Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 24 Go Down Reply
Author

Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope?

(Read 11264 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 03:10 PM »

Thanks for the posts everyone.  Good to know that it's not just me that goes through the agony as well as the ecstacy when Andy is playing.  Yes I too yell at the TV when he's messing up and laugh with sheer delight sometimes at one of his wonderful shots. What is odd is that the 3 times I've watched him live I've found it much easier.  That included when he lost against Fed at O2 and when he lost 1st set at Queens.  Of course I don't want to make a complete fool of myself in public.  But I actually feel calmer.  I think it might be because by shouting I feel I can somehow influence it whereas at home I know I can't.  Has anyone else found it it's easier watching Andy in the flesh - and not just when it's clear from the outset he'll win as in your case at DC Iris?  confused
[ Last edit by Ruthie July 31, 2011, 03:26 PM ] IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 09:26 AM »

Ha ha! Love some of those antics! I can't run away and hide, as I feel that if I'm not there to send him 'the Force' and he loses, it'll be my fault, so I do a lot of talking instead! I say things like "C'mon Andy......we need a wee ace noo son! Awww....that wiz brilliant! Can ye dae another wan noo?" and "Keep yer cool son! Don't let that eejit see yer upset! Jist count tae three then focus!" My husband just 'tuts' and sighs when Andy misses a first serve. I hate that!  w00t
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 10:36 AM »

I think it depends on the match most of the time Andy wins so easily you just have to sit back and admire the guys natural talent.

It is the big ones against the top guys I get really excited, or the opposite, very upset when he is clearly going to lose.  I remember running round the house screaming like a lunatic that night he came back from 2 sets and a break down to beat Gasquet, and being similarly pumped for a few of the wins over Fed.  Sometimes though I can't watch and have to turn it off  when it all goes wrong like this year's wimby SF and the aussie open final from January, where it was just too painful to watch.  The slam finals have been a bit weird actually because they have all been funny times, like early in the morning on a wintry January, or quite late on the monday in New York.

Lots of highs and lows, happy memories, and things to forget really.  We need some matches, I have high hopes for the hard court stretch.  I don't want to see two masters series wins, a QF/SF and then a final in Cincy would do for me.  He needs to peak in NY and not before like last year.  He can definitely match Nadal and Fed on this surface, and as for the Djoker, well who knows.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 11:29 AM »

I think it depends on the match most of the time Andy wins so easily you just have to sit back and admire the guys natural talent.

I have high hopes for the hard court stretch.  I don't want to see two masters series wins, a QF/SF and then a final in Cincy would do for me.  He needs to peak in NY and not before like last year.  He can definitely match Nadal and Fed on this surface, and as for the Djoker, well who knows.

The problem with Andy's not doing too well in Montreal and Cincinnati is the intrinsic danger of his losing his number 4 position. It would be preferable for him to win and give a further boost to his confidence, which currently is on the way up. To win both tournaments before the USO would prove that he has the beating of Djokovic, Nadal and Federer.

I do accept that Masters competitions are not Slams, but it's all about confidence. Andy needs that. His talent and ability are not in dispute.

Whatever he does from now until the end of his career, let's all back him and get behind him in all aspects.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 11:46 AM »

Oh...we will....we will! jump
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 12:20 PM »

Snap. I get too excited and sit on the couch and put my hands over my eyes. I'm sure my BP must hit the roof. My husband sits and tut tuts and tells me to calm down. I get very hyper and upset if things are not going well. I love to watch when he is in brillian form like at Queen's agains Roddick . On that day Andy(M) could have walked on water he was brilliant and showed how he could play it was like watching an artist who could do no wrong. Once I have calmed down I usually watch the replay and enjoy it more when I know he has won that is also more enjoyable.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 01:16 PM »

Yep, it was easy to believe he could have 'walked on water' that day! Very Happy
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 02:44 PM »

Snap. I get too excited and sit on the couch and put my hands over my eyes. I'm sure my BP must hit the roof. My husband sits and tut tuts and tells me to calm down. I get very hyper and upset if things are not going well. I love to watch when he is in brillian form like at Queen's agains Roddick . On that day Andy(M) could have walked on water he was brilliant and showed how he could play it was like watching an artist who could do no wrong. Once I have calmed down I usually watch the replay and enjoy it more when I know he has won that is also more enjoyable.
yes I sometimes prefer it when I can't watch him in real time for some reason and have to watch the recorded version (assuming it's recordable). Always feel abit guilty!  It's wonderful watching in real time when he's walking on water but it can be agony on a bad day.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 03:51 PM »

I have sometimes found myself recording Andy's matches and sitting down to watch but then fast forwarding to nearer the end as I can't stand the suspense.  How pathetic is that! 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 12:23 AM »

Actually the most nerve-wracking moment for me is waiting for Andy to walk onto the court, so I've stopped doing it!  From his body language you get a fair idea of just how the match is going to go, i.e. which Andy has probably turned up.

IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 06:40 AM »

Yep, that's always what I look for too Aileen!
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 07:53 AM »

Why has this thread been moved to the playground?
IP Logged
marg
Junior

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 09:12 AM »

I feel most nervous when Andy is playing a lower ranked player until he has won at least a set!  He goes walkabout in his mental attitude sometimes.  This is the part of his game he needs to improve to set himself up for the major players.  I usually have a few little jobs that I go and do and return a few minutes later hoping he has got his head in gear.  I also record the match so I can watch it later it in a calmer mood.
IP Logged
marg
Junior

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 09:20 AM »

Ruthie I also prefer to watch Andy,'in the flesh'.  I have been fortunate to see him quite a number of times.  It is very different as you are very focused on the court especially at the O2 and Rod Laver.  I find I gag myself because I do not want to feel an idiot, also there is usually very little room so you have to be careful you do not get done for GBH by the person sitting next to you; you have to sit in your own space where at home well I do a lot of walking and jobs.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Watching Andy on TV: how do you cope? « Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 10:09 AM »

I get nervous and excited all at the same time. My day of chores and meal times will be placed round what time Andy is playing, if anyone rings the bell or the phone rings while Andy is playing tough, I'm not home. I have a 46" plasma so it's great viewing, I have my glass of wine at the start of the match, if things get tight, glasses of wine will be pouring till the bottle is finished. I also shout  cmon yeah, pump my fist like Andy and when an awesome shot has be played I jump up like a madwoman and shout with joy. At the end of the match I feel as though I have been through the ringer, absolutely pooped, and a little intoxicated. Also I record it and if it's a win for Andy will keep it and replay when there is nothing to watch on the box. As I just love watching Andy play, he is my number one guy. hug
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 24 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »