Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: So who's up for a semi-final spot again Nole or Mikhail?
That other Swiss maestro in 3 (as in 2008) Crying or Very sad ? - 6 (11.3%)
Someone's aiming for the Swiss no.1 position - Stan in 4? - 2 (3.8%)
No Australian Open déjà vu here - Stan takes it in 5? - 0 (0%)
Head hanging, back pulling and yelling aside, Andy takes this in 3? - 13 (24.5%)
Andy keeps Stans hoodoo going by not letting him get any further in 4? - 25 (47.2%)
The critics are poised but Andy hangs tough and fights it out in 5 - semi final here we come!? - 7 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 53

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 ... 85 Go Down Reply
Author

USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka

(Read 15389 times)
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1155 on: September 06, 2013, 10:46 PM »

Darren Cahill's and Mac's takes on Andy's loss,as told to Kevin Mitchell-both very supportive of Andy Smile

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/sep/06/andy-murray-us-open-exit
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1156 on: September 06, 2013, 10:48 PM »

Now that I like. Murray's 73rd. Sums up the daftness of some folks overreactions. He has been running on empty seemingly for a while. There is a bit of corrosion in the engine and the electrics are buggered. He needs a bit of time in the garage, a thorough MOT, and a period of gentle running in. Then he should be hurtling down the motorway towards the AO 2014 in full working order again. Winning those slams hasn't come without cost. The final demand  has just come in, and has had to be paid.

I doubt very much that in spite of what he was saying he hasn't been trying to work as hard as usual. I imagine his mind and body simply reached the point of saying "sod off". The Murray that his fan's appear to know probably just kept trying.  I know from my own experience just how frustrating it is where no matter how hard you try, you can't get out of first gear. That's what it seemed like yesterday.

I could not agree more Masaka. Great post.

To be honest I think we have been blessed with Andy. He reached the final at Wimbledon last year and then beat the world 1 and 2 back to back to win the Olympics. I know some will swear the Olympics is not a slam, but did Andy look like he considered it as less important in the context of his career?

That Olympics win must have put the pressure on to Andy for the USO last year. Well, he handled it, found a way through some tough situations and won. Knew he would Smile.

In the very next slam Andy made the final again, and soon after won his 9th Masters title.

The clay season was tough, we know that, but Andy rebounded by doing the Queen's/Wimbledon double. Based on how he played at Queen's, with joy and real purpose, his winning Wimbledon was the closest thing I have seen Andy get to an inevitability. That golden trophy may as well have had his name on it before a ball had been struck, but he still got it done, and how!

Given all of that it's no wonder Andy is struggling a little now. It's just a shame he hit the wall, so to speak, in a slam, but in a way maybe it was always going to happen that way.

It seems to me that the worst thing Andy could do now is get into a state about it. It's happened, dwelling on it won't change it. He also needs to focus on what he has acheived over the last year or so, because that alone will tell him this is a blip. The fact that he made yet another quarter final of a slam when he was struggling to find his best level of play tells you everything about him too.

Andy is not done yet. I just feel that he might need to break the rest of this year down a bit, to set himself some targets. One might be to win Japan or maybe Shanghai again. I think if he can set himself some acheivable goals it will give him confidence again and help to motivate him, if that is an issue - I don't doubt it is. I would be surprised in a way if it wasn't. Then maybe he can look to the WTF or something. I think he could do well there.

I just feel if he can break the end of this year down, set some targets for himself, he will then be able to re-focus more clearly in 2014.

IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1157 on: September 06, 2013, 10:55 PM »

I think it is simply that he just didn't have the effort available to give. It's not that he wasn't trying. More that he simply couldn't.  Warwinka isn't that good a player. If he was he would have more than 4 career singles titles To his credit, and those are only 250's. Murray has achieved more than that this year alone.

He tried in the first set - saved 5 set points - but when the tank is empty, no matter how hard you try, it is hopeless.    Anyone who has followed Andy's career should know how he feels about losing.    He was just not able, for whatever reason, to give any more.    He is not Nadal, or Djokovic or Joe Bloggs.    He is Andy Murray - he is different - and I thank the lord for that.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1158 on: September 07, 2013, 12:07 AM »

I don't think that his thirst for majors has been quenched at all. I think in the light of what we know post yesterday, he has simply crashed mentally and physically. A mini breakdown if you like.

Let's look at the past 15 months.

July 2012 - he suffers the most devastating loss of his career at the hands of Federer at Wimbledon. The lowest of the low.
August 2012 - He defeats the self same Federer, on the self same court to win the Olympic Gold. The highest of the high, coupled with all the intense emotion of the home Olympic games.
September 2012 - He defeats the World No 1, to achieve his greatest ambition. The highest of the high.
Jan 2013 - He discovers one of his closest friends has got cancer. He deals with the major high of beating Federer in a Grand Slam for the first time, and is runner up in another Grand Slam final.
March 2013 - He wins his first Masters in over a year - No 9 (remind me again how many Del Potro and Berdych have got between them - 1.
March 2013 to May 2013 - He has to contend with a back injury, having to miss the French Open, and a really crappy clay court season because of the injury.
June 2013 - The grass court season, with all the attendant pressure the nation starts to put on him, ever year. He delivers magnificently by wining Queen's, together with all the emotion of the Rally for Cancer.
July 2013 - He achieves another lifetime's ambition, and delivers to a desperate nation the trophy it has been craving for the past 77 years. As it was put so eloquently "becoming the first Brit to win Wimbledon in short trousers".

Even on holiday he can't get a break the press are still hounding him.

August 2013 - the first cracks start to appear as demonstrated by his performances at Toronto and Cincinnati.
Sept 2013 - He crashes at the US Open.

Murray has always appeared to be a complex soul, not surprising given his history.  He has obviously been struggling with it all. The only really puzzling thing is how the heck he has managed to keep it together for as long as he has. As people have said, it took Djokovic 3 years to get his second slam. Del Potro hasn't managed it yet. Murray pulled it off less than a year later.

Rather than condemning the lad we should all be feeling wassaks for not having the sense to realise what he was going through. Hopefully the lad can be given some time to get his head together, and get some major league TLC from his nearest and dearest. If he plays Davies Cup great, it might do him good to spend some time as part of a team again.  If he can't manage it fine. He needs time to retrench, retreat and rearm - mentally as well as physically.  The lad will return one way or another. I doubt he is quite ready to throw in the towel yet.

Well said Masaka! And any one thinkinghe didn't care yesterday - would he have been yelling at himself so much if he really didn't care?
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1159 on: September 07, 2013, 12:10 AM »

There is one thing i would like to add, as flat as his performance was last night, and with the news articles written today the general concensus being he wasn't injured but rather him admitting that he hadn't trained as hard as usual recently, that he is mentally exhausted from his massive surge in the past few years, especially the last few months, there is one thing that has been overlooked by some, and that is with all that going on he still managed to make a 1/4 final of a slam.

Quite - for many players to do so once would be the highlight of their year - and it's not so long since such an event was cause for a national outbreak of celebration. We have got so used to Andy's success we are in danger of forgetting what an achievement his successes are!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1160 on: September 07, 2013, 12:22 AM »

Um Teejay, read in midst of this thread you have your voice back - can you kid on you don't when Andy plays - he seems to do better when you can't speak  :p
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1161 on: September 07, 2013, 02:53 AM »

Darren Cahill's and Mac's takes on Andy's loss,as told to Kevin Mitchell-both very supportive of Andy Smile

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/sep/06/andy-murray-us-open-exit

That's a great article, thanks Dani. Wise words from wise men.

The Wimbledon trophy was Andy's personal Holy Grail.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1162 on: September 07, 2013, 03:00 AM »

Dearie me, Joseph. Couldn't you have at least shaved before meeting Andy?

Your moobles are in dire need of one.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1163 on: September 07, 2013, 03:05 AM »

Quick inform masaka

secret service agent
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1164 on: September 07, 2013, 03:14 AM »

As long as your hoovered, made the tea, done the dusting, made the bed,emptied the dishwasher(if applicable)yer ok.

Just so long as you've cut the grass, put out the garbage, serviced the car, fixed the [insert household issue here], packed away the clean laundry, put the dirty laundry in the laundry basket, and put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher (if applicable)yer ok.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1165 on: September 07, 2013, 03:30 AM »

Dearie me, Joseph. Couldn't you have at least shaved before meeting Andy?

Your moobles are in dire need of one.
]

#mybad
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1166 on: September 07, 2013, 07:36 AM »

I don't think that his thirst for majors has been quenched at all. I think in the light of what we know post yesterday, he has simply crashed mentally and physically. A mini breakdown if you like.

Let's look at the past 15 months.

July 2012 - he suffers the most devastating loss of his career at the hands of Federer at Wimbledon. The lowest of the low.
August 2012 - He defeats the self same Federer, on the self same court to win the Olympic Gold. The highest of the high, coupled with all the intense emotion of the home Olympic games.
September 2012 - He defeats the World No 1, to achieve his greatest ambition. The highest of the high.
Jan 2013 - He discovers one of his closest friends has got cancer. He deals with the major high of beating Federer in a Grand Slam for the first time, and is runner up in another Grand Slam final.
March 2013 - He wins his first Masters in over a year - No 9 (remind me again how many Del Potro and Berdych have got between them - 1.
March 2013 to May 2013 - He has to contend with a back injury, having to miss the French Open, and a really crappy clay court season because of the injury.
June 2013 - The grass court season, with all the attendant pressure the nation starts to put on him, ever year. He delivers magnificently by wining Queen's, together with all the emotion of the Rally for Cancer.
July 2013 - He achieves another lifetime's ambition, and delivers to a desperate nation the trophy it has been craving for the past 77 years. As it was put so eloquently "becoming the first Brit to win Wimbledon in short trousers".

Even on holiday he can't get a break the press are still hounding him.

August 2013 - the first cracks start to appear as demonstrated by his performances at Toronto and Cincinnati.
Sept 2013 - He crashes at the US Open.

Murray has always appeared to be a complex soul, not surprising given his history.  He has obviously been struggling with it all. The only really puzzling thing is how the heck he has managed to keep it together for as long as he has. As people have said, it took Djokovic 3 years to get his second slam. Del Potro hasn't managed it yet. Murray pulled it off less than a year later.

Rather than condemning the lad we should all be feeling wassaks for not having the sense to realise what he was going through. Hopefully the lad can be given some time to get his head together, and get some major league TLC from his nearest and dearest. If he plays Davies Cup great, it might do him good to spend some time as part of a team again.  If he can't manage it fine. He needs time to retrench, retreat and rearm - mentally as well as physically.  The lad will return one way or another. I doubt he is quite ready to throw in the towel yet.

Absolutely, Masaka.  It is a pity that some of the other people in this country cannot look at it this way, but they are like that over all our sportsmen and women.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1167 on: September 07, 2013, 08:35 AM »

Masaka: picking up on one of your posts, I don't think you should underestimate Stan. Some players peak late and it looks like a new coach who is having something of a lendl effect on him and coming out of the goat's shadow have taken him to a new level.  He played a really good game against Andy and knew how to push Andy back into his old defensive mode on a day that Andy's defences were in effect down.  But absolutely agree with your take on Andy himself.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1168 on: September 07, 2013, 12:29 PM »

Masaka: picking up on one of your posts, I don't think you should underestimate Stan. Some players peak late and it looks like a new coach who is having something of a lendl effect on him and coming out of the goat's shadow have taken him to a new level.  He played a really good game against Andy and knew how to push Andy back into his old defensive mode on a day that Andy's defences were in effect down.  But absolutely agree with your take on Andy himself.

I agree with you in part, but how much of the win was due to the fact that Warwrinka had picked up on how Murray was feeling, which made it easier to face him. I also think spoilt brat Federer would have been ratting Murray out. I know people can peak later, but even so I would have expecte Warwinka to have clocked up more than 4 * 250's by now. He is 28. He is leaving it a bit late to have a run.

I will admit it - I hope that he goes out tonight against Djokovic. Partly because I think Djokovic is the only one who has got a hope in hell against Kneedal, but mainly because I don't want him to get any ideas above his station. Not to mention I don't want anyone who has beaten Murray to win. Yes that is small minded and mean spirited of me, and I deserve to be called out on it.   I should also be very ashamed of myself. However I am not sure I am.....!!!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1169 on: September 07, 2013, 12:31 PM »

On the other hand some might see it as more complimentrary to Andy if Djokovic also lost to Wawrinka. Just a thought ...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 ... 85 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »