Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  USO R4 : Murray v Raonic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Murray v Raonic
3-0 Andy - 11 (22.9%)
3-1 Andy - 26 (54.2%)
3-2 Andy - 7 (14.6%)
3-0 Raonic - 0 (0%)
3-1 Raonic - 2 (4.2%)
3-2 Raonic - 2 (4.2%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 59 Go Down Reply
Author

USO R4 : Murray v Raonic

(Read 13423 times)
sickboy1888
Junior

USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « on: September 02, 2012, 12:51 AM »

Wow just watched Raonic play some superb tennis there to beat Blake.Andy is so going to have to come to court with his A Game to beat this guy.Correct me if Im wrong but I dont think Andy has ever lost to anyone in a Grand Slam younger than himself ( i know Nole is 7 days younger but you know what I mean).

Would set a dangerous precedent if he was to go out to younger players in GS.This is a big game for him.Needs to play so much better than today

On the plus side if Andy can rediscover some of his summer form then he would be too strong for Raonic.

I say Andy in 5  yay
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 02:47 AM »

Andy may have lost against Raonic in Barcelona (where we now know he was carrying a back problem), but the match was a long one - long enough for Andy to have sussed out a few things about Raonic's game, and Andy's a quick learner.  I can't find the quote now, but Andy said recently that it was important to neutralise Raonic's serve as much as possible, but that even if his serve was on form there were "other options" that could be used against him, so it sounds like he and Lendl will definitely have a plan worked out.  Of course it'll be very helpful if Andy can find his own serve again.

People go on about Raonic's amazing serve, but the truth is that he's equally as capable of serving DFs as he is bullet-like aces, and those in the same match (30 aces in his R1 match, but 15 DFs).  It's like it's all or nothing with him.  Also his ground-strokes may have improved over the past year but he still lacks consistency and doesn't have the experience and tactical nous that Andy has.  I'm sure that after a day's rest Andy will be ready for this challenge - and his fans braced for possibly another roller-coaster.

Hopefully it'll be an evening match, but if not, at least the daytime temp is expected to drop by around 15F on Monday, making conditions much pleasanter although rain interruptions could be expected.

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 03:17 AM »

One match at a time and we are into the 4th round.

Personally, I don't like Raonic's style - reminds me too much of Sampras yawn

Not going to read anything into the H2H at all.

Andy will need to be at his snarling best though devil

* Murray vs Raonic 1.JPG (82.6 KB, 609x632 - viewed 810 times.)
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 03:31 AM »

Sampras was a S&V player; Raonic is a pure baseliner. Gamewise the difference between Raonic and Sampras is night and day. It's most frustrating when you read such irrelevant and inaccurate comparison and information.

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 03:36 AM »

It's all in the serve EJ.  And I did say reminds me.  I didn't say he was EXACTLY like him.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 04:12 AM »

Don't mean to go on about this Bevc, but most importantly it's not that important as we need to focus on Andy, but Pete's serve is very different than Raonic's. Pete's serve was all about placement, accuracy and precision. Ranoic is all about power and speed. He's a giant so he can use all his raw power and he does. Sampras was only 6'1" so his was always more on the technical side than just brute power. That's why I get frustrated because the comparison is not at all apples to apples but more apples to oranges even when it comes to serves. Let's just say Raonic is Raonic and Pete is Pete.  

Anyway, let's move to Andy vs Raonic. Night match will favour Andy. Andy will be prepared to take on Raonic. And if Andy is on, it will be tough to beat him. Of course the pressure is on Andy but it's nothing new to him. Andy will have to keep Raonic from hitting his forehand. That's on top of serving well and returning well. There's not much strategy involved really since the points will be rather short and a lot of free points off serve perhaps on both accounts. It will essentially come down to who's returning better and who's holding their end of the bargain better, but more importantly, who's playing the big points better. Andy is with most experience here so that will definitely favour him as well.

70%-30% Andy.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean September 02, 2012, 04:24 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 04:47 AM »

One match at a time and we are into the 4th round.

Personally, I don't like Raonic's style - reminds me too much of Sampras yawn

Not going to read anything into the H2H at all.

Andy will need to be at his snarling best though devil

Excellent pics as usual Bev. Very Happy  Personally I'd hate to cross swords with that Andy.  w00t
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 04:49 AM »

Let's just say Raonic is Raonic and Pete is Pete.  

And I dislike them both.

As for Andy's match, anything other than being up first is going to be bad for me. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 07:12 AM »

I'm with Bevc on this, Raonic and Sampras are similar to me in the enormous levels of boredom they induce yawn
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 08:01 AM »

Federer/Fish have got a good chance of getting the night match but hope Andy/Milos get it this time.

I rate Andy's chances as being pretty good - his returning should be able to handle Raonic's serve - Ferrer's never lost to him because of his good returning. Andy will have to serve well of course but he tends to bring his first serve when he really needs it in matches like this.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 08:39 AM »

I'm not very confident about this at all Frown
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 08:47 AM »

^ I'm not either john, but hey one match at a time. All depends, I think, on Andy being able to recover in time.
Don't think he'll get a night match either as Fisn 'n Fed will be playing Frown
But...gonna be cooler Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 08:59 AM »

I don't feel too confident either right now must admit.  But I'm sure Andy's team will do everything possible to get him physically fit again and of course they'll have a plan for playing him based on their last match and no doubt looking at tapes of how he's played at USO.  Unless Lendl can prevail on the authorities, I fear it will be another day match given the smugfed-fish match though as it's Labour Day that might change things as day time matches will get big crowds and coverage too.  And if weather is going to be cooler and wetter perhaps better to get it out of the way though a later match gives Andy more recovery time.  Also hope he's back on AA and not on LA again which favours the big servers I think.
Fortunately Andy was serving much better yesterday for the most part.

Raonic might not play the same game as Sampras but Sampras is his hero and anyone who chooses such a boring player as a hero is suspect in my book. Sampras nearly turned me off tennis and if it wasn't for Agassi I'd probably have stopped watching completely during his reign.

I agree this is an important match not just for now but for the future which makes me doubly  nervous  nervous
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 09:37 AM »

Hi All,

I wouldn't pick a fight with the Andy in the pic either. On the other hand Raonic looks like he has stubbed his toe. Ouch!

I have confidence that Andy and the team will do everything to get him ready for the next one. What worries me is how much Andy will have left to give without damaging his chances later. I don't want him losing to Raonic, mainly because I want Andy to win, but also because it would give the pundits something to beat Andy up with whilst bigging up Raonic. Getting ahead of ourselves and knowing I shouldn't, I also couldn't bear to see Andy get to another final and lose it because he has nothing left in the tank.

I don't think Barcelona is remotely relevant to this, especially if Andy recovers well. Andy was struggling with his back on the clay, but it was a tight best if three set match. It's different to a best of five, especially if Andy is fit.

I just hope it is cooler if Andy does have to play in the day, but I do think a night match on Ashe would be better for him.

I'm anxious for Andy, very anxious. My feeling is that he can do it, but I must admit that I'm scared silly for him. What I am certain of is that he will put up a fight.

IP Logged
Becky
Challenger Level

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 10:10 AM »

I was hoping someone would take out Raonic before this potential match but unfortunately Giraldo who had the best chance couldn't pull it off. Can't stand his boring 'tennis', and the constant hyping up of this guy.

Anyway, hopefully Andy will be able to recover physically and it will be cooler conditions in the next match.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 59 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »