Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] Go Down Reply
Author

US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig

(Read 9250 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #525 on: September 01, 2012, 12:51 AM »

I must admit to having been very impressed by Fed's performance against Phau - even although I had to mute the constantly drooling Eurosport commentator.  On-form he's still the best and most aesthetically pleasing player around, but these days chinks are definitely appearing in his armour.  He's now guilty of playing some unbelievably appalling shots and making a hitherto unheard of number of UEs.  John McEnroe, whilst not denigrating Andy's achievement, said after the Olympic final that, in his opinion, Fed had, for the first time there, showed his age by the way he dealt with some of his shots.

Also I know we do go on here about deluded Fed fans, but I think it's true of a lot of fans of tennis and other sports (as well as showbiz personalities) that they just cannot see why not everyone loves their particular idol.  I do think though that in Fed's case there are more of them simply because he was at top for so long that, in their eyes, he still has that aura of invincibility - something which Fed is only too happy to pander to whether consciously or otherwise.

It actually wasn't about how "beautiful" Federer's tennis is because frankly, I could care less. She was the only person who hadn't realize that I am actually a very big Andy fan because anyone who knows me knows at least this about me and yet, she had the audacity to tell me that she threw herself in the towel after Andy's match and then how she wept during Federer's match just last night. I had the decency to at least not tell her how I truly feel about Federer and yet, she doesn't get the message - not even aware that I am actually an Andy fan. Even my boss knows that I am die-hard fan of Andy and she's a Nadal fan. And this Scottish friend of mine, she doesn't even watch tennis all that much because had she done so, then she would have known that there are plenty players in the past and present who played/play beautiful tennis as well. And frankly, if Federer didn't have all that results to support him, these very fans would have never known about a player like Federer. The main reason why they support him has nothing to do with how "beautiful" his tennis is but everything to do with how big a winner he is. People identify themselves with the winner far more than the losers or let's say someone who's struggling. It makes them "happy" after all when they see their player winning all the time.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean September 01, 2012, 12:55 AM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #526 on: September 01, 2012, 01:09 AM »

Anyway, I like her so it doesn't really matter. She probably doesn't even know how I feel. lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #527 on: September 01, 2012, 02:05 AM »

The main reason why they support him has nothing to do with how "beautiful" his tennis is but everything to do with how big a winner he is. People identify themselves with the winner far more than the losers or let's say someone who's struggling. It makes them "happy" after all when they see their player winning all the time.
Well for me, for "happy" substitute "boring".  Andy has me tearing my hair out at times but it's his unpredictability that makes him so exciting to follow.  I just roll with the bad times and rejoice in the good because it's the bad times that made the good ones all the sweeter.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #528 on: September 01, 2012, 02:14 AM »

The joy I would feel once Andy gets his first Slam would be greater than anything else, because this has been such a long wait and we all had to go through the ordeal and share Andy's ups and downs pretty much on a daily basis and we chose that knowingly so. And God knows it's not easy by any means. And this is also the reason why it's far more rewarding and so much more sweeter and one will never know until one goes through it.

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #529 on: September 01, 2012, 02:37 AM »

I've never understood people who just latch on to people/teams that are winning. And then claim to find enjoyment from watching them win. And then looking down on people that support lesser players/teams. As if, because they chose to support a winner, they are a better person than me for supporting something/one I have a proper attachment to, not this faux crap to satisfy my life.

For me it's not a choice really. For whatever reason I just find myself 'emotionally attached', I think would be the best way to describe it. And yes, in the case of Andy (and Lewis and Jenson in the F1), it's because of his nationality. I can't explain it but I find myself supporting the British contenders in a way that I can't other players. Even the lower ranked guys or the juniors, I find myself disappointed if they lose or upbeat if they win.

It was the same with football. I didn't choose Leeds. I grew up supporting them from such a young age (3, I think), because my dad did, because he bought be the clothing and took me to games. I loved them before I even understood anything.

And Leeds are very similar to Murray actually, in the fact that we're 'nearly men'. Always so close to elation, but ultimately just missing out and instead, crushing disappointment.

But it's the hope that keeps me going. And I know full well that if Murray ever wins a Slam, or Leeds finally get promoted back to the Premiership, that it will truly special, far more special than if I just chose to jump on to the bandwagon of Federer or Nadal (or Man United or Chelsea) knowing full well that they often win.

Sport. There's nothing like it. The glory hunters don't know what they're missing out on.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #530 on: September 01, 2012, 02:37 AM »

The joy I would feel once Andy gets his first Slam would be greater than anything else, because this has been such a long wait and we all had to go through the ordeal and share Andy's ups and downs pretty much on a daily basis and we chose that knowingly so. And God knows it's not easy by any means. And this is also the reason why it's far more rewarding and so much more sweeter and one will never know until one goes through it.
Well his winning that Olympic Gold Medal was sweet enough for me for the moment, but a first GS win will be even sweeter.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #531 on: September 01, 2012, 06:09 AM »

Whenever, wherever he beats Fed is very, very sweet. yay
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #532 on: September 01, 2012, 06:27 AM »

Having watched the highlights of Fed v Phau he did not play brilliantly but did not need to, just like Andy and Djokovic.  They only had to get through without using rtoo much energy.  Phau still did not make it that easy for him.  I am totally fed up with Fed's fans.  Someone at work, who is not very into tennis, has caught on to the notion that Fed gave Andy the gold medal.  When I put her straight she actully realised what nonsense it was.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #533 on: September 01, 2012, 10:17 AM »

Well put 'MadHatter' I agree, I've notice you are an F1 fan too. As I've said in past posts I support Lewis, Jenson and Paul, but have the greatest respect for Nadal and Alonso both of whom are probably the best in their games. But Andy and Lewis are knocking on the door. As Andy points out at the end of each match 'the door is open this far'. Lendl remarked, that you just keep knocking on that door and one day it will 'open'!

[ Last edit by dex September 01, 2012, 10:20 AM ] IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #534 on: September 01, 2012, 10:41 AM »

I've never understood people who just latch on to people/teams that are winning. And then claim to find enjoyment from watching them win. And then looking down on people that support lesser players/teams. As if, because they chose to support a winner, they are a better person than me for supporting something/one I have a proper attachment to, not this faux crap to satisfy my life.

For me it's not a choice really. For whatever reason I just find myself 'emotionally attached', I think would be the best way to describe it. And yes, in the case of Andy (and Lewis and Jenson in the F1), it's because of his nationality. I can't explain it but I find myself supporting the British contenders in a way that I can't other players. Even the lower ranked guys or the juniors, I find myself disappointed if they lose or upbeat if they win.

It was the same with football. I didn't choose Leeds. I grew up supporting them from such a young age (3, I think), because my dad did, because he bought be the clothing and took me to games. I loved them before I even understood anything.

And Leeds are very similar to Murray actually, in the fact that we're 'nearly men'. Always so close to elation, but ultimately just missing out and instead, crushing disappointment.

But it's the hope that keeps me going. And I know full well that if Murray ever wins a Slam, or Leeds finally get promoted back to the Premiership, that it will truly special, far more special than if I just chose to jump on to the bandwagon of Federer or Nadal (or Man United or Chelsea) knowing full well that they often win.

Sport. There's nothing like it. The glory hunters don't know what they're missing out on.

Well said Mate !!  clap  I've actually got progressively better at dealing with football or tennis loses.  I used to go a lil bit mental when Andy lost.  hahaha  Very Happy  I'm  such a pro fan now  Smile  (not really)  but much improved.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #535 on: September 01, 2012, 12:37 PM »

Did anyone think that Dodig looks rather like Baggy? And sorry that Baggy lost yesterday.,
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #536 on: September 01, 2012, 01:53 PM »

Did anyone think that Dodig looks rather like Baggy? And sorry that Baggy lost yesterday.,
I thought he looked remarkably like Billy Paynter (former Swindon and Leeds footballer) when he had his cap on. Tim Bresnan (England cricketer) looks similar as well.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #537 on: September 01, 2012, 02:24 PM »

Haven't heard of either of them tmh so couldn't comment!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: US Open R2 Murray vs Dodig « Reply #538 on: September 01, 2012, 04:25 PM »

I was racking my brains to think who the Belgian player, Steve Darcis, reminds me of and then I realised it is the Swedish multi-murderer who was sentenced last week - sorry Steve!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »