Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Andrey Kuznetsov, Saturday, Estimated time - 5:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Istomin in 3
Istomin in 4
Istomin in 5

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 Go Down Reply
Author

US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin

(Read 8210 times)
michelle
Seed

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #570 on: September 04, 2013, 08:00 AM »

I can only say that this is all much the same as last year.  I do not think we need to worry.
Totally agree and Djokovic has played the same, with the same drooling over his performance against a knackered or lesser opponent, and we know the outcome. Memories are short.
I was sorry for ProdigyE as lack of sleep can make everything seem bad, however I'm sure after some sleep everything will seem brighter.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #571 on: September 04, 2013, 08:33 AM »

Totally agree and Djokovic has played the same, with the same drooling over his performance against a knackered or lesser opponent, and we know the outcome. Memories are short.

I watched most of Djoko v Granollers yesterday evening, which the Serb won 6-3, 6-0, 6-0.  It told us nothing about Djokivic.  Granollers was truly awful.  I much prefer Andy getting a decent contest under his belt.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #572 on: September 04, 2013, 08:42 AM »

Those very one-sided score-lines are good for the ego of glory hunters, but it's true, they don't mean a great deal when it comes to the business end of the tournament.  Yes, he'll be fresher, but remember Fed's first round score at Wimbledon this year?  Didn't get him the trophy.

Kevin Mitchell's assessment seems fair, and it's great to have the kind of insight that can only come from a journalist who is present in the stands.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #573 on: September 04, 2013, 08:56 AM »

Well I got up to watch Andy's match last night, kind of thought he might drop a set, Istomin had nothing to lose and some of his hitting was ferocious.  Andy's lack of concentration in the tie break cost him but it was what he needed to get himself going.  It wasn't all as awful as people are making out he was playing some sublime tennis and his shot making is at times breathtaking.  It was interspersed with DF's and errors but everyone seems to be fixated with his back - he obviously has a problem which he manages but he was doing everything to keep himself warmed up, stretching etc and when Istomin took what felt like an eternity to return from a bathroom break just before the start of the 4th set Andy was up and on his feet going through his stretching.  He did what champions do found a way to win, sometimes people get so wrapped up about "he should be seeing off players like this with ease" they fail to see just how brilliant and individualistic his brand of tennis is - okay sometimes there is an inward groan at his consistency but the guy is most definitely the most skill full player out there. 
Wawrinka brings a different challenge and just because he beat him in the clay season (Andy's least favourite surface and suffering badly with his back) means nothing - Wawrinka will be facing the Wimbledon Champion am sure that means something.  However, it will require a step up but this is what Andy lives for the business end of a slam we have to trust he will be prepared and come out and give 110%. 
I also watched the borefest that wad Djoko v Granollers - Granollers at times looked like he was having trouble putting one foot in front of the other.  Saw Djoko's post match press where he was bigging himself up - is this something to do with the new guy in his team who has been brought in to give him the "Lendl" factor?

Anyway, onwards and upwards Andy is in the QF............
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #574 on: September 04, 2013, 09:02 AM »

Didn't get to watch the match,but delighted to hear he won.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #575 on: September 04, 2013, 09:09 AM »

Djokovic played players with no serves and weapons, Andy has played players with serve and weapons.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #576 on: September 04, 2013, 09:41 AM »

I couldn't stay up for the match but happened to wake up mid-way through the 4th set so watched on my ipad. Not too surprised that he lost a set - it can happen against big servers. Hope to catch the highlights later.

I'm not worried about his form. Last year at this stage he didn't seem too impressive but he improved by the time the SF and F came round. He'll know the risks Wawrinka poses so I'm sure he'll be in better form for that match.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #577 on: September 04, 2013, 09:47 AM »

Murray said after his match that he was glad he'd got through    so am I
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #578 on: September 04, 2013, 10:15 AM »

Thanks for Kev's report bbh loved this line: ' Denis Istomin was also left flapping like a wet duck in a hurricane after a good start against the enigmatic Scot'.  Didn't watch the match (though listened to last few games on five live when I woke up in night ) so will take Kev's report over prod's dismissal of Andy as woeful.  Just watched Andy's post match interview and he was saying he was stiff because it was so cold on court and conditions so different to previous days. That can't have helped his back if it is causing him problems.  Add in the swirling wind, an opponent on the rise and with nothing to lose and sounds like a difficult match.  But our Andy came through whereas Bird didn't.  And Andy know only too well not to underestimate Stan.  Let's hope he's no longer the Man after tomorrow.  cmon yeah cmon yeah cmon yeah
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #579 on: September 04, 2013, 10:28 AM »

Let's not forget that Andy's progress through the rounds at Wimbledon this summer wasn't exactly smooth or faultless.  I seem to recall that the eventual outcome was somewhat satisfactory...
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #580 on: September 04, 2013, 10:38 AM »

Let's not forget that Andy's progress through the rounds at Wimbledon this summer wasn't exactly smooth or faultless.  I seem to recall that the eventual outcome was somewhat satisfactory...

Beautifully put..........!!!
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #581 on: September 04, 2013, 10:39 AM »

Let's hope he's no longer the Man after tomorrow.  cmon yeah cmon yeah cmon yeah

Lets' hope he's Stan the Man with a plane ticket back to Switzerland!  Perhaps he and the Smug One can get a BOGOF from SwissAir?
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #582 on: September 04, 2013, 11:21 AM »

So far Andy's progress has been pretty similar to last years USO to be honest. The 4 set match versus Lopez last year was longer than many 5 setters. So he's in the last 8 being pretty inconsistent overall but at least he's there. I think he'll be 100% focussed versus Stan and will win in 3.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #583 on: September 04, 2013, 11:43 AM »

Beautifully put..........!!!

Why thank you kind sir...
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #584 on: September 04, 2013, 11:46 AM »

Stayed up to watch it last night and it wasn't as bad as some are making out. He should have won that first set but so what. He still played some impressive tennis if a little laboured at times. One shot in the fourth set was described by the commentary as one of the best they had ever seen from Andy! Another one to add to his wonder shots. He's in the quarters and that's all that matters.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »