Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  USO R1: Murray vs. Llodra 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 57 Go Down Reply
Author

USO R1: Murray vs. Llodra

(Read 15475 times)
Elena
Seed

Re: USO R1: Murray vs. Llodra « Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 09:10 AM »

This was definitely the most entertaining game of the match.  Superb tennis, Llodra's tweener and Andy ending up falling over on his back!

I loved that match - and the interview afterwards - "I'm going out to get hammered!"
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: USO R1: Murray vs. Llodra « Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 11:25 AM »

Agreed, seems like some are just finding excuses to hate every opponent Andy has.
oh rubbish prod.  

according to what was said by BBC last night Andy is playing Monday (but it's just possible they meant the tournament proper starts Monday so wouldn't put too much store by that.  Not sure when we'll get Monday's schedule?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: USO R1: Murray vs. Llodra « Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 08:22 PM »

oh rubbish prod.   

according to what was said by BBC last night Andy is playing Monday (but it's just possible they meant the tournament proper starts Monday so wouldn't put too much store by that.  Not sure when we'll get Monday's schedule?
As reigning champion wouldn't Andy have the honour of play on the first day?  I'm sure it'll be announced well in advance on the tournie website anyway.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: USO R1: Murray vs. Llodra « Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 08:23 PM »

I think it's just Wimbledon that follows that procedure Aileen.  But you're right as qualies end today they might put Monday's schedule up tomorrow perhaps.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: USO R1: Murray vs. Llodra « Reply #34 on: August 23, 2013, 08:27 PM »

As reigning champion wouldn't Andy have the honour of play on the first day?  I'm sure it'll be announced well in advance on the tournie website anyway.

I dont think it quite works like that at USO.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: USO R1: Murray vs. Llodra « Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 08:32 PM »

I think it's just Wimbledon that follows that procedure Aileen.  But you're right as qualies end today they might put Monday's schedule up tomorrow perhaps.
I was wondering if it was just Wimbledon which did that.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: USO R1: Murray vs. Llodra « Reply #36 on: August 24, 2013, 01:35 AM »

Agreed, seems like some are just finding excuses to hate every opponent Andy has.
On the contrary.  It seems people are trying to find excuses not to hate him, because he's an entertaining player.  Sadly, the evidence is that he's an arse.  Being drawn against Andy is irrelevant.  Loads of tennis fans don't like him for the same reasons, or at the very least have strong reservations.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: USO R1: Murray vs. Llodra « Reply #37 on: August 24, 2013, 02:36 AM »

On the contrary.  It seems people are trying to find excuses not to hate him, because he's an entertaining player.  Sadly, the evidence is that he's an arse.  Being drawn against Andy is irrelevant.  Loads of tennis fans don't like him for the same reasons, or at the very least have strong reservations.
Why?  What else has he done that displeased people?  I'm not in any way condoning what he did, but, unless he's shown himself to be a dickhead either before or since, then it seems a bit sad to me to hold something a player said 18 months ago against him.

Anyway this thread is supposed to be about discussing the match from a tennis point of view, not a character assassination of Llodra.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: USO R1: Murray vs. Llodra « Reply #38 on: August 24, 2013, 10:09 AM »

Why?  What else has he done that displeased people?  I'm not in any way condoning what he did, but, unless he's shown himself to be a dickhead either before or since, then it seems a bit sad to me to hold something a player said 18 months ago against him.

Anyway this thread is supposed to be about discussing the match from a tennis point of view, not a character assassination of Llodra.

thumb up
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: USO R1: Murray vs. Llodra « Reply #39 on: August 24, 2013, 03:42 PM »

To be honest, all sarcasm aside, I personally think Llodra just said the wrong thing at the wrong time. Add in that journalists can and do put their own spin on things and it was probably made to sound worse than it ever was. We should know a thing or two about that sort of thing.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread, Andy starting to defend his title, my prediction is Andy in straight sets. Maybe with a wobble or two to start with, given that Andy could be a bit nervous, but I don't see Llodra causing him much trouble, if any at all.

cmonandy
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: USO R1: Murray vs. Llodra « Reply #40 on: August 24, 2013, 05:43 PM »

I'm not assassinating Llondra's character, so if you really want to stick to the topic, why pick a fight with something I'd not said. 

I was expecting to come back in here to find a discussion of the match, but as you've accused me of being all nasty and judgemental I feel obliged to defend myself, but anyone who has given a positive or negative opinion of his character, can't complain if someone else gives a view, even if it isn't the one you agree with.

I was pointing out that many tennis fans had reached that view regardless of whether or not they are Murray fans, and long before this particular match-up was announced.  Those are facts, and have nothing to do with my personal feelings towards him or what he said. 

All I said about him was that he's an arse, which is pretty tame considering, and fully takes into account that apart form his pathetic attempt as an apology, he's kept his nose clean and assumes his comments came from ignorance, not nastiness.  It also takes into account that he failed to give anything resembling an actual apology, or any understanding of what was wrong with what he'd said.  If he was regularly spouting similar language, I'd have used something much stronger.

My only point was that people should be allowed to say they don't like someone who was caught using racist and misogynistic language, without being branded as an obsessive fan looking for excuses to hate someone.  If people want to give him the benefit of the doubt - that's fine.  It supports the point that being one of Andy's opponents is irrelevant to whether or not people like him.  I'm not criticising anyone who likes him, or who doesn't think it's a big deal.  I'm supporting the right for people to have honest opinions.

As for the match, I hope it's a good, but fairly straightforward one for Andy.  Andy will be a bit nervous, but so will Llondra.  With a bit of luck, nerves will settle on both sides fairly quickly to provide some stuff a bit like we saw in Australia.  A similar score would be appreciated too.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: USO R1: Murray vs. Llodra « Reply #41 on: August 24, 2013, 05:52 PM »

I'm not assassinating Llondra's character, so if you really want to stick to the topic, why pick a fight with something I'd not said. 

I was expecting to come back in here to find a discussion of the match, but as you've accused me of being all nasty and judgemental I feel obliged to defend myself, but anyone who has given a positive or negative opinion of his character, can't complain if someone else gives a view, even if it isn't the one you agree with.

I was pointing out that many tennis fans had reached that view regardless of whether or not they are Murray fans, and long before this particular match-up was announced.  Those are facts, and have nothing to do with my personal feelings towards him or what he said. 

All I said about him was that he's an arse, which is pretty tame considering, and fully takes into account that apart form his pathetic attempt as an apology, he's kept his nose clean and assumes his comments came from ignorance, not nastiness.  It also takes into account that he failed to give anything resembling an actual apology, or any understanding of what was wrong with what he'd said.  If he was regularly spouting similar language, I'd have used something much stronger.

My only point was that people should be allowed to say they don't like someone who was caught using racist and misogynistic language, without being branded as an obsessive fan looking for excuses to hate someone.  If people want to give him the benefit of the doubt - that's fine.  It supports the point that being one of Andy's opponents is irrelevant to whether or not people like him.  I'm not criticising anyone who likes him, or who doesn't think it's a big deal.  I'm supporting the right for people to have honest opinions.

As for the match, I hope it's a good, but fairly straightforward one for Andy.  Andy will be a bit nervous, but so will Llondra.  With a bit of luck, nerves will settle on both sides fairly quickly to provide some stuff a bit like we saw in Australia.  A similar score would be appreciated too.

lol Settle down girl.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: USO R1: Murray vs. Llodra « Reply #42 on: August 24, 2013, 07:23 PM »

Sparkle: 'My only point was that people should be allowed to say they don't like someone who was caught using racist and misogynistic language, without being branded as an obsessive fan looking for excuses to hate someone.  If people want to give him the benefit of the doubt - that's fine.  It supports the point that being one of Andy's opponents is irrelevant to whether or not people like him.  I'm not criticising anyone who likes him, or who doesn't think it's a big deal.  I'm supporting the right for people to have honest opinions.'

I'm with you Sparkle and less of the David Cameron sexist put-down if you please gangsta   Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: USO R1: Murray vs. Llodra « Reply #43 on: August 24, 2013, 07:40 PM »

Llodra isn't new to all kinds of controversy, and he's already been accused of racist comments in the past.
The woman in the crowd had her trip paid for to Indian Wells this year by the tournament director as an apology for last year. Llodra had refused to phone her personally at the time, but later sent a hand-written apology and a t-shirt.

Here he is relieving himself into a waterbottle on court. Notice there's a young ballgirl standing right next to him. This was at a Davis Cup match earlier this year. Classy.

[ Last edit by scotnadian August 24, 2013, 07:44 PM ] IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: USO R1: Murray vs. Llodra « Reply #44 on: August 24, 2013, 08:38 PM »

Day 1 schedule is out... Rafa and Roger on Ashe. No Murray.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 57 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »