Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 36 Go Down Reply
Author

US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig

(Read 10297 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #105 on: August 29, 2012, 12:44 PM »

Think given it is a night match, I will set Sky+ to record it, and then hopefully wake up to the prospect of watching a victory tommorow. Need to remember Dodigs last victory was against a player 200+ in the ranking, which doesn't make it quite as spectacular. Over 5 sets my money would still be on Mr M. However, not up to the stress of watching it live. Although sod's law is I will wake up in the middle of the night and be tempted to just check the score - at which point I will be doomed, and on here.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #106 on: August 29, 2012, 01:07 PM »

2am. I could try and get to bed a little earlier and get a couple of hours sleep, but knowing me I'll forget this plan until about half 1, then realise there's no point.

Don't think I'll be surfacing until Thursday afternoon.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #107 on: August 29, 2012, 01:15 PM »

I regret that my comments re expletives have caused such a heated debate. An epithet is a meaningless word and any word will do. My point is that, while Murray is flapping about he is not concentrating on the job in hand and his opponent knows that he is losing control and becomes more confident of victory.
  I hope that Murray will win effortlessly tonight just by playing excellent tennis.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #108 on: August 29, 2012, 01:19 PM »

Hi All,

I keep telling myself that I'm not watching tonight. I'm not waking up spontaneously to put the TV on. Andy can manage perfectly well without me just for one match, but I know what is likely to happen. As if by magic my body clock will decide around 2am that it is Andy time and that will be it. Whistle

That said, I've done something stupid to myself and I'm in agony, so I'm sort of hoping the pain will knock me out. Would you believe it, I stretched to turn off a tap that was just out of my reach in my wheelchair and I felt a weird pop. I think I've pulled or torn something in my ribs. Even breathing bloody well hurts!

Talking about Dodig, he seems really nice. I like how he won't be drawn in to talking about his tough times, however much he is pushed. He seemed the same at Queen's this year, a genuine good bloke. Normally he's the type I'd be cheering on, but he's playing our Andy, so I'm afraid that's it. There's only one Ivan I'm backing, and it's the one coaching Andy lol.

I think Andy will be fine tonight. He will want to find his groove, I'm sure of it, not that he was that bad on Monday. I still think his return game was right on the money. It was the FSP that made life hard, but if Andy can just relax a bit tonight and go for it I'm confident he will be fine. A good, lively crowd will help him, I'm sure of it.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #109 on: August 29, 2012, 02:11 PM »

I regret that my comments re expletives have caused such a heated debate. An epithet is a meaningless word and any word will do. My point is that, while Murray is flapping about he is not concentrating on the job in hand and his opponent knows that he is losing control and becomes more confident of victory.
  I hope that Murray will win effortlessly tonight just by playing excellent tennis.
I disagree completely. There is a difference between mindlessly cursing and firing himself up. The "focus" was clearly the latter. Mindlessly cursing, constantly throwing racquets and the such every few points is negative and a waste of energy. But when struggling a little bit, firing themselves up with a "come on!" or a "focus!" can be good.
IP Logged
PETRA

Observe time and opportunity.

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #110 on: August 29, 2012, 02:12 PM »

Damn it I was ready and waiting with my popcorn!
Me too.  Forgive me I am new to all this but reading today's oop Andy appears to be the only 2nd round match being played today.  Is this an advantage or a disadvantage?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #111 on: August 29, 2012, 02:15 PM »

tj @1.19 - do hope you'll be ok.
Like other fainthearts I plan to sky+ it and also I'm going to put my radio on world service  rather than five live, which is going to provide live commentary.  I often wake up during night and find 5 live the best thing to send me back to sleep.  That said I fear I too will wake up and even if I don't get up to watch will end up checking on 5L what's happening.  Hopeless aren't we.

Welcome Petra.  I think the general view is that this is a GOOD THING especially as he gets a night match.  Given the vagaries of NY weather the more matches he can get under his belt the better and reduces the chances of more pressure towards the end of the fortnight if  he's ahead in that half of the draw.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #112 on: August 29, 2012, 02:36 PM »

We were talking 'swear words' Apollo. I would have thought that was clear enough if you'd read the previous posts!
I knew you were talking about swear words and I was talking about the word focus, so sorry to have gotten into this conversation.  From now on I will butt out.  Sorry to have gotten on your Robbie!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #113 on: August 29, 2012, 02:39 PM »

You think this is a heated debate? Wait until you've been around a while. In the words of Al Jolson.......'You ain't heard nuthin' yet!'  Whistle
IP Logged
PETRA

Observe time and opportunity.

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #114 on: August 29, 2012, 02:46 PM »

Welcome Petra.  I think the general view is that this is a GOOD THING especially as he gets a night match.  Given the vagaries of NY weather the more matches he can get under his belt the better and reduces the chances of more pressure towards the end of the fortnight if  he's ahead in that half of the draw.
[/quote]
Tongue in cheek, I know Fed has played a night match but why Andy and not him
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #115 on: August 29, 2012, 03:12 PM »

Not sure where to put this. It's a blog Judy is writing while at USO if anyone interested. http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-events/Tennis-blogs/Judy-Murray/Judy-Murray-at-the-US-Open/

But it was this that caught my attention (Lendl's reaction to Andy's first match):

'Andy got through in straight sets. 4 breaks of serve in the first 4 games and Mr Lendl turns round and says "this is what you’re used to watching in the women’s matches". Cheeky.'

Man don't mince his words, eh?
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #116 on: August 29, 2012, 03:17 PM »

I am flirting with the idea of setting my alarm to get up and watch it – however I do have a couple of meetings to minute tomorrow and have a fear of “dropping off” during one of them which is never attractive if I fall asleep and then start “dribbling”

If I do not set my alarm I have a feeling that my internal “Murrayometer” will alert me to  the fact that Andy is on court in which case I would not be able to resume my sleep anyway!!!!

Hopefully whatever happens there will be good news in the morning – I watched the first round match again and there was some quite brilliant shot making by Andy, his serving was dire (by his standards) in the 1st and 2nd set but was beginning to improve I by the 3rd.

I really hope that Andy can shake off his rustiness and pick himself up for this match – so want to see him go all the way here, want him and us to experience the highs that we had during the Olympics – come on Andy, if I can risk  my reputation in a meeting by turning into a dribbling, gibbering tired wreck then the least you can do is reward me with a straight sets pummelling – but am not fussy will take any result as long as YOU WIN!!!!!

Come on Andy……………

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #117 on: August 29, 2012, 03:33 PM »

Tongue in cheek, I know Fed has played a night match but why Andy and not him
Well who knows Fed might play the night match tomorrow though even he has to play a day match occasionally.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #118 on: August 29, 2012, 03:36 PM »

tj @1.19 - do hope you'll be ok.
Like other fainthearts I plan to sky+ it and also I'm going to put my radio on world service  rather than five live, which is going to provide live commentary.  I often wake up during night and find 5 live the best thing to send me back to sleep.  That said I fear I too will wake up and even if I don't get up to watch will end up checking on 5L what's happening.  Hopeless aren't we.

Thanks. I'm sure I'll be fine. I hope I am. I wouldn't relish the idea of seeing the doctor and telling them I hurt myself turning off a tap. I'd be tempted to lie and tell them I did it doing some exercise lol.

I think I'm going to Sky+ it, I think I'll have to. The trouble is that will make me worse lol. I just know it'll be dead on two when I wake up, and it'll be 'oh I'll just have a look how he's going and I'll go back to sleep', but will I heck. Even the though of it recording won't help lol.

I wonder if Andy realises what we all go through for him?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #119 on: August 29, 2012, 03:38 PM »

I'm sure he doesn't have a clue tj and would be utterly amazed [unless he does take the occasional peek at MW in which case he'd see just how devoted some of his fans are]
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 36 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »