Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Monday, Estimated time - 8:00pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  US Open R3: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will prevail?
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Mayer in 3
Mayer in 4
Mayer in 5

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 34 Go Down Reply
Author

US Open R3: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer

(Read 6051 times)
Apollo
World No 1

Re: US Open R3: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer « Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 05:19 AM »

Good luck Andy!  Come out once again ready to defeat Mayer, let your racquet do the talking and may the force be with you!
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: US Open R3: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer « Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 06:23 AM »

come on Andy, show everyone what u can do. Matches will be getting harder after this round so get prepared. Good luck looking forward to the match. Andy in 3
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open R3: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer « Reply #32 on: September 01, 2013, 07:25 AM »

nice timing for us but hope not too hot and humid for Andy (though I'm sure he can deal with it better than Florian).  Let's hope not delayed by those thunderstorms they keep threatening.   Carry on where you left off on Friday Andy.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: US Open R3: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer « Reply #33 on: September 01, 2013, 09:08 AM »

Andy will need to get off to a good start (and I think he will) as he's aware Mayers' trickyness. Andy vs Mayer in Madrid was when he had back pain and he was in shabby form. Still he won and on clay!

Andy in 3.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: US Open R3: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer « Reply #34 on: September 01, 2013, 09:10 AM »

Andy in 3 for me!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open R3: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer « Reply #35 on: September 01, 2013, 09:24 AM »

I'm glad this is on Ashe as it will be in the day. Ashe looks just that bit more shady at the back of the court than Armstrong, which has no shade at all.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: US Open R3: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer « Reply #36 on: September 01, 2013, 10:22 AM »

I hope Andy will win in 3 but fear it might be 4 I'll be very glad to see the back of the Mayers I can't remember a thread on this site starting in such a horrible way.
 Is anyone else getting obsessed with Ferrer's performance? He's far too close to Andy for my liking
Roll on 6pm We're right behind you Andy!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open R3: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer « Reply #37 on: September 01, 2013, 10:26 AM »

bb can't say I'm too worried by Ferrer.  I'm not sure who stands between him and the SF but on the basis of how he's been playing this summer, I'd be surprised if he made the SF, in which case he will lose points and certainly can't imagine getting him beyond SF.  But one learns never to count him out I guess.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open R3: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer « Reply #38 on: September 01, 2013, 10:46 AM »

BB, with all due respect obsessing about Ferrer seems to be a bit of a hobby around here, but there doesn't seem to be any need for it. Andy is well over 1,000 points ahead of Ferrer in the rankings. Sure, Andy has points to defend, but so does Ferrer. Ferrer needs to go beyond the semi's and then some to overtake Andy and that just isn't happening. I love Ferrer, but there's no way he's making the final of the USO. No way. Based on watching him play yesterday, I think he'll be pushed to defend his semi's points from last year. I would never totally rule him out, you can't, but let me just say I think Andy has a better chance of winning the thing again than Ferrer has of making it beyond the semi's.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: US Open R3: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer « Reply #39 on: September 01, 2013, 01:44 PM »

It's not long since their last meeting which was a pretty close match - one break of serve each.

From todays Observer:
Now Murray has to face another Mayer, and the challenge shifts again. "Going from playing a serve-volleyer to a guy that plays at the back of the court, that can take a bit of time because the points develop completely differently," Murray says. "A majority of the points will be played from the back of the court, but I don't think it will be an issue.

"He's very tough, comes to the net a bit. He has a good slice backhand, but he hits it with two hands, which isn't how normally you're taught to play that shot. He has a very good feel up at the net, hits a lot of drop-shots. He's a pretty flat ball-striker and has huge, looping strokes. It can be tough to time your split step and know when he's going to make contact with the ball. He's caused a lot of guys problems over his career. I'll need to play well to beat him."
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: US Open R3: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer « Reply #40 on: September 01, 2013, 02:35 PM »

I'm looking forward to the match today. I think opponents like Mayer are good for Andy to use the variety he has in his game himself.
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: US Open R3: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer « Reply #41 on: September 01, 2013, 04:31 PM »

what time is andy playing today is it 6pm gmt
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: US Open R3: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer « Reply #42 on: September 01, 2013, 04:32 PM »

^ I think it should be round about then.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: US Open R3: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer « Reply #43 on: September 01, 2013, 04:44 PM »

Indeed, perfect timing for us Europeans. Can't wait to switch on the telly.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: US Open R3: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer « Reply #44 on: September 01, 2013, 04:46 PM »

^ Definitely a better time for us.  I haven't been watching up until now, and looking forward to this one.  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 34 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »