Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: So who's up for a semi-final spot again Nole or Mikhail?
That other Swiss maestro in 3 (as in 2008) Crying or Very sad ? - 6 (11.3%)
Someone's aiming for the Swiss no.1 position - Stan in 4? - 2 (3.8%)
No Australian Open déjà vu here - Stan takes it in 5? - 0 (0%)
Head hanging, back pulling and yelling aside, Andy takes this in 3? - 13 (24.5%)
Andy keeps Stans hoodoo going by not letting him get any further in 4? - 25 (47.2%)
The critics are poised but Andy hangs tough and fights it out in 5 - semi final here we come!? - 7 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 53

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 [84] 85 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka  (Read 13400 times)
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1245 on: September 07, 2013, 11:01 PM »

any comments from lendl on this ?   Given his appointment was specifically for slam results surely he owes some sort of explanation as to how he got it so disastrously wrong

Really?    To whom?     Note correct grammar folks.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1246 on: September 08, 2013, 11:09 AM »

any comments from lendl on this ?   Given his appointment was specifically for slam results surely he owes some sort of explanation as to how he got it so disastrously wrong
What kind of stupid comment is that? From what I've been hearing from other slam winners, it usually takes at least a year and sometimes 2 or 3 just to get used to being a Champion before you can win another! Andy has won two slams and Olympic Gold, all within a very short period and the imposition on his time has been immense with media and sponsors! Hitting balls with 100 fans......meeting God knows how many fans and having a personal chat and posing for photographs and signing autographs for each one at the Adidas shop in NY......not to mention all the tv shows and interviews and photoshoots he's expected to do! Then there's training and practice 8 hours a day 'every' day! He's only had 5 days off since Wimbledon and even then he couldn't escape the press! The poor guy must be physically and mentally exhausted and he's still suffering with the back problem too! Now if you can't understand that, then you can't be much of an Andy fan and I suggest you go and 'support' somebody else!
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1247 on: September 08, 2013, 11:49 AM »

What kind of stupid comment is that? From what I've been hearing from other slam winners, it usually takes at least a year and sometimes 2 or 3 just to get used to being a Champion before you can win another! Andy has won two slams and Olympic Gold, all within a very short period and the imposition on his time has been immense with media and sponsors! Hitting balls with 100 fans......meeting God knows how many fans and having a personal chat and posing for photographs and signing autographs for each one at the Adidas shop in NY......not to mention all the tv shows and interviews and photoshoots he's expected to do! Then there's training and practice 8 hours a day 'every' day! He's only had 5 days off since Wimbledon and even then he couldn't escape the press! The poor guy must be physically and mentally exhausted and he's still suffering with the back problem too! Now if you can't understand that, then you can't be much of an Andy fan and I suggest you go and 'support' somebody else!
Hear, hear.  He is the only player in the open era to reach the final of the next GS after winning his first.  He is the only one to have faced the No 1 in all his finals and the only one to win a GS against No 1 in less than a year after his first.  So we definitely should be very proud of him and not worry because he is not going to give up.  The comms. keep saying that Lendl will say this and that but that is not his style and that is one of the reasons he has stayed with Andy.   His other coaches tended to try and bully him and when he lost they berated him.  Lendl has said that achieves nothing and they just move on.  In an interview with him and Brad Gilbert he pointed that out when Brad said that Andy was a cheeky young who was disobedient and Lendl that he just saw a very talented young man who would go to the top.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1248 on: September 08, 2013, 12:01 PM »

^ Well said Tamila!
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1249 on: September 22, 2013, 12:28 AM »

saw this one again and didn't see back issues, was his back bothering him?
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1250 on: September 27, 2013, 10:50 AM »

In my opinion no. It just looks like an edge went off his game after winning Wimbledon. And that's all you need to start losing matches at this level. Stan was very close to beating Joker in the semis so it was a combination of being 5% off and playing a guy at the peak of his game.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1251 on: September 27, 2013, 12:03 PM »

saw this one again and didn't see back issues, was his back bothering him?

We don't know for sure, but I think so, in part. I'm sure some of it was post-Wimbledon mental fatigue, but I do think Andy's movement against Wawrinka was a bit off. He looked a bit stiff to me. He looked stiff against Flo Mayer too, his FSP was just 32% early on in that match, but he was able to hang in there. Against Stan he needed to be at his best and wasn't.

I don't mean any disrespect to Stan when I say Andy didn't seem fit to me. Stan has been playing well this year. We know that. I think Stan, quite rightly, took the chances presented to him, but at the same time I don't think a fully fit Andy would have presented those chances to the same degree.
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1252 on: September 27, 2013, 12:11 PM »

I thought his movement looked 100% throughout the tournament.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1253 on: September 27, 2013, 12:17 PM »

Does everybody who posts this tiresome **** actually think it's funny/clever, or are they operating at some kind of level of hilarious postmodern commenting irony that eludes me?

If it eludes you it eludes me as well.

I don't see any sense in the idea that if Andy loses it's Lendl's fault. Lendl doesn't tell Andy how to play. He also doesn't get the naughty chair and a big stick out when Andy loses.

Quarter finals in a slam was disappointing I suppose, but given that he'd won Wimbledon there was bound to be a reaction. Also, I don't care what anyone says, Andy was not physically right at the USO.

Given that Andy had reached the previous four finals of the majors he'd played, plus the Olympics as well, I don't see how people can criticise Lendl, or Andy for that matter. Andy, for what appears to me to have been more than one reason, was below his best at the USO. He's also simply not going to win every match he plays, but the fact is that he wins the vast majority, so it suggests he's getting something right.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1254 on: September 27, 2013, 12:18 PM »

I thought his movement looked 100% throughout the tournament.

Well you would. Personally I think you watch with your eyes closed.
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1255 on: September 27, 2013, 12:23 PM »

Well you would. Personally I think you watch with your eyes closed.

Nope that's not possible. But Andy's movement and his general physical condition looked pretty near perfect in that match and in preceding ones.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1256 on: September 27, 2013, 12:50 PM »

Nope that's not possible. But Andy's movement and his general physical condition looked pretty near perfect in that match and in preceding ones.

I'll do what the Prime Minister does and refer you to my previous comment. I can't be bothered to argue.
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1257 on: September 27, 2013, 12:51 PM »

In an interview with him and Brad Gilbert he pointed that out when Brad said that Andy was a cheeky young who was disobedient and Lendl that he just saw a very talented young man who would go to the top.

Theres an amusing snippet on youtube of Andy mouthing "f*****g tw**" to Gilbert after he lost a game versus Rafa at the AO. I think Andy was only 19 at the time but he had no problem mouthing off to one of the top coaches in the world.
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1258 on: September 27, 2013, 12:52 PM »

Here it is!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: USO 2013 QF: Murray vs Wawrinka « Reply #1259 on: September 27, 2013, 04:09 PM »

How do they know that Andy was cursing his coach - far more likely that he was cursing himself!

I'm with you Teejay - I thought there was definitely something physically wrong wih Andy at the US Open and also at the two preceding tournaments.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 [84] 85 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »