Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Murray in 3
Murray in 4
Murray in 5
Istomin in 3
Istomin in 4
Istomin in 5

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 Go Down Reply
Author

US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin

(Read 9574 times)
caroline
Seed

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #585 on: September 04, 2013, 12:13 PM »

Missed Andy's match last night was way to late for me.Am so glad to see he won thought he might do it in three but it took four sets. Never mind he won and that's all that maters. Stan up next Andy will be ready from the off in that match. Could be a 4 even 5 setter. Am going to sit down now and watch the replay of Andy's match against Istomin on Eurosport
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #586 on: September 04, 2013, 12:21 PM »

Watched the match this morning. It was too late to stay up. But glad Andy won though at times he looked a bit grumpy, I think he was not happy about some line calls. He won and that's what matters. He will have a hard match against Stan who has been playing well. I bet he is glad to be rid of Smugfed and be judged on his own performance. Well done Andy another round crossed off.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #587 on: September 04, 2013, 12:39 PM »

Lets' hope he's Stan the Man with a plane ticket back to Switzerland!  Perhaps he and the Smug One can get a BOGOF from SwissAir?
nice one mp
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #588 on: September 04, 2013, 12:42 PM »

I've seen most of the match now, and all I really want to know is where they got the umpire from. He was useless, worse than useless. I know they do a tough job, I know they are required to make difficult decisions very quickly, but a lot of his decisions were utterly wrong. Andy did really well to not get very, very angry more than once. When Andy got annoyed the umpire looked at him as if he was wondering what Andy was talking about. That says it all.

As for the match, a few points here and there and it would have been straight sets, simple as that. The conditions weren't easy, the officiating was woeful and the opponent put up a fight for a while, but Andy came through. That's all that should matter at this point. I actually take my hat off to Istomin for doing himself justice on Ashe and not rolling over, but Andy was tougher and simply better, when it really counted.

On balance I think Andy is playing better than last year to be honest. No one plays perfect tennis all the time in the majors. All of them will have difficult moments. It just feels to me like Andy has moved up through the gears nicely, but also been able to find that extra level when he has needed it. I can't honestly say that I've felt the need to really panic yet, albeit in the first set against F. Mayer Andy's FSP was concerning, but I think that was due to the conditions more than anything. Thereafter it picked up. Today it was pretty good as I recall. I just think Andy has been tested once or twice, but he's come through. At present there is no reason to think that doesn't bode well for him.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #589 on: September 04, 2013, 12:58 PM »

Another objective, well balanced post from teejay!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #590 on: September 04, 2013, 01:07 PM »

Another objective, well balanced post from teejay!

Ta BN. Oh, silly me, is that a bit of sarcasm in there. Really mature, but good for you if it helps.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #591 on: September 04, 2013, 01:13 PM »

Andy Murray ‏@andy_murray 7h

I hit the luckiest tennis shot of my life this evening #shank #grease but what is the saying about luck and working hard?
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #592 on: September 04, 2013, 01:17 PM »

Ta BN. Oh, silly me, is that a bit of sarcasm in there. Really mature, but good for you if it helps.

Try to ignore the little twerp. I try to. I always appreciate your posts. They are invariably thoughtful, considered and balanced. Not too mention benefiting immeasurably from not being written in the heat of the moment. Suffice to say if you wrote that Murray played a dire match I would listen and take it on board.

No I am not being sarcastic......!!!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #593 on: September 04, 2013, 01:22 PM »

Try to ignore the little twerp. I try to. I always appreciate your posts. They are invariably thoughtful, considered and balanced. Not too mention benefiting immeasurably from not being written in the heat of the moment. Suffice to say if you wrote that Murray played a dire match I would listen and take it on board.

No I am not being sarcastic......!!!

Thanks Masaka, much appreciated.

Fingers crossed I won't have to say Andy played a dire match, but believe me, if I had to I would say it, after giving the matter some thought. Smile.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #594 on: September 04, 2013, 02:33 PM »

Thanks Teejay for your report.  I found the match hard to watch, I kept wondering what Andy was thinking, like what do I have to do to beat this guy, like all the lost rallies and shots to the corner that Andy couldn't get.  Plus it was cold 67 degrees and the wind around 17 mph.  So good on Andy, I hope his interview is on MW somewhere as they shut it down just before the oncourt interview....would love to hear what Andy had to say.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #595 on: September 04, 2013, 02:46 PM »

Recorded and watched this morning.

Lots of junking and grinding, but job done and that's all that matters.

Really liked Istomin's attitude. goodjob

A few crazy shots from Andy. Some worked out, like this one...

.. and some didn't, like this one....

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #596 on: September 04, 2013, 02:49 PM »

..I hope his interview is on MW somewhere as they shut it down just before the oncourt interview....would love to hear what Andy had to say.

I missed it too, Apollo. Here it is (funny when BG mentioned Llendl getting out of his seat in the 3rd, and Andy said he must have been going to the toilet. Very Happy)

IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #597 on: September 04, 2013, 03:27 PM »

Thanks Linda! Liked how BG ended the interview with "your defending champion..."
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #598 on: September 04, 2013, 04:27 PM »

Thanks Linda! Liked how BG ended the interview with "your defending champion..."
Didn't like the hint of a limp, though.  Blisters again?
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: US Open R4: Andy Murray vs Denis Istomin « Reply #599 on: September 04, 2013, 04:28 PM »

Was Andy's curling loft shot here that Istomin volleyed going out?

I think I would have let than one  bounce before hitting it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »