Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  USO SF : Murray v Nadal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Murray v Nadal
Andy 3-0 - 2 (6.1%)
Andy 3-1 - 8 (24.2%)
Andy 3-2 - 10 (30.3%)
Rafa 3-0 - 7 (21.2%)
Rafa 3-1 - 4 (12.1%)
Rafa 3-2 - 2 (6.1%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 [60] Go Down Reply
Author

USO SF : Murray v Nadal

(Read 27566 times)
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: USO SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #885 on: September 14, 2011, 08:15 PM »

I can't help but wonder exactly what Djokovic has done to produce a year like this - surely cutting out gluten isn't all? Think

A slight improvement here and there and slight decline from Nadal/Federer. It's easier to criticise players than praise them when they lose, as everyone loves doing with Murray at the moment, so a myth is built up they have no chance when there really isn't that much difference between them.

In 2007-2009  :

Retired set up at Wimbledon to Nadal
Lost in 3 sets to Nadal at Hamburg
Had multiple chances to beat him at Queens
Lost in 3 sets to Nadal at the Olympics
Lost in 3 sets to Nadal at Monte Carlo
Had MP's against Nadal at Madrid

In 2010/2011 :

Beat Federer from MP down at USO
Dodged Federer at Wimbledon because he choked from 2 sets up to Tsonga
Beat Federer from MP down at USO

Really doesn't take much.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: USO SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #886 on: September 15, 2011, 03:26 AM »

Cilic has certainly disappointed so far, I wouldn't write Raonic off just yet though..no.31 in the world at 20 years old and hasn't played since Wimbledon, think he's beaten Fish twice this year as well as Verdasco, Llodra and Youzhny..with a serve like his he could go far if he continues to build on his form earlier this year. It will be interesting to see how he does when he comes back..
The good news is that Raonic will be representing Canada in this weekends DC tie.  Also he's been invited by Sampras to play an exhibition match with him - and that speaks volumes.  Fortunately he's only been out of action since Wimbledon so not exactly a long time, and he was given the option of delaying hip surgery because the problem wasn't that serious, but very wisely, in my opinion, elected to have it now rather than wait until later in his career; and also took the view that, because he's still so young, his body would heal quickly and well.

Djoko was mediocre for a good couple of years after winning the AO in 2008. I was always wondering how on earth he managed to stay in the top 3 for so long. This year has been a major surprise - gives me hope that Andy can somehow do a fraction of the same at some point, but his self belief needs to change right now. Working harder in the gym is not the solution.

I can't help but wonder exactly what Djokovic has done to produce a year like this - surely cutting out gluten isn't all? Think
It's widely believed that Djokovic consulted a sports psychologist as well as working harder on his game and fitness.  Also he's said that Serbia winning the DC for the first time last December gave him a huge boost.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: USO SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #887 on: September 15, 2011, 02:36 PM »

According to twitter, Nadal and Djokovic may not be playing Davis Cup this weekend.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: USO SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #888 on: September 15, 2011, 02:37 PM »

Another player who may be worth watching is the Aussie Bernard Tomic, he had a good run at Wimbledon but only made it into round 2 at USO. I think the jury is still out though!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: USO SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #889 on: September 15, 2011, 03:13 PM »

According to twitter, Nadal and Djokovic may not be playing Davis Cup this weekend.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nadal didn't play - Spain can probably win without him but I would have thought that Serbia would need Djokovic against Argentina.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: USO SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #890 on: September 16, 2011, 01:31 AM »

I'm sure the secret to Nole's success was his five o clock shadow. Its funny I cant recall a single commentator or sportsclub owner remarking how scruffy he looked and how he would perform better shaven. Funny that.    Whistle
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: USO SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #891 on: September 16, 2011, 07:21 AM »

MT, lots of them don't shave during tournaments. Must be a collective superstition. Wink
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: USO SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #892 on: September 16, 2011, 08:36 AM »

I'm sure the secret to Nole's success was his five o clock shadow. Its funny I cant recall a single commentator or sportsclub owner remarking how scruffy he looked and how he would perform better shaven. Funny that.    Whistle
Yes it's the same the whole world over MT - double standards.    w00t
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: USO SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #893 on: September 19, 2011, 09:38 PM »

Nadal is looking vulnerable...

Not vulnerable enough, unfortunately.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: USO SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #894 on: September 19, 2011, 10:11 PM »

I would agree - he certainly didn't look vulnerable on clay at the weekend even though he maintained that he was exhausted!
IP Logged
althusser
Junior

Re: USO SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #895 on: September 21, 2011, 12:02 PM »

Can't really understand the argument that Nole winning the DC with Serbia led to his great year. I mean I can understand him being thrilled etc, but such joy dosen't equip you to then best everyone in the game all year, including Nadal five times.

Aspects of it all don't seem to add up e.g. in the US final it was Nadal looked exhausted in the final set, despite being notorious for his endless energy. Meantime Nole, who had come through the five setter with Federer, looked much fresher!?!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: USO SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #896 on: September 21, 2011, 12:41 PM »

Nadal had a much more gruelling schedule throughout the tournament than Djokovic.  Rafa played 3 matches on consecutive days on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday and had hours of hanging around for rain delays - Novak had a day's rest inbetween each match and he also had two opponents retire without completing their matches - a much easier time in all.  While I don't take anything away from his match against Fed or the final - the pundits had agreed before the semi'final weekend that it would be virtually impossible for a player from Nadal's half of the draw to win.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: USO SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #897 on: September 21, 2011, 01:34 PM »

Not vulnerable enough, unfortunately.

In the third set of USOpen Rafa (against Novak)  looked incredibly scary and strong, but look how he faded. I do think his type of tennis must take a toll on his body.
IP Logged
althusser
Junior

Re: USO SF : Murray v Nadal « Reply #898 on: September 21, 2011, 05:10 PM »

changes in diet, confidence, winning with Serbia - sure, these can all help. But it dosen't explain how he can move from being confirmed no 3 in world, to this year playing possibly the best tennis ever played by anybody. Rafa hasn't even got close to beating in the slams. It feels a bit to good to be true
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 [60] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »