Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: So who's up for a semi-final spot again Nole or Mikhail?
That other Swiss maestro in 3 (as in 2008) Crying or Very sad ? - 6 (11.3%)
Someone's aiming for the Swiss no.1 position - Stan in 4? - 2 (3.8%)
No Australian Open déjà vu here - Stan takes it in 5? - 0 (0%)
Head hanging, back pulling and yelling aside, Andy takes this in 3? - 13 (24.5%)
Andy keeps Stans hoodoo going by not letting him get any further in 4? - 25 (47.2%)
The critics are poised but Andy hangs tough and fights it out in 5 - semi final here we come!? - 7 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 53

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 ... 85 Go Down Reply
Author

USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka

(Read 17037 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1185 on: September 07, 2013, 01:20 PM »

Obviously Nadal is a more successful player; whether he is a more talented player than Andy is another question.  His sheer will to win is phenomenal.

Indeed, Nadal is such a driving force in men's tennis with his out of this world fight, determination and perseverance that it's difficult not to see him as perhaps one of the greatest of all time. He definitely deserves more respect from people on here.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1186 on: September 07, 2013, 01:23 PM »

This Kneedal **** is getting boring, change it or you're not going to be taken seriously by anyone.

Wrong Gangsta.    You find it boring.    I don't.    You won't take Masaka seriously unless she does as you say.     I will.     
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1187 on: September 07, 2013, 01:24 PM »

Wrong Gangsta.    You find it boring.    I don't.    You won't take Masaka seriously unless she does as you say.     I will.     

You only don't find it boring because you know Nadal owns Andy so by being bitter and nasty about Nadal it makes you feel better about their H2H/matches.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1188 on: September 07, 2013, 01:31 PM »

Obviously Nadal is a more successful player; whether he is a more talented player than Andy is another question.  His sheer will to win is phenomenal.

Both are talented, Nadal has fulfilled his talent more than Andy has.

Nothing bad about that tho
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1189 on: September 07, 2013, 01:40 PM »

Yes he is a better player than Andy, he has 12 Slams to his name, an olympic gold, Career Grand Slam etc. The idiot level answer would be what you have been throwing around for a few weeks - about NADAL (not Kneedal ignorant fool) doping. Which I'm pretty sure he hasn't been doing.

Gangsta, I'm sure you remember that a few months back, we had a nasty argument about Rafa and you felt that he was a cheat and doping. What's with the change in opinion now?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1190 on: September 07, 2013, 01:43 PM »

Gangsta, I'm sure you remember that a few months back, we had a nasty argument about Rafa and you felt that he was a cheat and doping. What's with the change in opinion now.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Gangsta exposed.

Loooooooooooooooooooooool
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1191 on: September 07, 2013, 01:44 PM »

It seems to me that Stan's issue before was Federer, being basically seen as nothing more than 'the other Swiss player' and being in Federer's shadow. I don't think it is coincidence at all that Stan's emergence this year - he did play well in Australia and really took it to Djokovic, we should remember that, and he was good on the clay too - has come just as Federer's decline has become obvious.

Stan did play well against Andy. If he'd beaten one of the others like that I'd have been thrilled for him, but it was against Andy so.... However, to my mind Andy did help him in a way, by not playing at his best, for reasons I'm not convinced are entirely his fault. A match against Stan would have been a challenge for a fresh Andy, all the pundits predicted it being four or five sets anyway. A match against Stan for a clearly mentally jaded Andy was always going to be a struggle, which is how it proved.

Andy and Stan have played tough matches before. I remember their Wimbledon classic and the Olympics match was less simple, as I recall, than the scoreline suggested. It's interesting though, not one of the pundits thought Andy would lose the other day. It may sound mean, I really don't mean it that way, but I do feel a fresh Andy would have found a way on Thursday, either in four or five. I think the pundits thought something similar to be honest, which is probably why they all looked stunned. Rusdedski looked like someone had thumped him.

I'd love Stan to win the USO, because it would show how well he is playing, but I don't think he will. I'm not convinced he will beat Djokovic to be honest, because I suspect there will be some reaction to his win over Andy, and even if he does beat Djokovic I doubt he would beat Nadal as well.

The question is whether Stan can maintain his current form. If he can he'll be dangerous for everyone, not just Andy. I don't see him winning slams to be honest, but I could see him shaking draws up for a while, if he can keep going. We'll see.

What I'm not sure of is how much Stan's progress has any bearing on Andy. Most people seem to realise that Andy was way below his best. Even McEnroe has been quick to be understanding and explain his view on it. Anyone who doesn't get that Andy wasn't right, whether mentally or physically, just doesn't follow the sport. That doesn't take away from Stan's achievement one bit, because you can only look after your own side of the net, but it does set it in context.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1192 on: September 07, 2013, 01:44 PM »

Gangsta, I'm sure you remember that a few months back, we had a nasty argument about Rafa and you felt that he was a cheat and doping. What's with the change in opinion now.

I didn't say he was a cheat and doping, I said I thought he was quite boring winning everything. But as regards to doping and cheating, I don't think he is because he hasn't been acting in any way to suggest he has and he's been playing very well, that in its self means that the chances of him cheating is very slim.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1193 on: September 07, 2013, 01:45 PM »

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Gangsta exposed.

Loooooooooooooooooooooool

Ha ha, it is actually a very genuine question. Wink
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1194 on: September 07, 2013, 01:50 PM »

I didn't say he was a cheat and doping, I said I thought he was quite boring winning everything. But as regards to doping and cheating, I don't think he is because he hasn't been acting in any way to suggest he has and he's been playing very well, that in its self means that the chances of him cheating is very slim.

Oh, please!

I do remember very well that you said something like, "I hope Nadal gets caught cheating otherwise all his fans would be like walking zombies".
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1195 on: September 07, 2013, 01:53 PM »

Why so bitter? Nadal is a better player than Andy naturally.

Certainly he is a better player on clay.
You'd have a touch job convincing me he's a better player anywhere else though.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1196 on: September 07, 2013, 01:59 PM »

I can't say one way or the other whether Nadal has been doping, what I cannot accept is that if he had 7 months off playing no tennis, that he could come back playing as he has. My suspicion is that his knees were not as bad as was said, and that he spent a lot of time on the court working on his forehand, serve etc, which meant he has come back fresh and with a new arsenal of shots. It will take the other top players a little while to start reading his game and working out their strategy against him.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1197 on: September 07, 2013, 01:59 PM »

Oh, please!

I do remember very well that you said something like, "I hope Nadal gets caught cheating otherwise all his fans would be like walking zombies".

The clay season is a dull time for me, I say things I regret. i also remember saying during the Murray-Simon match in Madrid that I was actually a Rafa fan to you.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1198 on: September 07, 2013, 02:04 PM »

The clay season is a dull time for me, I say things I regret. i also remember saying during the Murray-Simon match in Madrid that I was actually a Rafa fan to you.

So? That makes it worse. You were a Rafa fan and you accused him of cheating and doping. And when he won RG, you should have been happy (if you truly were a Rafa fan) instead of moaning and insulting. And now you say that you are a Rafa fan and you don't think he's a cheat and insult others who think otherwise. What is all this? :P
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1199 on: September 07, 2013, 02:08 PM »

It seems to me that Stan's issue before was Federer, being basically seen as nothing more than 'the other Swiss player' and being in Federer's shadow. I don't think it is coincidence at all that Stan's emergence this year - he did play well in Australia and really took it to Djokovic, we should remember that, and he was good on the clay too - has come just as Federer's decline has become obvious.

Stan did play well against Andy. If he'd beaten one of the others like that I'd have been thrilled for him, but it was against Andy so.... However, to my mind Andy did help him in a way, by not playing at his best, for reasons I'm not convinced are entirely his fault. A match against Stan would have been a challenge for a fresh Andy, all the pundits predicted it being four or five sets anyway. A match against Stan for a clearly mentally jaded Andy was always going to be a struggle, which is how it proved.

Andy and Stan have played tough matches before. I remember their Wimbledon classic and the Olympics match was less simple, as I recall, than the scoreline suggested. It's interesting though, not one of the pundits thought Andy would lose the other day. It may sound mean, I really don't mean it that way, but I do feel a fresh Andy would have found a way on Thursday, either in four or five. I think the pundits thought something similar to be honest, which is probably why they all looked stunned. Rusdedski looked like someone had thumped him.

I'd love Stan to win the USO, because it would show how well he is playing, but I don't think he will. I'm not convinced he will beat Djokovic to be honest, because I suspect there will be some reaction to his win over Andy, and even if he does beat Djokovic I doubt he would beat Nadal as well.

The question is whether Stan can maintain his current form. If he can he'll be dangerous for everyone, not just Andy. I don't see him winning slams to be honest, but I could see him shaking draws up for a while, if he can keep going. We'll see.

What I'm not sure of is how much Stan's progress has any bearing on Andy. Most people seem to realise that Andy was way below his best. Even McEnroe has been quick to be understanding and explain his view on it. Anyone who doesn't get that Andy wasn't right, whether mentally or physically, just doesn't follow the sport. That doesn't take away from Stan's achievement one bit, because you can only look after your own side of the net, but it does set it in context.

If Stan won this USO beating Berdych, Andy, Novak and Thugdal back to back, it would be one of the most difficult slam draws won in the history of Grand Slams.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 ... 85 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »