Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Wade & Sears on Euro Sport 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Wade & Sears on Euro Sport

(Read 1139 times)
Milly87
Futures Level

Wade & Sears on Euro Sport « on: October 27, 2012, 12:59 PM »

I was wondering whether anyone caught the Euro Sport pre- WTA match chit chat about the state of British tennis? I'm wondering what Nigel and the detestable Virginia Wade had to say about Andy's summer (if anything).
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Wade & Sears on Euro Sport « Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 02:01 PM »

Going by this guy's twitter, he was there to talk about Heather and Laura's recent successes, but was inevitably asked about Andy too.

https://twitter.com/Dan_Eurosport

I think the problem with Virginia is that she just doesn't get that modern tennis is different from when she played it, and modern's men's tennis is an entirely different beast to what she has first hand experience of.  I think it's difficult for her to be objective, and comes unstuck when she tries to say something "interesting".

I didn't see it, so no idea what was said.  I can't imagine Nigel would say much, because he probably knows better than to use any insider knowledge of Andy's game, but I would be interested to hear about the separate room viewing of the US Open final!
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: Wade & Sears on Euro Sport « Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 02:42 PM »

Yeah, I got the impression that it was geared at the progress on the womens' side with a passing mention of Andy's recent success-I suspect Nigel won't have gone there himself though, but maybe have been led, if at all.  I too, would love to have heard about his US Open final viewing experience! An interesting one, no doubt.

My problem with Virginia stems from her rubbishing Andy during the French Open, I think she and the Lloyds represent the 'old guard' who prefer their own kind playing tennis- polished, classy, emotions in check etc etc. Where as Andy is so unpredictable and wears his heart on his sleave, they don't get that and certainly don't know how to take it.

I think in British sport, we need to protect and get behind our own lot, especially on the world stage- if we rubbish British athletes ourseleves then that's a free invite for all other commentators, so rubbishing Britain's only hope on the mens side so publically and repeatedly really hasn't warmed me towards the Wades and Lloyds of the world.

Hoping a clip of the Sears/Croft/Wade discussion shows up!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Wade & Sears on Euro Sport « Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 03:36 PM »

Wade is boring.
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: Wade & Sears on Euro Sport « Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 03:42 PM »

Wade is boring.

*That too*
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Wade & Sears on Euro Sport « Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 03:47 AM »

Yeah, I got the impression that it was geared at the progress on the womens' side with a passing mention of Andy's recent success-I suspect Nigel won't have gone there himself though, but maybe have been led, if at all.  I too, would love to have heard about his US Open final viewing experience! An interesting one, no doubt.

My problem with Virginia stems from her rubbishing Andy during the French Open, I think she and the Lloyds represent the 'old guard' who prefer their own kind playing tennis- polished, classy, emotions in check etc etc. Where as Andy is so unpredictable and wears his heart on his sleave, they don't get that and certainly don't know how to take it.

I think in British sport, we need to protect and get behind our own lot, especially on the world stage- if we rubbish British athletes ourseleves then that's a free invite for all other commentators, so rubbishing Britain's only hope on the mens side so publically and repeatedly really hasn't warmed me towards the Wades and Lloyds of the world.

Hoping a clip of the Sears/Croft/Wade discussion shows up!

Considering some or their inapropriate negative comments Lloyd &Wade come accross to me as a bit jealous of Andy...maybe in part due to his modest upbringing...he's from Scotland... they would get a nose bleed from disorientation of visiting the place since its more than an 1hr outside of London. Also the fact he has the level of tennis talent they never came close to touching.....but bless em ...now they got nothing to say as they are too busy eating their hats still from Andy's US Open win.

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Wade & Sears on Euro Sport « Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 09:14 AM »

I'm sure their personal insecurities have coloured their judgement.   I do think that when commentating, it's easy to say something stupid, especially if you are trying to be "interesting".    I strongly suspect Wade has enjoyed being the most recent British slam winner, and the status that brings, and finds herself harking back to the olden days instead of embracing the realities of the modern game.  In contrast, Lendl has openly said that the game now is much tougher than it was when he was at the top. 

I was actually pleased that Andy stood up for himself after the French Open debacle.  She plainly didn't know what she was talking about, but decided to offer her judgement anyway.  He called her out on it.  It's good that most of the time the criticism is water off a duck's back, and he accepts that different people have a different take on things, but that situation was different.   She'd crossed the line and needed to be told.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wade & Sears on Euro Sport « Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 11:55 AM »

Hi All,

I missed the start of the coverage yesterday. I was cross with myself, I really wanted to hear if Andy's name was going to come up. Watching VW squirm whilst talking about Andy winning the US would have given me all sorts of pleasure lol. Still, there is time lol.

The problem with VW is basically that she is a vindictive old cow. She has clearly gained from being the last Brit to win a major for years, and has lived quite well off that position. Andy has clearly threatened her position, and eclipsed it now, with the Olympic gold and the USO win, and doing both against multi-slam winners at that.

Andy was dead right to stand up for himself after VW's FO rant. I still remember that day vividly. I couldn't believe what I heard coming from that woman. I knew she'd had pops at Andy before, but what she said that day was right over the top, a total disgrace. I'm sure there are things that Andy, or any player, can let go, but that day Andy's integrity was called in to question. To my mind she was effectively calling Andy a cheat and a liar, and with no evidence, so Andy was right to stand up for himself. I think it actually turned out badly for VW in the end. I think a lot of people could see how stupid her remarks were. I'd love to see what sort of post Eurosport got in the few days after that match. In a way what VW said was worse because she said it from the comfort of a TV studio. She wasn't even courtside, doing commentary, to see what the problem with Andy might have been.

The thing is, I do think some of our commentators forget what the tour is like. Some of them also have an inflated idea of their own contribution to the sport. That's why I like Petch so much. He has a good understanding of the modern game, because he has coached, and he is realistic about what he did as a player. That's not to say he has never criticised Andy. I'm sure he has. When Petch has criticised though, he has been fair. Some of our commentators have gone off at the mouth at times, and it has looked like jealousy. Barry Cowan is one of the worst offenders, he is clearly jealous of Andy, and he is a know all.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Wade & Sears on Euro Sport « Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 05:06 PM »

The Petch is my favourite comm along with Fleming.  He is so self-deprecating and humble.  Hearing his joy as he commentated over Muzza's US Open win was an absolute delight.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wade & Sears on Euro Sport « Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 10:34 PM »

The Petch is my favourite comm along with Fleming.  He is so self-deprecating and humble.  Hearing his joy as he commentated over Muzza's US Open win was an absolute delight.

I agree absolutely. Peter Fleming is a delight. He is informative without being dull, he can criticise without being unkind, and he often makes me laugh. Listening to Petch and Fleming during the USO final and Andy's Shanghai semi was great. Petch was brilliant during the USO final, and during Andy's Wimbledon semi win too. I almost wish he had done the Olympic final. I bet he loved seeing Andy play like that.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Wade & Sears on Euro Sport « Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 03:14 PM »

Andrew Castle is much more positive on Andy now too.
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: Wade & Sears on Euro Sport « Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 08:32 PM »

Just seen a tweet by TheTennisSpace that in his GQ interview, Bjorn Borg has grr grr also had a pop at Andy, saying he pretends to be tired when he's losing.  *RAGE*
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Wade & Sears on Euro Sport « Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 09:27 PM »

I don't think Borg has ever been particularly complimentary about Andy has he?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Wade & Sears on Euro Sport « Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 09:43 PM »

Well wouldn't expact the iceborg to like fiery andy. But surely a criticism he could lay against nole who is king of playing possum
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Wade & Sears on Euro Sport « Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 10:20 PM »

Just seen a tweet by TheTennisSpace that in his GQ interview, Bjorn Borg has grr grr also had a pop at Andy, saying he pretends to be tired when he's losing.  *RAGE*

Andy can look tired when he's winning or losing.  I've watched pre-match interviews and he looks tired.

I guess the next time Andy loses in a slam he can retire from the sport in a huff?  Hmm who did that again?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »