it doesn't hurt for Andy to be tested early on. If everything comes easy, when the hard comes you may not be ready.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #687 on: August 31, 2013, 04:00 PM »

I think you deserve an embellished murrays  mint apollo!
Haha oh thank you, Ruthie, I sure missed being on MW yesterday.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #688 on: August 31, 2013, 04:03 PM »

Glad you got to see the match Apollo! It's a pity you couldn't get to send your messages through MW as usual, but I'll bet you were transmitting plenty of 'the force', straight to Andy in Flushing Meadows!  yes
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: US OPEN - R2: Murray vs L. Mayer « Reply #689 on: August 31, 2013, 04:53 PM »

Bottom line is this is the Andy way. We all know it. It isn't likely to change. If folk don't like it why are they Andy fans. It's all part and parcel of the Murraycoaster. And it's what comes with the territory of being at the top - Big guns trying to pace their form to peak at the later stages up against lower ranked player who knows they need to play at their peak to have a hope and can swing freely as the underdog with nothing to lose. Andy played well when he needed to. He won.  Job done.
On this subject, I was reading an article this morning about whether or not it's good for sports fans if there are easy, obvious victories for their favourites.

There's a photo of Andy at the top, but it's not actually about him.  More focus on golf, cricket and football.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/23685153
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 [46] 47 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »