Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  USO R4 : Murray v Raonic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Murray v Raonic
3-0 Andy - 11 (22.9%)
3-1 Andy - 26 (54.2%)
3-2 Andy - 7 (14.6%)
3-0 Raonic - 0 (0%)
3-1 Raonic - 2 (4.2%)
3-2 Raonic - 2 (4.2%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 59 Go Down Reply
Author

USO R4 : Murray v Raonic

(Read 14165 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #45 on: September 02, 2012, 03:30 PM »

And I dislike them both.

As for Andy's match, anything other than being up first is going to be bad for me. Rolling Eyes

And that's a personal opinion. What I am saying is very different than that. If you find both Sampras and Raonic boring because of their big serve then that's fine but  they are by no means the same type of players. And speaking of boring, there are a lot of fans outside this forum who find Andy boring and think he's a pusher. These are personal opinions, preferences etc. and there's nothing more to it. These are not accurate information or true by any means but when it comes to fans with different opinions/preferences, you simply can't win them all. So I am not trying that just so you know.  

And yes, Sampras is Raonic's hero but Sampras is also Federer's hero but that doesn't mean they all play the same game. No two people are alike; no two players alike. And you can't just go out there and model yourself after someone great. If it were that easy then we would have been flooded with clones. The serve is Raonic's talent because it comes easy to him. This is to his credit. Andy won't be able to adopt it no matter how much he wants it. In fact, had he had such a  good and reliable serve, he would have won yesterday fairly easily. Also, you can't win with your serve alone. If that were the case then Ivanisevic would have won multiple Slams. It takes a lot more than that and any genuine tennis fan would know this and should know this.

Personally I don't find any player boring so for that reason I don't find Raonic boring. I feel he poses a real danger to top players and he's a bit of a challenge to deal with, and we need to have variety as well. Can't be bothered with long points all the time so it's very refreshing to see short points as well. Certain match-ups can be boring but I can tell you right off the bat that, a lot of the fans who are not Andy fans are finding this upcoming match between Andy and Raonic mighty interesting.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean September 02, 2012, 03:36 PM ] IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #46 on: September 02, 2012, 03:41 PM »

Don't think it will be Andy's day tomorrow as recently a lot of Andy's defense skills have taken a back seat to trying to be more aggressive.

1) I worry about Andy's serve. He needs to serve over 60% to have any chance.

2) Don't stand too far back as Milos's first strike after the serve is just as good as the serve itself.

3) Come to the net as much as possible. In Barcelona Milos had time to set up his ground strokes on the clay. Murray must take all possible time away from him by coming in when Milos is on the defensive.

[ Last edit by craighateslife September 02, 2012, 03:57 PM ] IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #47 on: September 02, 2012, 04:31 PM »

Don't think it will be Andy's day tomorrow as recently a lot of Andy's defense skills have taken a back seat to trying to be more aggressive.

Andy's had a chance to size him up, and has the tools to put him down.  I'm not going to be cocky about this because Raonic is a natural at all-power service, but I believe Andy can dismantle him in the first set and that should be enough to cause a mental blow out.  Totally agree that defensive is the way for Andy to win, but I think he's just raring to give those well-established return skills a polish up.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #48 on: September 02, 2012, 04:34 PM »

Scotn I didn't think for a moment that you'd favour Raonic over Andy have no fear.
Johnk: no matter how many sofas you buy, nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.
Just watched the chat on Sky.  It reinforces my feeling that where they play tomorrow might matter more than when they play.   It's clear that LA or GS would favour Raonic's serve so I hope Lendl moves heaven and earth to get them on AA even if it means a day time match.  Best of course would be night time on AA but I really don't think that will happen unless it being Labour Day shakes things up so that evening matters less to the networks.  It sounds like Raonic has got steadily better during the tournament whereas Andy has vacillated.  It does make me  nervous  I must admit.  I so want Andy to win and Raonic to lose; not sure I'll have the strength to watch  pray
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #49 on: September 02, 2012, 05:02 PM »

Hi All,

I hate the fact that for the first time for ages I'm dreading one of Andy's matches. I think he can do it, if he recovers from yesterday all right, but I don't mind admitting I'm scared for him.

If he does it it really will be brilliant. I think the relief might just undo me, let alone Andy. If, God forbid, he doesn't do it, and I know it's too early to say it really, I hope he doesn't get down on himself and forget the progress he has made, because he really has. Whatever happens tomorrow I remain convinced that Andy is going to come through and win his maiden slam very soon. Oh, but I do hope he gets through tomorrow, and in a fit state to go on. pray

The thing is, if this was Wimbledon I wouldn't be so worried. I didn't worry so much when Andy had the tough match with Karlovic, or Baghdatis. I knew he would recover from the Ferrer match in time to play Tsonga. This one scares me though, because of the conditions. Reading around the internet, I can't understand why some don't see why Andy missing out on going to Miami could be significant. I've even had one argument with someone who thinks it is an excuse!

John can I hide behind the couch with you tomorrow?

I do this thing where stress becomes distress really quickly, which sounds pathetic, but there we are. On a scale of 1-10 my stress level is already around 15, so if things get tight tomorrow expect me to be in floods of tears before the end of the first set, seriously. I either want to hug Andy and tell him it will be all right, or I need someone to hug me lol.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #50 on: September 02, 2012, 05:29 PM »

Agree, it depends on: how well Andy has recovered, how well he serves, where they play, when they play.
Blake made a huge number of UEs yesterday, helped Raonic no end.
Andy certainly is in with a good chance over best of 5. Don't forget he has a positive record against huge big serving guys eg Isner, Karlovic, Delpotro.
If Andy is physically OK then he is too experienced, too wily and too damn good for Raonic.
So, some quiet, very lol, optimism from me Fingers crossed
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #51 on: September 02, 2012, 05:41 PM »

Mats Wilander was impressed with the way Andy came through a difficult match yesterday. He said he remained positive and was able to overcome the conditions and the wonderful play by Feli. He played the key points and therefore won the match. He felt that this would help him  and thinks he has the game to beat Milos. He picked Andy to win this tournament and still feels he can.
[ Last edit by michelle September 02, 2012, 06:05 PM ] IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #52 on: September 02, 2012, 05:50 PM »

Max Wilander was impressed with the way Andy came through a difficult match yesterday. He said he remained positive and was able to overcome the conditions and the wonderful play by Feli. He played the key points and therefore won the match. He felt that this would help him  and thinks he has the game to beat Milos. He picked Andy to win this tournament and still feels he can.
well Michelle I agree with Matts, I think you said at the begining you thought Andy would win I still do.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #53 on: September 02, 2012, 05:53 PM »

Hi All,

I hate the fact that for the first time for ages I'm dreading one of Andy's matches. I think he can do it, if he recovers from yesterday all right, but I don't mind admitting I'm scared for him.

If he does it it really will be brilliant. I think the relief might just undo me, let alone Andy. If, God forbid, he doesn't do it, and I know it's too early to say it really, I hope he doesn't get down on himself and forget the progress he has made, because he really has. Whatever happens tomorrow I remain convinced that Andy is going to come through and win his maiden slam very soon. Oh, but I do hope he gets through tomorrow, and in a fit state to go on. pray

The thing is, if this was Wimbledon I wouldn't be so worried. I didn't worry so much when Andy had the tough match with Karlovic, or Baghdatis. I knew he would recover from the Ferrer match in time to play Tsonga. This one scares me though, because of the conditions. Reading around the internet, I can't understand why some don't see why Andy missing out on going to Miami could be significant. I've even had one argument with someone who thinks it is an excuse!

John can I hide behind the couch with you tomorrow?

I do this thing where stress becomes distress really quickly, which sounds pathetic, but there we are. On a scale of 1-10 my stress level is already around 15, so if things get tight tomorrow expect me to be in floods of tears before the end of the first set, seriously. I either want to hug Andy and tell him it will be all right, or I need someone to hug me lol.

There's a pink couch and a green one.  I'll take the green one Very Happy lol   (  The pink one is a bit shredded,  a little bit )   My bad.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #54 on: September 02, 2012, 06:28 PM »

I can cope with a shredded couch John lol. My finger nails might be in a similar state by the time the match is over. I hope you've got a good strong shoulder I can lean on in stressful times. I feel sick already at the thought of tomorrow.

Re, the point about Wilander, I've just read an article where he says he thinks Andy can beat Raonic and go on to win the title. I don't always agree with Wilander, but I like the fact that he is sticking with Andy. In the past some have backed him and then ditched him at the first sign of a wobble. I like consistent people.

I'm still scared stiff for Andy, not because I don't think he can do it, but because I think he can. I'm just afraid of him not recovering well enough and losing the chance. Oh I hope his team can get him right. I'm trying to remind myself that he didn't look too bad when he was walking off yesterday.

I knew I should have got off my backside and gone to church this morning. Come on Boss, if there is any justice in the world, get Andy through this. I have a feeling I might have to promise not to swear any more just to swing the deal!
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #55 on: September 02, 2012, 06:30 PM »

The folks on MTf reckon Andy will get night session cos its labour day weeekend and want prime-time match during day ( which is obv FedGod- Vs fish) so fingers crossed Andy will play at night!
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #56 on: September 02, 2012, 06:55 PM »

Thing is Andy ALWAYS beats these big servers in Slams. Isner, Querrey, Karlovic etc. Its just a matter of time before he breaks the service. I guarantee Andy and his team have been studying all Raonics' service games in this tournament.

It was interesting to see how as the match progressed versus Blake 2 things happened. Raonic got tired and his ace count dropped dramatically. And secondly Blake began to start reading the serve and got a racquet on quite a lot of them. Andy is a far better returner than Blake. One break a set will do it. I really hope Andy gets this done as quickly as possible because he needs to be fresh for the later matches.

So Andy has got to stride on to the court as though he owns it and whip Raonic's ass. And after that he's got to beat him in a tennis match.. And he will!

Andy to win in 3.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #57 on: September 02, 2012, 07:00 PM »

The folks on MTf reckon Andy will get night session cos its labour day weeekend and want prime-time match during day ( which is obv FedGod- Vs fish) so fingers crossed Andy will play at night!

Yes agree. Cooler conditions will suit Andy just now and slow Raonic's serve slightly. Having said that in Raonic's first match in the heat of the day Raonic looked like a lobster. And he nearly lost the match in 5 sets.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #58 on: September 02, 2012, 07:33 PM »

The bookies have all but written off Raonic. Skybet have Andy as 2-7 ON. Raonic is 5-2 AGAINST.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: USO R4 : Murray v Raonic « Reply #59 on: September 02, 2012, 07:53 PM »

I had wondered whether it being Labour Day would change the pecking order in terms of which was the BIG match so fingers crossed.
tj - I found it extraordinary that the Sky comms hadn't thought for themselves that Andy's inability to spend his usual acclimatisation time in Miami could account for his not dealing with the heat and humidity as well as usual.  They discussed it today in the context of Andy having mentioned it as if it just hadn't occurred to them.  Honestly what are these people paid for?  search me
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 59 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »