Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 24 Go Down Reply
Author

Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope?

(Read 13672 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « on: July 27, 2011, 06:28 PM »

This thread was inspired by some posts in the middle of another thread a few weeks ago when people wrote about their superstitions when watching Andy play - like wearing the same t-shirt, sitting in the same chair, clutching a muzza bear etc.  I don't do any of that.  But I sometimes find it impossible to just sit and watch when things get tense [and how often don't they get tense eh?  Whistle].  So I prowl round the room.  And I balance on my wobble cushion - that helps quite a bit.  When things get really bad I watch from the landing through the doorway, as if somehow not seeing the action so clearly will make it easier.   So was wondering how the rest of you cope with the roller coaster of watching Andy's matches on TV?  w00t
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 06:39 PM »

Valium.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 06:47 PM »

Valium.

roflmao
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 08:17 PM »

I don't cope, I disintegrate.  Some of his matches I have had to get out of the room as I really think I'm going to have a heart attack!  Other matches I have been shaking like a leaf when its all over.  I know its only a tennis match but I really get carried away when Andy plays (my husband says I should be!!)  The only time I was calm and confident about Andy was the Davis Cup in Glasgow, I knew from the moment he walked on court that he would win all his matches.  The 2009 Queens Club win was another tournament where he exuded confidence.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 08:22 PM »

I don't cope, I disintegrate.  Some of his matches I have had to get out of the room as I really think I'm going to have a heart attack!  Other matches I have been shaking like a leaf when its all over.  I know its only a tennis match but I really get carried away when Andy plays (my husband says I should be!!)  The only time I was calm and confident about Andy was the Davis Cup in Glasgow, I knew from the moment he walked on court that he would win all his matches.  The 2009 Queens Club win was another tournament where he exuded confidence.
This is my routine.I look at slam tracker and if he is winning i watch if not i never see him loose can't bear it.I did however watch queens cos i really felt like he would win .Cant see him walk off the court with his head down.I'm a Mum and Grandma when he plays i feel like he's one of mine.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 08:25 PM »

This is my routine.I look at slam tracker and if he is winning i watch if not i never see him loose can't bear it.I did however watch queens cos i really felt like he would win .Cant see him walk off the court with his head down.I'm a Mum and Grandma when he plays i feel like he's one of mine.
I'm a mum and gran as well and can relate to your feelings, when he burst into tears at Braehead well, Judy held it together better than I did!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 06:51 AM »

Behind the sofa for me....
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 07:17 AM »

Behind the sofa for me....

roflmao

I yell coaching advice and then verbally abuse him for not listening! Surely, you must have heard me?
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 12:53 PM »

roflmao

I yell coaching advice and then verbally abuse him for not listening! Surely, you must have heard me?
Thought it was my husband I was hearing
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 02:43 PM »

I'm a mum and gran as well and can relate to your feelings, when he burst into tears at Braehead well, Judy held it together better than I did!
Glad there are others like me iris.My blood pressure goes up if he starts to lose.
IP Logged
araminta
Futures Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 03:39 PM »

I yell at him -"hit the bloody thing" and call him all the names under the Sun. When I feel my heart pounding, I have to turn it off for a while. He certainly doesn't help my efforts to give up smoking. But of course there are the brilliant times when I scream "yes!!" at his amazing shots and he wins. Rough with the smooth eh?
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 03:44 PM »

Its when my husband shouts 'over the net, Andy' I find hysterical.  Shouldn't laugh, Andy probably feels frustrated as well. confused
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 07:22 PM »

roflmao

tomthoms, yes, I did wonder what that awful racket was....Wink......totally unintentional pun btw,
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 07:24 PM »

I only get to watch Andy on TV during the FO, Wimbledon and the WTF as I only have Freeview, otherwise it's live-streaming on the computer.  I cope by making comments on the match thread because that relieves the tension a bit, but, like Araminta, I can turn the air blue when he's losing or playing duff shots, and yell encouragement and bounce up and down on my chair at his brilliant play and when he wins.  Fortunately I live on my own!

I must be a real sucker for punishment though.  No matter what's happening on court, or how I'm feeling, absolutely nothing will shift me from my seat until the match is over.  I've just got to keep on watching, come hell or high water.

Oh - and my Muzza bear watches with me too and I sometimes hold him tight for comfort if unhappy or hug him with excitement.

P.S. - I quite like watching on the computer because then I can really get up close and personal!

[ Last edit by Aileen July 28, 2011, 09:15 PM ] IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 08:22 PM »

I have it easy.

When Andy is playing, I bring out my half-dozen bottles of single malt whisky and place them on the sideboard between the tv and me. As I am now  a non-drinker, I pass the time raising one bottle in admiration at Andy's success and toast his victory. When he loses or plays a dreadful shot I scream at all the bottles and inform them that's why I have given you up my former friends.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 24 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »